Order status not updating from Paypal payment, and can we un-cancel an order?

Some 8 days ago, I received an order without payment (I am still using a Paypal personal account, I know I know... also, the "Upgrade to a Business account" link doesn't work).

After several days, I sent a message asking to confirm if they would like to cancel the order. Then today, still seeing the order with a "Pending" status after 8 days, without having received a reply, I just cancelled it.

It turns out the customer had actually paid yesterday (7 days after placing the order) but, somehow, the order status wasn't automatically updated. Should it have been updated, as when a customer pays right away when placing an order? Or does that mean the customer somehow sent the Paypal payment manually?

I now have an unhappy customer (and rightly so), to whom I sent a $5 coupon plus free shipping to apologize. I also owe $0.15 in BrickOwl fees that I won't be charged for.

I feel the system should have ways to recover or repair such situations. Note that this isn't just a Paypal personal account issue, as a similar situation can occur with many other payment methods: IBAN, Interac, and so on.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Orders can't be un-cancelled I'm afraid, the order is only marked as payment received if we get an IPN from Paypal saying the payment was received. I see you're aware how to make that link more reliable.
  • I had some orders not paid despite I have Paypal business account. It down to the site issues that the buyer couldn't go ahead so I have to give my paypal address to them to pay it manually then I updated the status myself as buyers don't updated themselves. It always best to check the account in Paypal to know if you are paid then you can change the status and do the rest normally and brickowl will charge the order fees as normal.
  • @Jiries you need to setup the payment method as Paypal for business accounts, not paypal for personal accounts as you currently have it.
  • Sorry I thought it was on Business account all the time. I had just updated it now and set it up to the site for the check out so I have to wait for an order to come in to see if work well.