My Hello World thread.

Hey folks, Software Developer/Lego Enthusiast/Father of Lego Maniacs here. Wanted to say hello and thank the Brick Owl crew for providing a really nice platform for us to buy and sell. I've only been selling legos for about 3 weeks now but it's an addiction that caught on quick. My wife and kids are now gung ho with me on this and helping find those gems on the shelves. My store is named after my children (Gianna & Connor). I have to say things have evolved quickly, but I'm still learning some of the tricks that other long-term investors have gathered over the years. I've made bad purchases, I've overpaid for sets, and I've sold things too cheap as well. It's all part of the learning process I suppose.

My first thoughts on Brick Owl - Very Smooth Interface! Good job! I feel like I can list things much easier here than on other outlets (Ebay especially). Looking to make this site my home, listing things here first going forward.

We have been somewhat documenting our new adventure via YouTube as well, if you happen to be interested: https://www.youtube.com/user/DivingDW

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As another software developer and Lego enthusiast, welcome!

BrickOwl is a great platform. If you read the forum, you'll find we still like to complain, but that's just because we know constructive criticism is well received and considered. :)
  • Welcome aboard. I will use this as further evidence there is a correlation between software development and Lego enthusiasm.
  • Welcome @DivingDW

I think Lawrence might be onto something.

I spent most of the day today at FB. In the building where I was, one of the entertainment is a giant lego wall where folks do mosaics (see blurry picture).

In my own company, one of the break room has some interesting builds and a lot of desks have MOCs sitting on them

• Lol, well I think everyone loves legos, not just us. My wife is a bartender and I think sometimes she likes them more than I do. We developers just are more outspoken about it I suppose :)

Unfortunately my workplace isn't nearly as cool as yours @OverTheBrick, but I have sold a few sets to co-workers this past week who proudly display them in their cubes once they complete them. Our only common area contains a coffee machine and a fridge. Conference rooms are surrounded by white boards with boring things on them no one pays attention to. However I do get every other Friday off to spend extra time with the fam and never get called on weekends. So I can't complain all that much, lol. But I am jealous!
  • More than a correlation, I actually believe playing with Lego as a kid made me a software programmer later on!

Conceptually, the two activities are very similar: they involve building something complex from very few basic elements, it requires planning, imagination, debugging... :D

I'm a 2 hours flight away from the office, but I haven't seen my colleagues tinker with Lego. Still, one of them is building rockets in his garage (with his own aluminum foundry), another one made a remote control for his car (using the cellphone network)... That counts for something!
  • @correlation for programmers/LEGO

I had a contact a while ago who was a programmer and was selling off their entire collection and I bought it. I don't mean just a few sets. For his time as a programmer (and now retired) I purchased thousands of dollars of sets he had built and stored over the years. Definitely a good buy/sell relationship with us. @Admin another example to note :)

Chris