mobile device

I am not able to view the site on my mobile device as well as before. The information overlaps. Is there a way to fix this?

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I noticed that to, just this afternoon
  • I'm not fond of the reduced viewport on mobile either... "Request desktop site" isn't helping, only configuring a different viewport size does (and most stock browsers don't support that).
  • It is not just the mobile layout affected. I can't print an invoice correctly anymore (what use to print on one page now takes 3 !)
  • I think the new mobile version is great, much easier to deal with on a small screen. Much appreciated. Unlike others above, haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Using latest Android version.
  • Well, I assume it's a first draft and issues will be resolved over the next few days.
    Or click here for the original 1200x1920 version. Personally, I prefer the desktop version on a high resolution screen.
  • @Jojostoyshop which pages in particular are you having issue with?
    @OverTheBrick can you confirm if this is now resolved?
    @Stragus those highlighted issue should be resolved

On a more general note, I must admit this isn't the best work I've ever done, I was in a rush to simply pass the Google Mobile friendly test on the public facing pages and clearly have not checked enough pages for their compatibility.
  • I was having trouble with the My Store page, but that seems to be resolved. I'm still having trouble with the Stores tab. Also, I noticed that the mobile home page does not have any of the best selling items, featured items, or recently listed items. My moble storefront is also missing the best selling items, featured items, and recently listed items.
  • @Lawrence this is still not good for me (although better).
    The spacing between the line items is now more reasonable but the "Order Details", "Order Totals" and Address boxes that use to be displayed side by side are now on top of each others taking a lot more room.
  • @OverTheBrick my apologies, please try again. The system was treating the printer as a small device, I've now excluded printers from the responsive stuff

@Jojostoyshop I've now changed the stores list to be responsive. I decided to remove blocks such as best selling items etc from the mobile view due to the limited space available.
  • Looks better now, thanks!
  • I like how the site looks on my phone now. Very nice.
  • edited April 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Lawrence You are probably aware of this but I feel the mobile layout could still be improved... I think the header should fit on a single line on my device (or at least make the search box wider if it's going to take two lines). The forum page links are still hidden by a button.

And that's probably not intended:

Also, when in a store, I find the very important "My Cart", "Store Information" and "Wishlists" boxes are waayy too far down. I think we need at least quick links to these somewhere at the top, somehow.

Lastly, when someone does "Request Desktop Site" and the user-agent is set as such, could you disable the responsive stuff (or just fake a very large viewport) to give the true desktop site?
  • I've sorted the issue with the user drop down, the issue with the forum will appear fixed when some caches update. The CSS for that is different to the main site so it doesn't have the usual fancy cache, forcing stuff.

Could you explain what "request desktop site" is?
  • On Android, "Request Desktop Site" is something you can do to prevent the server trying to give you the mobile-friendly version of a site. It doesn't always work because it depends on how the website achieves the responsive design.
  • Ah I see, we don't do any user agent stuff in relation to the responsive layout, that would be a nightmare to maintain.
  • Apple devices can also request a website's dekstop version. Personally, I find it darn annoying when websites just ignore that request.

@Lawrence What about faking a large viewport when the user-agent matches a desktop version request? Replacing "device-width" with something more desktop-like?
  • I'm afraid I don't want to do anything with user agents, they are a notoriously unreliable way of working out what the user is actually running, it's quite interesting if you Google it. I will make a note to consider some sort of button at the bottom of the page.
  • @Lawrence I see, I tried it out... With Android/Chrome, the HTTP User-Agent header string removed keywords such as "Android" and "Mobile" to pretend being a Linux x86_64 machine instead. They really should have added an unambiguous header, that's messy to support all browsers/platforms.

Ah well, some link to switch to the desktop website with a cookie would work.

I would still suggest clamping the viewport size at a minimum of 980 when "Linux x86_64" is found in the User-Agent string. It can't do any harm, right? :)