Request a quote - a couple of useful additional features

Just a couple things that I've been meaning to suggest for a while...

1. Would it be possible to offer customers a shipping choice (ie. 1st class or 2nd class) when providing a shipping quote and if so, could this be passed to the shipping method in any resulting order, replacing 'Request a quote'?

2. When a seller enters comments into the shipping quote request notes, could those comments be retained as order notes in any resulting order?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It a good idea as sometimes a buyer ask me in the message for a 1st class post for urgent orders and those messages disappeared once it been ordered. So at the moment I used 2nd class shipping when I get quotes, now none used so far since I opened up the Shipping methods.
  • sometimes a buyer ask me in the message for a 1st class post for urgent orders and those messages disappeared once it been ordered.
    Exactly - there's no visible record of any message sent with a quote. Also, as it stands at the moment, sellers have to guess whether to quote 1st or 2nd class, or delay answering the quote request while potential shipping preferences are discussed via the message system.

• Wouldn't it be easier if besides the normal quote we could just 'select' the options that we have available in our shop and send them to the buyer as 'quote', with the possibility to send 2 of them, so that the buyer still can choose from both options. It would be a lot easier compared to manually fill a quote over and over and type some extra info... After all, for most shippingmethods the options have been set up, it's oftenly just an item (or a few) that is causing the buyers seeing a much higher cost and therefor asking a quote, while it could easely fit the presetted methods.
    @Lawrence
    An option?
  • @Lawrence
    Did you give this some thoughts?
    Just had 2 potential buyers the past 3 days requesting a quote on potential orders, they even fit my presetted methods, I have no idea 'why' they chosed to request a quote (I tested myself and it worked fine with my presetted methods), but it would be nice to be able to simply select (preferably 2) our presetted methods for such, and lock them to the buyers cart.
  • I won't be implementing number one as I prefer for the normal shipping system to be used, number two is a good idea.
  • Happened to me a couple of times (at least 15 times) that buyers ask for a quote, and I quoted them the exact same amount as my preset methods that where available to them. Most turned into orders anyway. I guess they just try to get cheaper shipment? And why not :)
  • Don't forget there is an option to show quote only if your normal methods can't calculate a price. That would solve the issue described (although may create other issues depending on your needs).
  • I do exactly what DadsAFOL does.
    I get quoted in rare situations. I make sure I have a large enough box for dimensions and weight standard. I also have multiple methods for countries. I also have multiple countries set up on their own rates. Its nice and less time consuming when you don't have to manually quote anyone.

Chris
This discussion has been closed.