Request a quote and paypal fee

Hi all,
is there a way to see the method of payment the buyer choose when i receive a quote?

This question is because if you buyer has choosen paypal/CC i have to insert also the paypal fee in the requested quote but if he has choosen Bank transfer i have to do nothing, only shipping costs.
Right now, after i have received a quote, i contact the buyer with a message and ask him what payment method choose.
After his answer, i insert a quote.

Am i doing it wrong?
Thanks a lot bye

Ale

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Method of payment is selected after the method of shipping, so no there's no way to know at the 'request a quote' stage how a customer intends to pay.
  • Method of payment is selected after the method of shipping, so no there's no way to know at the 'request a quote' stage how a customer intends to pay.
    Ok thanks.. so i have to continue with my method.
    Thanks again
  • edited April 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    BrickOwl customers expect to see shipping rates right away. You will get far less sales if they have to request a quote.

Set up your shipping methods and include all fees in your prices. If someone pays by a non-Paypal payment method and saves you 3%, I suggest you send them a credit coupon for that amount. It works quite well to encourage repeat business.
  • @Razer

Let's take the following situation: I fill a cart in your store and request a quote, you send me a message: IBAN or Paypal, I respond: IBAN, you send me a quote without PP fee, then I change my mind and I check out and choose Paypal...
    What are you going to do? Send back the PP payment (you loose 0.35 Euro), or ship my order 'eating' the PP cost? Cancel the order (you still need to refund,so still a 0.35 Euro cost)? Another option?

Why are you so determined to 'add' a Paypal cost? BO is specificly not adding all kind of 'cost' fields as to have buyers see 'full cost' on checkout, so trying to do 'your way' is just shooting yourself in the foot compared to most sellers, particulary if buyers start comparing carts from one seller to another (I'm sure most buyers prefer the autocheckout option).

Bottom line: get rid of adding a Paypal cost, work it into your prices, add a small cost into your shippingcosts to cover a bit for 'PP basicfee', you'll loose a bit if buyers takes Paypal, you'll win a bit if buyer chooses IBAN, and in worst case, if you really wanna compensate your IBAN buyers, put in a few extra items for free (basic plates or bricks are always handy), problem solved ;-)

And do try to work with presetted shippingmethods, it's a lot easier for both your buyers and yourself compared to quote requests (I hardly get any anymore) and is much more conveniant, you get home and you can start picking orders in stead of sending your 'potential buyers' messages asking them whether they will pay with PP or IBAN ;-)
    In the end you will save yourself all that waisted time and 'saving time'='winning money'' and that's worthed a lot more then a few extra cents for Paypal Payments :P

Cheers, Eric

• Here's a little piece of anecdotal evidence. On another forum, a seller once said his sales on BrickOwl were low. After advising him on setting up shipping methods and forget "Request a quote", he came back later to say his sales were 5 times what they used to be.

As a buyer, I also avoid stores that require shipping quotes. I think it's reasonable to have to request a quote for larger orders (3 digits) though.
  • Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions.

In the next days i'll try to set up shipping costs page and step by step i'm going to remove the "request a quote" button.

Thanks again
    Regards,

Ale
  • @Razer There's nothing wrong with allowing customers to request quotes, but don't rely on it: set up shipping methods to cover most cases.
  • @Razer There's nothing wrong with allowing customers to request quotes, but don't rely on it: set up shipping methods to cover most cases.
    Exactly what i've done.
    I set up a shipping method for the three biggest world areas and then i found the option "Request a quote - Only show if no other method available"

Very usefull!!

Thanks again for the help

Ale

• Here's a little piece of anecdotal evidence. On another forum, a seller once said his sales on BrickOwl were low. After advising him on setting up shipping methods and forget "Request a quote", he came back later to say his sales were 5 times what they used to be.

As a buyer, I also avoid stores that require shipping quotes. I think it's reasonable to have to request a quote for larger orders (3 digits) though.
    Strange as I used to get lot of orders when mine was only set on Quote. It probably his pot luck or timing when many buyers return to buy Lego a lot same time. I put the shipping method enabled last night so early days yet but got 2 orders came in and shipping was correct so far.