Suggestion: Import USPS Rate Charts or Increase Rates Button

I'm dreading the labor involved with dealing with the USPS rate increases coming (see other post). Can we have a tool to import USPS rate tables? Or if that's too challenging, can we simply have a button on the shipping method detail page that says "increase all price bands by x.x%"? US domestic first class parcel rates are going up on average 5.1%, so I'd be fine with multiplying all of my prices in the method by that amount.

Also nice to have would be a method effective date range, so we can prepare the new rate tables in advance and have the new one take effect and the old one retire automatically.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'll really try to get a "increase by x%" before the deadline
  • Personally, I would find very convenient being able to upload shipping methods generated procedurally, like uploading some XML/JSON/whatever.
  • I think setting up shipping so far is the most difficult task when starting. I think my rates are low right now and if some orders from a further zone I may be eating a bit there. I'm ok with a few dollars but I'm thinkin I should only set up shipping up to a certain weight then anything over that they need to request a quote so I can prevent myself from getting killed on a huge order. Getting something to be pulled in automatically would be the biggest upgrade imho, and could set this site even further apart from its competition.
  • I did dread :(( updating the shipping cost until I found a quick method via modifying the URL at USPS. I basically set my zip and a zip on the east coast, specified the package type and once the results populated I basically modified 0.98&dz to the next max weight in the band in the URL string http://postcalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?m=2&p=0&o=0.98&dz=33611&oz=92081&dpb=0&mdt=2015/05/11 13:00&ct=4 expanding first class mail again to get new price.
  • I have now created the thing to increase your shipping bands by certain percent, I'll be very honest and say I've only done very little testing on it, so let me know if you encounter any issues. Once you submit the form, it refreshes with the new saved prices.
  • Awesome news Lawrence! Let me know if you need a test subject anytime and I'll be glad to help.
  • Thanks Lawrence! Worked perfectly!
This discussion has been closed.