Trouble with a seller!

Yesterday I received a message from a seller that I bought a few bricks from and the seller want more money for shipment.
Before I placed an order, I sent a qoute and got respond of what it will cost to send it to me.

After 2 days (seller has already sent the order according to orderstatus) I got this message that the seller want 3 dollar more for shipment.
3 minutes later I got a new message and it says the seller want 8 dollars for shipment. Well, 3 more hours and I got a third message that it says I need to pay 9 dollar more for shipment.

I send the seller a Request a Qoute BEFORE the order was placed and sur I could have paid the 3 dollar more for shipment but when second message came, I was wondering what is happening.

Any suggestions what I should do? This is the first time I ever had "problems" with any seller on BO.

Cheers

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You are under no obligation to pay any extra money, I have contacted the store to let them know that this is unacceptable.
  • @Lawrence
    Well done on the action, I agree such behaviour should be frowend upon, and most sellers will most likely 'eat' the difference when it's not a major deal...(have done so in the past just as well)

Now just wondering: what if a seller makes a genuine mistake when quoting.
    Example: a buyer requests a quote for a larger set worthed 50, seller wants to send a quote for 16.20 but makes a typo and types 1.620 in stead, buyer checks out with 51.62 and executes instant payment.
    Assuming the seller bought the set for 40, he'd be 'at loss' on the transaction, what would be the advised action? Cancel and refund? Open a discussion line with the buyer first hoping the buyer might be understanding? Or would the seller still be 'forced' to go through with the transaction?

Pricing errors happen all the time, most retail stores have 'disclaimers' for such, on the net this is less the case, and clearly, with the autocheckout function (if shippingmethods are set up for it) it could be avoided, but still, we're still all human, so a mistake can always happen. Would a disclaimer on the homepage be of any use for example?

If we could get a little input on this, on what kind of stand BO ( so you) would have in such regards.

Kr, Eric
  • edited May 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I know I harp on about EU consumer law a lot but Brick Owl doesn't allow businesses to adequately comply with the law.

In basic terms there are three stages to an online contract. Offer, confirmation and acceptance.

Offer is basically a customer attempting to make a purchase. At this stage it is customary to be presented with terms and conditions and the offer will not proceed until they agree to them.

Confirmation is when the store acknowledges the order. A reminder of relevant terms would usually be issued by email.

Acceptance is when the business agrees to proceed. In the case of an automated checkout this usually happens when payment is received, however acceptance can be deferred to the point of despatch if - and only if - the store's terms and conditions specifically state this to be the case and the customer actively agreed to those terms at the offer stage.

The BrickOwl system fails at the offer step because stores are not able to present terms and conditions and the customer is unable to actively confirm their agreement. Because of this, acceptance automatically happens when payment is made (assuming the payment matches what the store asked for).

Had the seller in the OP and the one in Rob's example been able to defer acceptance to despatch, it would be perfectly legal for them to ask for further payment but the customer would be under no obligation to proceed.
  • The seller contacted me again and explain what happend.

And to RobErNat:
    I understand your example and for me I would have payed the extra 3, 8 or 9 dollars if the seller had sent me this question asap after shipping and with right amount in first message, but 2 days after the shipment has sent the seller message me and ask for, first 3 dollars and then 8 and finally 9 in just a few hours. Thats why I asked what to do here first.

Peace
  • That's totally unprofessional, especially for just a few bucks.

Even if he had quoted domestic shipping instead of international shipping, with a difference probably above $50, I think the proper behavior would have been to politely ask to cancel the order, perhaps with a coupon to apologize.