Shipping Method problem

Hi,
i'm testing my new shipping methods to remove the "request a quote" function but everytime i change the country in my checkout page, i get the error "An illegal choice has been detected. Please contact the site administrator."

What does it means?
Obviously i choose country that i include in my shipping method preferences.

Thanks a lot

Ale

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You may need to refresh the page that is giving that error after you've updated your shipping methods.
  • You may need to refresh the page that is giving that error after you've updated your shipping methods.
    Done but i've got the same error everytime.

• Ok, probably i've found the problem.

Everything is OK if i enable all my shipping methods except "Request a quote"; when i enable this one , i've got the error.

I disable it, all ok.

In "request a quote" i only set these options:

Only show if no other method available
    Select which countries this shipping method applies to WORLD

Thanks

Ale
  • @Razer
    I wouldn't disable Quote request, as a lot of data is still missing in the database, like sizes of minifigs for starters. Items with unknown sizes receive a 'virtual' size that is much bigger then actual size, so you might scare buyers away if they can't even request a quote assuming shipping might be a lot less.
    Do you have a correct payment method set up for all countries? If your quote request is 'world' then you should have at least 1 payment method setup for all countries, otherwise the system tells you there is indeed a problem (but doesn't affect the use of it: I have a yellow banner all the time myself telling me I have a problem myself:
    ** You have shipping methods set up to ship to more countries than you have payment methods allow. Edit your payment methods to apply to more countries **
    I can't find the error, because the system doesn't give me a clue on 'where' the error is (like putting countries in red in the shippingmethods that don't have a payment method).
    I'm not really bothered by it though...

I also would suggest to add some 'no tracking' options in your store (you can set a limit on the value for such orders). I just added a couple of small parts from your store in a cart and when I went to checkout, the only option I had was 8.10 Euro (tracked shipment), if a buyer ends up with a cart of 5-10 Euro with a 30 grams cart, 8.10 Euro shipment might look 'too much', knowing Italy you can ship such for about 4.00 Euro, so offering both methods to your buyers might be more effective.
    Unless you are determined to ship every single order with tracking offcourse & depending whether you trust buyers choosing 'without tracking' (doesn't seem to cause major problems on BO) ;-)

• @Razer
    I wouldn't disable Quote request, as a lot of data is still missing in the database, like sizes of minifigs for starters. Items with unknown sizes receive a 'virtual' size that is much bigger then actual size, so you might scare buyers away if they can't even request a quote assuming shipping might be a lot less.
    Do you have a correct payment method set up for all countries? If your quote request is 'world' then you should have at least 1 payment method setup for all countries, otherwise the system tells you there is indeed a problem (but doesn't affect the use of it: I have a yellow banner all the time myself telling me I have a problem myself:
    ** You have shipping methods set up to ship to more countries than you have payment methods allow. Edit your payment methods to apply to more countries **
    I can't find the error, because the system doesn't give me a clue on 'where' the error is (like putting countries in red in the shippingmethods that don't have a payment method).
    I'm not really bothered by it though...

I also would suggest to add some 'no tracking' options in your store (you can set a limit on the value for such orders). I just added a couple of small parts from your store in a cart and when I went to checkout, the only option I had was 8.10 Euro (tracked shipment), if a buyer ends up with a cart of 5-10 Euro with a 30 grams cart, 8.10 Euro shipment might look 'too much', knowing Italy you can ship such for about 4.00 Euro, so offering both methods to your buyers might be more effective.
    Unless you are determined to ship every single order with tracking offcourse & depending whether you trust buyers choosing 'without tracking' (doesn't seem to cause major problems on BO) ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions..
    No tracking option is my next step but i'm not so sure to add it..Italian post could lost my package and i have no idea where my package would be.

But, i understand, that if a buyer add 30grams of item , 8.10 euros for a registred mail is a little bit expensive.

Thanks a lot
  • @razer
    Yes, 'not tracking' does carry that kind off risk, but the chances are quite slim (at least from my experiance). Dunno for Italian Post, there are claims they are not very reliable, because the past learned that Italian buyers didn't seem to be getting their orders, but I've always wondered whether that was really a Postal problem or more a mentality problem from certain buyers, personally, over the past 8 years on the net (several sites), I hardly had any problems with shipments towards Italy (including many non traceable shipments), so I see no reason why the opposite would be a problem ;-)
    Just set a value limit for shipments without tracking, like 25-30 Euro, or whatever you are comfortable with on such shipments. Make sure to clearly indicate 'no tracking' in the shipment option (buyers will also see the 'with tracking' option if you do your settings right), so they can still choose with tracking if they like (happens frequently as well).
  • edited April 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @RobErNat

It's exactly what i've done. I indicate NO TRACKING so buyers know the "risk".
    The only problem i have had with one of my package is with United Postal Service that crashed several times my poor package.
    It arrived semi-destroyed but, luckly, i made "anti-bomb" package so all the bricks arrived in perfect conditions.

In the next days i try to set up better my shipping costs, my shipping weight/amount limit and methods.
    Thanks again to everybody!
  • If you're a legit business there is no risk for the buyer whether or not they purchase tracking. You're based in the EU and the responsibility for ensuring the package arrives with the buyer is yours and yours alone, whether or not the buyer pays for tracking and/or insurance.
  • Ok now i add a "no tracking" options for all countries.

I hope i did the right calculation with shipping and minimum paypal fee