"Missing" order to Australia

OK now I join the "problem with OZ" group.

late last year I received a quote request (customer didn't like the Priority Mail price) I obliged and sent 1st class, as I hadn'd had any problems sending there and delivery confirmation was available with 1st class...

a few weeks later I get a message asking where the order was because it "wasn't recieved" - I checked the order track number - it showed as delivered (and still shows as such on USPS)

I suggested that the customer check with room mate and neighbors etc. I got reply "nobody has it"

Went to my local PO they ran the track number and confirmed that it was delivered.

Got back to customer and suggested they contact Aus-Post (as on the Aus Post website it also showed as delivered)

After quite some time I get a message from customer - including the text of an email he received - basically just fobbing him off - telling him to tell me to refund him and claim against USPS (which as I am sure you aware - I can't as it wasn't Priority)
In any case as AusPost had recorded that they had received the package (and delivered it) the likely hood would be that USPS would have stated that the claim would be against AusPost

Now I go back to Aus Post track and trace - they have deleted the tracking information that WAS there before.

Not really sure what to do - it's not a small sum of money, and with the way the feedback "system" is I can't tell much.

Thoughts??

Thanks

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Australian post did record it, so technicly USPS is able to see the record and if not, they can 'request' from Australian Post to deliver the details to them, but you will need to open a ticket for it I presume.
    For the record, I also have an MIA shipment to Australia (buyer didn't let me know, I just stumbled upon it), and I am currently dealing with a ticket for it, just to find out wether it was actually delivered or not.

Sidenote: Many Postal Services do purge tracking information after about 3 months, so it might simply be coincidence it's 'gone' now. This is a real PITA, as Paypal, as you know, has upgraded their deadline for 'disputes' towards 180 days. I'm not sure what results this is going to give, but if you provide a tracking on PP and they do a query and the postal system will say 'no information available' then I have this very bad feeling PP is not going to wait for an answer from/by the seller and/or the Postal Websites, and will 'agree' on the refund.
    I've already contacted the local Ombudsman for Belgian Post for this reason (no respons yet) at it seems logical to me that postal services provide details 'longer' then 180 days. I'm also gonna contact PP about this, because they are probably very ignorant on this, so I really suggest to all sellers to check their old trackings to find out 'when' they get purged, and make an official notification about this towards Paypal, the more people do this, the more they 'might' start to realise their 'upgrade' (45>180 days) is quite unpractical and that it will lead to abuse...

Eric
  • Thanks Eric - I'll see what the PO can do here.

I have a feeling somethings up with AusPost - there seem to be numerous problems appearing involving "missing" and claims just recently.

I'm cutting off Australia for the time being, other than Priority Insured
  • Australia Post Tracking can be misleading. If the item was sent to a Rural Post office it will be marked as Derived when it arrives at the post office not when it’s in the customers hands. AUS Post will then send out a card to say the item is ready to pick up. Or they will leave the parcel at the door step. In Plain Sight.

Does USPS offer a signature on deliver option? I can do it with Australia post to other countries for around $8 AUD a parcel.
  • I had a bit large order sent out to Australia last year and it arrived there with the update saying it now on processing for delivery which been showing for few months. I had moved on and discard this message since the buyer didn't contact so I assumed she got it and the AUS post forgot to closed this tracking off.
  • I've just had a package I sent to Australia be reported as missing. Unfortunately, it was sent by standard international post so there's no tracking option. The Buyer has an ONR against their account already - is this likely to be a similar case or a trend that this particular customer may not be entirely honest?
  • In that particular case, the Order Not Arrived report is the report for the package not arriving from your store. If the customer files the report against your store, it will show up there.
  • Order Not Arrived or Order Not Received, semantics I suppose.
    In my case the customer has not yet filed an ONR, thus I feel it would be beneficial to sellers to know if there is a build up of orders not arriving, rather than only reports by customer
    this could be used by a dishonest customer, as if they don't file an ONR nor a charge back - nothing shows against their account, and most?? times they will be refunded simply by the threat of PayPal claim.

I am not sure what the outcome of my case will be,
    Both USPS and AusPost recorded order as delivered, now both sites have deleted data - fortunately I have a screen shot.
    I'm not sure what would be the ideal resolution, given that I even have a message from customer stating that "it may have been left and taken by someone else"

Over time I have had more problems shipping to Australia than anywhere else - I have now placed a low value limit on 1st class Int.
  • Just shipped some orders Monday from my eBay thru Australia Post and when I got home from the post office I checked the tracking, and one of the parcels says "delivered" to Pottsville. But Pottsville is post office and the time 15:55 is when I gave the parcel to Aus Post. It's going to the other side of the country.

So after 24 Hours passed I rang Aus post because there should be some update on the tracking that night for when it’s processed in the mail centre (it was sent express). So I rang Aus post and they told me that it was delivered. But after some time explaining to them the error on the tracking, they told me that they have no idea where the item is.