List sorting orders not remembered

I don't know if anyone else noticed this. Since the mobile-responsive redesign of the website, sorting orders for lists (list of items in orders, stores page, etc.) no longer appear persistent. It seems to stick around a little, but then reverts to the default sorting orders later on.

Did anyone notice this?

Comments

• 42 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have, haven't worked out the issue yet, but I will.
  • Also now some green buttons are appearing in front of listings, when clicking them it gives extra info, the bad part is that the countries where the sellers are located is no longer showing at the end of the line, so one would need to open them all if one has a country of preference :-(
  • I'm really not fond of these green buttons either. I like having all information available at once, having to click around constantly in bothersome (same goes for seeing lot quantities in stores).

It's made worse by the fact that I need to do some arcane device width override to actually get the full website on my Nexus 5 phone and Nexus 7 tablet...
  • @robernat what device are you using when you see the green buttons?
  • @lawrence:
    My laptop...
    I'm old school, no Smartphones (or Iphones or whatever) for me, occasionally a Tablet (handy on holiday), but I don't go smaller :-D
  • Ah okay, would you be able to let me know what your screen resolution is?
  • Are these the green buttons that have just appeared on the left.
    Also not a fan of these.
    Seeing them on ipad2 and iPhone 6.
  • I noticed it too. Seems like in order items, the primary sorting column is remembered but the secondary one ends up forgotten after I restart my computer. Hope it gets fixed soon, on my computer it's not a very big deal but it's very tedious for me to set the sorting right on my tablet, as I have to borrow my dad's keyboard to be able to hold down SHIFT :P
  • That list ordering glitch is annoying, I now have to reprint about 20 pages of picking list as they weren't ordered by picking location. Fixing that bug would be great.

Maybe I should just learn how to print in my own software already...
  • The sorting ordering should now be fixed
  • Yup, thanks Lawrence! :)
  • Hmm, this issue returned :(
    It keeps reverting, actually immediately after I left a page and opened another one on my tablet. I am aware I can set my sorting in a way it is remembered by holding shift down, this is what I do on my PC, but I don't have a keyboard for my tablet. Any way that it can remember my sorting settings on my tablet?
  • Sorting is only remembered on the actual device, it is not maintained across multiple devices
  • Even on that one device it keeps resetting every time I open another received order..
  • I don't believe anything has been changed recently with regards to that section of code, and it seems to still be working for me, have you maybe turned off cookies, or added some kind of privacy protection thing.
  • Yeah I was already guessing it's depending on my tablet's mood.. I'll check cookies and privacy settings.. thanks :)
  • I've used a different browser now (firefox) and it doesn't work, even though it's set to accept cookies and has no security restrictions. It remembers form contents on websites etc, but this sorting order is lost instantly as soon as I navigate away from the page... it used to work before, odd... :/
  • edited September 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    It seems to me like something really did change, I checked but this happens to me in all browsers on all devices. Sorting order is only properly remembered now when I hold shift down when selecting the arrows, while after the fix earlier on this year, it was also remembered without shift. As mentioned, the problem is that I don't have shift on my tablet. The result is that the picking list is by default all jumbled up and not matching my storage order nor the order on my PC..
    If remembering the order in this way is unreliable, then it'd be good if there'd be an alternative way to pin down the sorting order using something other than the shift key..
  • I'm afraid I'm not able to reproduce the issue, could you give reproduction steps for how you are encountering this issue?
  • As Teup says, no way to keep the setting 'fixed', last bunch of orders I had to change the way it was displayed each time before printing. Not a major issue if forgotten when it's a one page order, but soon it's several pages it's a burdon if one forget's to 'sort' an order prior to printing. I believe we discussed this in PM as well, but it goes back to original setting far more then I clear cookies or cache. Would appreciate an extra option in the sorting methods to solve this:
    Condition/Remarks/color or just Remarks (should do the trick as well), as it would make sellers less depended from their browsers (or different devices).
    Exactly; It's a burden to each time set the sorting order right upon loading the page on my tablet. Plus, I forget half of the time, or someone else forgets to do it, and then when I verify the order contents on my PC the order is different which makes it tedious to check if everything is there.

Here are the steps;

- I open a received order
    - I have the second column set to "Category / Name (ID) Color / Note" and press the arrow so it points up so it sorts A-Z
    - I then press the arrow of the first column so it points up so it sorts New-Used

The order is now neatly sorted alphabetically and new and used split... until I navigate away from it and reopen it. It then keeps the new/used split but within those categories it is all jumbled up again. Earlier on this year, it would keep the order. I've been away this summer, so can't say when it changed for me..
  • As I read the issue, it is the column sorting. Users want to group the sorting. This can be done on a windows PC by holding the shift key and press the columns you want to have sorted. On a tablet or IPad sorting cannot be done with multiple columns. If somebody know how to manage this, please let me know
    I only use a PC, and never use a tablet, Ipad or another PC, and I'm the only one who touches my orderforms, still doesn't remember my setting (while it used to work fine a couple of months back), the only thing I can think of is a Firefox upgrade or a change on BO. I am aware my settings are wiped when I clear browser history and cookies, but that's only every few weeks...
    Would really like to have this as a fixed setting in the options menu for order sorting. Adding a few options to have it permanently sorted would make sellers less dependend on the columns (or the combinations of them)

Also these green buttons I mentioned earlier in the thread (may 1st) still pop up once in a while, not that often, maybe once or twice per month. I just close my browser and start again, then they are gone again, pretty weird, as I never touch my screen resolution...
  • @Teup you don't mention holding down the shift in your steps there, the system will only remember the columns that are highlighted with blue arrows. It sounds like you are telling the system just to remember the condition sort. There is a little help note explaining the procedure just above the table.

@Robernat Could you explain the issue you are having, including reproduction steps?

I do understand there is a separate issue with tablet users not being able to use the shift key. I am also aware those green icons sometimes incorrectly appear, that is an issue I still need to resolve.
  • Can the tablet issue, and perhaps the other issues here, be overcome by adding more options to the drop-down menu?
    @Teup you don't mention holding down the shift in your steps there, the system will only remember the columns that are highlighted with blue arrows. It sounds like you are telling the system just to remember the condition sort. There is a little help note explaining the procedure just above the table.
    Yes. So here is the punch line of the problem.... there's no such thing as shift on my tablet :) So for some random reason, it used to remember it even without shift for a while this year, but not any longer. So my point was, it'd be good if either it would remember it like that again, or the interface would be tweaked in such a way I could do what I do with shift on my PC :)
    Also, the second solution would have the added benefit of making this feature (which is very useful) more accessible to people. I also had to have someone on the forum telling me about the shift trick before I knew that was possible :)
  • I don't remember it ever saving column sorting in that way, it should only save the state of the blue arrows. The issue of column sorting for tablets is on the task list.
  • Also these green buttons I mentioned earlier in the thread (may 1st) still pop up once in a while
    I'm also seeing these green buttons regularly, whenever scrolling a catalog page before it finishes loading on Firefox. They are really getting annoying.

What about disabling these green buttons permanently when the user-agent is a desktop? What about only allowing them when "mobile" is found in the user-agent string?
  • I am aware of the green button issue and need to resolve it, however using user agents would only worsen the situation. I seem to remember previously discussing user agents with you, if you google them, I'm sure there will be many angry folk explaining.
  • I seem to remember previously discussing user agents with you
    Yes... :) and I'm sure you are right. I'm just looking for a way, any way whatsoever, to tell BrickOwl I don't want to see these green buttons.

On a mobile device, clicking "Show Desktop site" makes the green buttons disappear permanently, yet it appears to have no effect on a desktop (after forcing the link to appear by resizing the window).
  • edited October 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Lawrence
    Sorry I didn't get back to this earlier, I was waiting to get an order with a good mix of everything, got one now (6929976 if you wanna check your side), so these are the things happening:
    When opening the order, items are displayed by condition and based on the indication of the drop box (seems like that always gets remembered somehow, the arrow is blue and up): The order is: New, used acceptable, used good, used like new.

Now the first issue I encounter when playing a bit with the blue squares is the following:
    Items are sorted by condition and I manage to sort by note BUT it's scattered around because the system keeps sorting partially by condition, no problem for new, new is new, but it's a problem with 'used', those are stored in the same boxes, regardless whteher acceptable, good or like new, the sorting should be independend of the quality of 'used', used is used and they are stored together regardless of their subquality. So I'm geting yellow (acceptable), medium stone, blue, yellow(good), yellow(like new), and so I have 'yellow' parts in acceptable AND good AND like new with the same remarks (so same boxes) but with some other colors in between. Now this order is on 1 page (reduced size to print), but if there are a bunch of other colors and more parts, it means if I go down the list, well a page or 2 later I need to open the same boxes :-(

Now whatever order I use the blue squares on (condition, selection box and note box), I manage to somehow sort in a fair way, in this case: condition and then note, I first get a bunch of used parts, fairly well sorted by note, then the new parts, also nicely sorted by note, then again used parts (regardless of condition), so clearly the 'condition' has become of no (or less) importance, and 'note' has become most importent, the way I have my notes causes to split the 'used' section into 2 parts (new items have 'new' in the note, so starts with an N in my notes), so it's like the combination of the 2 blue squares doesn't really remember me pressing the first selection, only the last press (note)

Still, at this point I'm fairly happy with the sorting, so I print the order.

Now the bad part: I close the page ( not even the browser), open another one, browse a bit on the site, go back to the order (all still fine), browse some more, read a bit on the forum (or write on it), for 4 or 5 minutes, check the order again: bam, sorting is gone :-(
    Not a problem at that time (as it's printed), but if I get another order, the sorting needs to be redone as it seems to be back at the 'option box' setting (and any use of the blue squares on condition and/or note are simply 'gone')

So for me (and probably many other sellers) it would be great if the option box would have a couple of extra settings that are system based and 'fixed' , by including things like 'condition' (but without relevance of subcondition of used) / 'note' / 'color' and Note / condition / color, things like that depending a bit on some sellers preferences. I do understand you cannot make 140 options in the drop box, but a few more (particulary one with note first, as most sellers most likely have some sort of a storage system that is note based) would be nice, and it would make us less dependend of our browser or from BO (really dunno which one is causing this). But this sorting was working in the past and stayed around for weeks (untill I cleared cookies, as we discussed in PM a few weeks back).

So if you could have a look at some additional options in the drop box (or make it a sellers setting that gets stored, by allowing sellers to make their own combination), that would be great ;-)

Cheers, Eric
  • edited October 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I'm happy to make extra options in the drop down box if you are specific about which you need. I'm afraid I'm not able to follow what the issue is exactly with the sorting though, could you phrase it in terms of "Expected Behaviour, Actual Behaviour, Reproduction Steps". I do understand the latter issue of the sorting options being forgotten, but I don't have a resolution for that, as it seems browser specific, like some kind of security setting automatically wiping local storage after a period of time.
  • @Lawrence If local storage can't be trusted, what about sending a little message to BrickOwl whenever the sorting order is modified? That sorting order would be remembered by BrickOwl and set as default when loading pages, even for mobile devices.
  • @Lawrence
    Expected behaviour:
    When I click CTRL, then click 'condition' I want items be sorted by new and used (without subconditon) or the opposite depending whether I press the up or down arrow. By pressing the 'note' option, I want 'new' to be sorted by note, and 'used' to be sorted by note.
    Actual behaviour: When clicking 'condition', then 'note', it seems to forget I pressed condition and simply sorts by note

Option box:
    Note + condition
    Condition + note
  • So you would need to hold down the CTRL key, click condition, and then note, then release the key. It needs to be held down.
  • @Lawrence
    Are you talking current 'requirement' here or asking how I would like to have things work?
    It is not clear whether it is an explantation or a question. If it's an explanation then that is exactly what I have been doing, if it's more of a question (for future functionality), then I got the feeling this selection thing ain't working the way I thought it was...
  • Oh, I'm confused now. I thought you were experiencing a bug with sorting and I was trying to understand reproduction steps but I may have misunderstood

• I do understand there is a separate issue with tablet users not being able to use the shift key. I am also aware those green icons sometimes incorrectly appear, that is an issue I still need to resolve.
    Any idea when the shift issue will be resolved? It's tedious to have these mismatching lists all the time when technically it doesn't have to be a problem.
  • It's really quite tedious having these mismatching list orders all the time and it makes me very prone to make errors and there is no real reason for this problem..

I am really surprised I seem to be the only one bringing it up? Surely I can't be the only one who's using a tablet and has specific sorting preferences?
  • I don't have an issue of memory but there are some very weird things going on for a while.
    On different OS and Browsers

Problem 1/
    Order in regular view is correct
    Switch to invoice view
    Navigate back to regular view. Order is random

Problem 2/
    In invoice view
    no matter what order I pick when I print the invoice the order is by color

Problem 3/
    Order should be sorted better.
    For example lets say I sort by color
    I see in the list
    plate 1 x 1
    plate 1 x 2
    plate 1 x 6
    plate 2 x 6
    plate 1 x 4
    plate 2 x 4

I would expect:
    plate 1 x 1
    plate 1 x 2
    plate 1 x 4
    plate 1 x 6
    plate 2 x 4
    plate 2 x 6

Problem 4/
    Occasionally one lot is miss-placed

plate 1 x 1 blue
    plate 1 x 1 green
    plate 1 x 1 red
    plate 1 x 2 blue
    plate 1 x 6 black
    plate 1 x 2 trans yellow <- why not next to the other 1 x 2

I suspect on the last one that it might be that some parts have multiple IDs and the newer colors have the lasted ID only and we sort using the first ID in the list as opposed to the last

• Problem 3/
    Order should be sorted better.
    For example lets say I sort by color
    I see in the list
    plate 1 x 1
    plate 1 x 2
    plate 1 x 6
    plate 2 x 6
    plate 1 x 4
    plate 2 x 4

I would expect:
    plate 1 x 1
    plate 1 x 2
    plate 1 x 4
    plate 1 x 6
    plate 2 x 4
    plate 2 x 6

But if you sort primarily by colour and by description secondary (clicking the column with Shift), it should work, right? That's the problem I'm currently having on my tablet: I have no shift key there. I want to split 'new' and 'used' and then sort all categories alphabetically, but this keeps resetting as long as there is no way to fix these columns without a shift key. So it splits only 'new' and 'used' but within those two, the order appears arbitrary.