Been here a week. Last night I encountered my first problem.

Hi guys, love the site.
I've made quite a few orders, filling out mine and my kids' Lego collection, replacing missing pieces and such.
Mostly flawless transactions, all paid with PayPal.

Last night I made an order with Rauch Bricks, @pdr507, and when I was redirected to PayPal to pay, it accepted my payment, but then gave me an error message on the next screen.
It warned me not to hit the back button, but to wait 30 minutes, delete cookies, and reload the site (this one and PayPal).
I did as instructed, and when I signed into PayPal the payment was there, but then disappeared.
Frustrated at this point, I checked the confirmation email I received, and it said If I had not paid, I could click here (PayPal link in the email).
I clicked that, got an error message from PayPal that was an old link that was no longer recognised by PayPal, it stated that normally happened with bookmarks.

I contacted the seller last night, and again today, to let them know what was going on, and see if a payment is showing up on their end. Obviously I would hate to pay twice.

Also as a side note, as a newbie to the site, last night was when I first discovered I, as the buyer, could edit the status of the order.
I clicked "Payment Submitted" inadvertently while trying to resubmit a pay order.
So, at least now I'm marking orders as received when I get them ^_^ So there's that.
I have left feedback for everything I have received, though.

tl;dr: Paypal glitch? PayPal link in confirmation email is bad. Love the site overall, though.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you had, if the PayPal payment definitely isn't in your PayPal account, then you should be able to pay using the link. I have just double checked it against the API and it is correct, although I have seen that error you mention before. Despite it mentioning bookmarks, often clearing cookies seems to solve the issue, even though this is a massive inconvenience it shouldn't happen in the first place. Most other stores use a different type of PayPal integration which doesn't have any of these issues.
  • Thank you for the reply, @Lawrence.
    I have just cleared cookies, and tried the PayPal link in the email a second time, with the same error message. Invalid link.
    I am not sure what to do now.

Wait? I guess 8->
  • Ah, I only have annoying solutions for you in that case, like trying a different browser. I did try the link that you were sent by e-mail and it opens correctly for me to the payment page.
  • Haha :p

Done, and done.
    Tried Chrome, Safari, and ...ugh, IE.

Same message every time.
    Outdated link to PayPal.

The seller has contacted me now, though, seeing if he can reopen it so I can pay :)
  • I understand these are issues we may encounter if we, sellers, receive payments through a personal Paypal account?

That's a fairly convincing reason to go with a business Paypal account.
  • He could always give me his direct PayPal email, to send payment to, I guess.
    I could reference the order number, do an end around on the whole business :)

Business PayPal accounts are rather expensive, aren't they?

I remember looking into many years ago when I was selling online.
  • Also, @Stragus, I've ordered 27 times this week, this is the first time this has happened.

Thought maybe he (seller) might need to approve the payment, or summat, but he seems as confused as I am.
  • edited April 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @ScorpionReaver Right. I'm a seller still using a Paypal personal account (for which the payment integration is limited), and I have had 2 or 3 similar payment glitches in 500 orders. The buyers didn't describe the problem as well as you did though, and we just resolved by sending the payment manually.

The payment integration for business Paypal accounts is far more robust. These accounts are also free, it just involves filling some virtual paperwork.
  • Oh, nice!
    Thanks for the info.
  • Ah, well thanks for trying those options. Another idea then, ask the seller to send you a paypal invoice to your Brick Owl email address. They can find it from the contact button on your user profile.
  • Just sent the payment manually.
    That, should be that :)

Thanks to everyone for the replies, advice, and insight.
  • This thread finally convinced me to upgrade the Paypal payment method to the one for business accounts.

Is there some kind of automated test to verify successful Paypal API integration? If so, it would be reassuring to tell that to the seller after it's set up (compared to just waiting for an order to come through).
  • I was going to do an order, help you out, @Stragus. But my goodness, shipping from Canada is HIGH

:-O
  • @ScorpionReaver Eh, tell me about it! Shipping is okay within Canada and to the U.S., but for the rest of the world, it's only viable for orders with a high value/weight ratio (minifigs and so on). There's also some very cheap surface shipping, but that takes 4-6 weeks. :D

Thanks though!
  • @Stragus you can try to make a payment through your store, you don't have to go to full checkout, just the payment part