Your thoughts on Catalogue Voting

I wanted to gather some feedback on an idea I have been thinking of for a while before I go to implementation.

The idea would be to have a screen similar to the current pending submissions screen for yourself like http://www.brickowl.com/user/1910/contributions/pending/all but it would have some approve and deny voting buttons along with the current score. Users with over 100 catalogue points could vote on submissions, I would then see this voting total and use it to more quickly decide whether a submission should be approved not.

When I then approve and deny a submission, people who have correctly voted would receive 10% of the points for that submission, or possibly if they have incorrectly voted they would receive -10%, but I'm not sure about that last bit.

Potentially in the future the process could be automated so if X amount of users with X amount of authority approve a submission it would be automatically approved etc.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Bit confused about voting incorrectly. How can a person incorrectly vote?
  • So if they vote for the submission to be approved, but I deny it for example
  • I love the idea, especially if this is a first step toward automated approval (by popular vote of a trusted group). When we get there, I think any 'deny' vote should have more weight than a single 'approve' vote, to prevent automated approval in potentially complex cases.
  • I love this idea. This will certainly make it easier for Admin. It will also help BO and all of us have a complete and accurate catalog.
    It would be obvious if there are 50 approve votes and 2 deny votes then the odds are it is a good change/edit.

I do like the -10% for incorrect votes. This would stop people from abusing the system. Otherwise I could go through and just approve everything and see how many points I could get. With the -10% this would deter this behavior.

Great idea indeed!

Chris
  • I do like the -10% for incorrect votes. This would stop people from abusing the system. Otherwise I could go through and just approve everything and see how many points I could get. With the -10% this would deter this behavior.
    Actually, -10% wouldn't be enough to deter that behavior. If there are more submissions approved than rejected, you would still be statistically winning by approving everything. The penalty would have to be much harsher, perhaps even different for a false positive and a false negative (since one is far more likely).

Alternatively, the system could track a per-user accuracy percentage, to determine the value of their vote.

Or... just get rid of the point incentive entirely, voting is quick and relatively effortless.
  • I like the accuracy percentage one. Great one @Stragus. I am sure most of us would not abuse it. I just know there is always "that one" who sees loopholes in everything.
    The extra catalog points are definitely a bonus but I do agree that even if no extra points are involved we could still get catalog submissions completed faster.

Also another thought for @Admin to ponder on:
    Once X amount of submissions have been voted and approved, the users who fall into that tier will get bonus points.
    Example:
    Every 100 successful votes gives you 300 bonus points
    After 1,000 successful votes you get 500 bonus point for every 100 successful votes.

Adjust points/tiers as needed. Just a thought.

Chris
  • Any idea that involves 'users' input is a good idea and it might be the first step (besides an automated approval) to have people help out on approvals. I assume your suggestion is mainly for minibuilds and pictures ? Or will it be for other things like Tags as well?