Coupons

The coupon % off feature took the percentage off the order + shipping total, not the order total. Can that be corrected, or can you add an option to control that behavior?

Other coupone suggestions:
1. Add a "free shipping" option that allows the coupon to zero out or offset the postage.
2. Add "rules" for coupons to avoid misuse, such as x% off if order total is greater than $y
3. Add one-time use option so that a customer can only use that coupon once, such as a new customer referrral discount.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Before I issue any coupons, I wonder if Jason's above recommendations have been implemented. I would use them all.
  • ^^ I noticed that with my order... I'm glad I wasnt able to upload my big parts lists, or I'm thinking I'd be really excited, or have a hard conversation...
  • Sorry, I only noticed the suggestions and not the bug. Looks like I specifically put in code for it to include shipping when I was doing the absolute discount. I've removed it for a moment.

If you give someone a £15 coupon and the order comes to £5 item and £5 shipping, what should it do?
  • ^ I would think it would be, for at least the % couponers:

Percentage Coupon --- % off sale + Shipping rate, regardless of amount.
  • Keep it simple. Fixed AND percentage based coupon discounts should only be allowed on the order itself and not shipping. Sellers have profit margins on their inventory that can absorb a coupon discount. They have no such margin on shipping.

Thor
  • I think I will make it include the shipping for the fixed discount, I know some sellers give the buyer a coupon instead of a refund, so in this case it would need to be a real amount they could use
  • It would be nice if we could have an expiration on coupons as well. I give them to all my repeat buyers on BL, but I have a 4 month out expiration. I see it as a bit of a nudge to return sooner than later. Also, if I'm running a really good sale, that extra 5% can really cut into profit. This allows me to limit the number of open coupons I have.
    thanks,
    Katie
  • Katie makes some good points. Perhaps you could also tweak the coupon feature so that sellers can opt to NOT apply the coupon discount to items on sale. Or to perhaps limit the discount to, for example, parts. Like many sellers, I have a lower profit margin on sets and minifigures than I do on parts.

Or, even better, perhaps there could be a checkbox next to each listing which, if checked by the seller, would exclude that lot from being eligible for any coupon discount. This would be the ultimate way for sellers to control what is or is not eligible for coupon discounts. It would also be another way to improve and differentiate BO from BL.

Thor
  • I love the idea with checkboxes next to each listing. And what about a drop down menu for the checkbox, allowing for instance 'make offer' ?