I don't want to give negetive feedback to a seller, what should I do?

Hi,

I am new here. I might just have been really lucky with all my other orders so far since each has been perfect ( THANK YOU BRICK OWL.)? However an order recently arrived and when it came it had these issues :
1. The order smells strongly of carpet freshener.
2. Each bag is covered in little fibres, it is as if my order was
picked from the carpet.
3. Each bag has hairs in it. Some are long and black and obviously
human hair, others are not obvious what they are.

There were other issues too, a few bricks were so discolored that they were unusable, but that's not my main issue. It was the smell of carpet freshener that wafted out of the envelop and clung to each polybag. The bags looked like they had been kicked about the carpet.

I wrote politely via messages the issues as described above. My honest desire to help the seller but express how unfortunate it was that they had not met my expectations and how disgusted I was to find so many hairs and fibres in my order. I hoped that they might send me something to say 'thanks' or something. LOL.

What I got back over the course of the message exchange was a weak apology and lots of denial and excuses:

1. "Are you sure it from this order I sent to you"
2. "Fibre ones from the carpet is normal....no buyer had issue with it, must be the same on all sellers when they sort"
3. "Sorry don't use shake and vac stuff so it must be from someone else who own those Lego before selling at car boot sales"
4. "many buyers brought it without issue "

So my questions are:

Is it really 'normal to pack on carpet?'
It is acceptable to get hairs and fibers in a Lego order?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Pack on carpet: no
    Hair: big no!

I would give a negative feedback for this, both from a buyer as a seller perspective.
  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @mle

I would say the chances to find hairs in an order are certainly not 'zero', all sellers are still 'human' and all humans have hair (well under normal circumstances), one person more then another, some have more facial hair or more hair on their arms, some loose more then another, so to be expected sooner or later in an order, it is simply not possible to expect a 'full sterile' environment to sort and store and pick and bag orders.
    Animal hairs are also possible, as some sellers have pet's (I don't have any for this reason), but it should be notified IMHO in the sellers homepage.

Fibers/dust are another thing, as indeed it depends in what kind of environment the seller sorts and picks orders, form my point of view a seller needs to keep his working area as clean as possible, but once again, a 'sterile' environment is not possible.
    If you compare a 'picked' order from a seller towards a new 'bag' from a set from the LEGO company, then it would be false to expect this. Sellers handle each part indiviudally, might be stored for a while, and needs to be picked one by one, so flaws are to be expected.

How the seller reacts is another story, and in all honesty, no-one can judge such as long as not involved... So this thing you need to judge for yourself by comparing to other sellers / other problems and how other sellers deal with your remarks... A one by one case I'm afraid.

Hope this helps a bit, even if not much ;-)
  • I might just have been really lucky with all my other orders so far since each has been perfect ( THANK YOU BRICK OWL.)? However an order recently arrived and when it came it had these issues :
    That is absolutely terrible. The customer service standards are pretty high around here, hairs, fibres and smells are beyond unacceptable. Used parts must be thoroughly washed and cleaned.

Sorting parts on a carpet is absurd. Just to give you another perspective, we always wash our hands before touching any Lego, and everything is hermetically sealed when cooking. This is not exceptional, I'm sure most sellers do the same.

If the order really arrived as you describe, it deserves a negative feedback. That seller needs to be warned.
  • No hairs from our store, we are all bold :)

absolutely discusting and thumbs up for you to give seller changes to fix this!

This is a neg, unfortunatly.....
  • thank you. I thought so, I just wanted to check since I am new.

@Hellmouth I don't completely understand your last comment, sorry.

@RobErNat I was comparing with previous BrickOwl orders not from new Lego. I try to be pretty understanding, which is why I tried to sort it out via message before neg.

@Stragus I was kinda hoping to avoid a forensic process. But I might photograph the remaining unopened bags and sort the wheat from the chaff (so to speak) on an white tray and count hairs. yuck. The seller was contacted by message a few times. I guess that they are having a bad time of it just now and as a result not hoovering or something.

@BrickFeverParts LOL
  • mlemle
    edited March 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    So I did empty the remaining two bags (out of four) onto a tray. The other two bags were in worse shape and one had carpet fibres, but weren't obviously hairy. Each of the green tiles on the tray had an obvious fibre on it. There were at least 5 hairs in each bag. they are clearly visible in the shots. This was an exercise in sanity checking ( I emptied a bag, then emptied the hairs into the compost each time!). Again the tiles smelt of carpet freshener, which I personally find an offensive chemical smell, but others must like it enough to buy it and use it. : (
  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @mle
    Looking at the length and amount of the hairs there is clearly an issue, as the seller should simply 'see' it when packing, if the seller has these issues, the overal environment is probably not very clean, if indeed there are many carpet fibers and on top it's smelly then this seller is sorting or picking orders on the wrong surface, simple as that.

• I believe this is a good example of a transaction where the seller should receive a negative feedback. In addition to their obvious poor work practices, they have been dismissive of your concerns.