How to :- PayPal International postage from US

Y'all may already know this, however I just discovered a "back door" to PayPal, that allows you to print First Class International postage. I haven't tried it yet. If it works it'll certainly save some time as I've been printing 1st class INT via USPS website.

https://www.paypal.com/ShipNow

Also FYI if you are having trouble getting 1st class international labels to scan, we discovered why - the line of the box around the label is too close to the bar code (for some scanners) - either white out or edit in PS to remove it

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Only allows Letter and Large letter rate. Not the First Class International Parcel which you would want for 99% of your international shipments.
  • I have found that the easiest way to do shipping of all types of packages is to use a 3rd party shipping service. I use Endicia. It's very easy. Costs about $8 per month if you sign up for a yearly subscription and the first 30 days are free. There's also stamps.com and others. Also, using a Zebra label printer makes it much easier and quicker than printing, cutting, and taping when using an ink jet or laser printer.
  • Whoops I was wrong - just tried it - pumbaugh is correct

The problem I have with the paid services - is the amount of use as PayPal make it so easy for domestic orders. international is the only thing I would need it for & I would still have to copy and paste address etc
    … unless theres an automated pre-filling process I am unaware of?
  • You can cut and paste the whole address into stamps and I believe endicia both vs each individual field. I do not subscribe to either service at the moment. I have used both in the past. When International rates were so much more reasonable 2-3 years ago I used endicia and it was a great time saver, but at only 4-5 international orders a week, I can bare the slow usps.com site.
  • First class international is served through the USPS.com site. No Stamps.com or Endicia needed.
  • USPS can be used, but for me it was too inconvenient because of the multiple pages of info to type in. I guess how we ship is really a matter of cost vs. convenience. I wish PayPal would print labels for 1st class international packages. That would give us the the best of both: free and convenient.
  • I agree with the other commenters about PayPal probably not being very useful for international shipping, but for the record...

I have been using a similar URL (https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now) for years so I could book domestic "media" rate postage online for vinyl records and CDs (uh, and the occasional book). Because USPS doesn't let you do media rate via their site. Of course, you only need the back door if PayPal wasn't involved in processing the order in the first place. BTW, you didn't used to be able to book 1st class international via USPS.com.

Third party postage services surely rule (processing time saved) if you've got the volume to cover their fees.

Otherwise, international postage is cheaper via USPS than via PayPal (assuming PayPal offers the rates you want in the first place.)
  • I never used any of the other shipping services other than USPS and PayPal. So I really would like to get some Information if stamps.com or Endicia also offer international first class parcels with insurance or some sort of proof of delivery?

I really don't like the Del - con Service USPS offers, since they don't scan packages most of the time anyway.

• @rebrude - being from England - I can assure you it ain't USPS thats the issue - over there its Royal Mail (or worse Parcel Force - used to change that to Farce)

To keep it brief - rarely did I get asked to "sign for" any International Package requiring a Signature - let alone a scan! Germany was the exception.

they were just left by the door in the rain or (occaiasionally) with a neighbor.

I am not 100% certain but I think the "delivered" scan is recorded by the destination sort office.

Also be aware with the Bar Code issue that happened about 4 months ago you need to remove the line near the bar code to get reliable scanning.

G
  • Thank you Graham...
    i even was thinking about stopping to sell international for good, but about 25% of the orders I receive go overseas...
  • I never used any of the other shipping services other than USPS and PayPal. So I really would like to get some Information if stamps.com or Endicia also offer international first class parcels with insurance or some sort of proof of delivery?
    Unless things have changed...

You don't pay per transaction, you add credits to your account. Need to send an international package but only have $6.15 in your account? Must add another $10.

User hostile when you try to leave. It took me at least 4 times on the phone of saying "cancel" before they finally released my account to the wild. And then it took several months to get a refund of unused credits sent to me in the mail.

That goes for both services.
  • OMG! that sounds like a pain in the butt.. i guess I will stick with USPS and PayPal then..

Thanks a lot for that info DagsBricks. I appreciate it.
  • i agree with dags. usps and paypal for me. one thing that i have seen re:international/paypal is, on a couple of my international orders the buyer actually had a paypal verified address and paypal's multiorder shipping would allow me to import them in and send internationally. as far as initiating an international order otherwise through paypal, i have not seen an option for that.