Warning against French buyer

Dear sellers, I'm putting a warning on a French buyer: his username is cyrius77

http://www.brickowl.com/user/64449

He is been a member for 3 weeks, checked out in my store and choosed 'no tracking' (all my buyers have both options to choose from).
A couple of days ago he filed a dispute, last night he upgraded to claim, so I had no choice then to pay back.

This morning I received a message from another seller whoom I contacted a couple of days ago, the buyer has now opend a dispute against this seller as well :-(
Luckely this seller has tracking and it shows 'delivered', so I hope he can battle this of with Paypal.

And I will contact Paypal today to investigate on the behaviour of this buyer.

@Admin: it is my strong suggestion you revoke this buyers priveledges.

2 chargebacks in 3 weeks is a bit 'to good to be true' IMHO

Cheers, Eric

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The perfect example of the reason I don´t like positive feedback just because buyer made payment. Check out his feedback, you are (still) thanking him for claiming :)

Not that you can leave a non positive, but that is a different story.

But thanks for the warning
  • Thanks for the warning. If I ever come across him via shipping quote I won't answer it and ignore it until it purged off.
  • On the contrary, quote with tracking and signed for.
  • Just received a message from a third seller... same story

• @BrickItOn

Quite the contrary, all 3 sellers left positive (as they can't leave anything else) , but all 3 also noted their shopname (highly recommended IMHO), this allows to identify eachother, so it was easy for me to get in touch with BOTH other sellers, I used another channel as that was easier, and I do hope in time it will be easier for sellers to comunicate with eachother *IF* the site would allow to do so, in stead of 'hiding' e-mail addresses from one another (and that is exactly the reason why I went through the other channel).
    Removing a feedback isn't a problem (once we're clear with this buyer) and indeed since we can't leave negatives (as sellers), there is no point in stalling ANY feedback, as it allows to identify other sellers. I hope you understand that reasoning ;-)

So, as I said in the previous message, another seller was contacted by this buyer 'claiming' they did not receive the package (presumeably not a PP dispute yet), I have invited this third seller to this thread and will do so with the second seller as well.

I called PP this morning, when I mentioned the second 'dispute' they didn't seem all that surprised, I had them put a nice 'tag' on the buyer, so I hope indeed the 2 other sellers will be on the safe side, I lost my money (nothing major), but if I can help any other to save theirs, I'll be a happy person.

And now I need to convince Admin to get my negative removed (offcourse the buyer left one in the mean while) :P

Cheers, Eric
  • @BrickItOn

I hope you understand that reasoning ;-)

Eric, I do (really) but I really can't get myself into leaving a positive just so other sellers can "find" me. That really feels wrong. But again: I DO understand it, and will give it more thought. I think you know my opinion about several things, and if this is the way to communicate, it only makes my opinions stronger.
    @BrickItOn
    And now I need to convince Admin to get my negative removed (offcourse the buyer left one in the mean while) :P

Cheers, Eric
    off course, no surprise there, good luck :).

But: If Paypal receives several unjustified claims from a user, don't you get your money back as well? Maybe it is only a small amount, but that wouldn't care to me. 1 cent or 100 euro, I wouldn't let it pass so easy. But that might be just me wasting time to get my right :(
  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down

But: If Paypal receives several unjustified claims from a user, don't you get your money back as well? Maybe it is only a small amount, but that wouldn't care to me. 1 cent or 100 euro, I wouldn't let it pass so easy. But that might be just me wasting time to get my right :(
    From what the Paypal service desk said, no, the chances to get my money back are 'zero', an no, I'm not happy about that, but in 8 years of selling it's the first case I needed to refund an order and if it helps saving the other sellers to save their money, then I consider it an acceptable loss.
    It's looking more and more like this buyer is 'fried', so in the end he 'won' about $22 and with some luck he will loose his PP priveledges over it or at least will be seriously 'tagged', and once a name and an address are tagged on PP, he's gonna be in trouble for a very long time...

I just noticed Admin has also revoked his buying priveledges (thank you Lawrence for the quick action!), so other sellers will be safe as well, so another thing 'dealt with' and so $22 'lost' for a good cause, that's my point of view, and by refunding on paypal without a fight, I also don't get my name tagged as a' bad seller', so good for the future in regards to PP as well :-)

• if it helps saving the other sellers to save their money, then I consider it an acceptable loss.

That is noble of you. I am (maybe sadly) 1 of those persons that couldn't let such things "slight" so easy :(

8 years of selling
    Does that mean 8 years of Paypal as well? Without any claims? That alone should convince PP to decide on your side IMO.

I just hate it when such people get away with just 1 cent. But case closed, buyer privileges revokes, so that is good :) Thanks.

• @BrickItOn
    I was already using PP before I opend my BL shop, as I was selling on Ebay back then, not sure exactly when I registered with PP, but most likely late 2007 or early 2008 (dunno where to check such), at least more then a year before I opened my BL shop (april 2009). I've been an EBAY seller longer then that, but not exclusively 'LEGO', the last 8 years it's mainly LEGO only.
    I did have one other claim (2012), long story, but the buyer/seller was a ripoff person, got kicked off from BL on 4 (not kidding) accounts, tried here as well, but got fried quite quickly with the help of Admin. So that one sticks to my PP account (the PP guy reffered to it), but I did battle it with PP back then and in the end they refunded my full fees on the first payment (I forced him to make a second payment, including tracking).
    So yes, the guy on the phone was pretty positive on my userdetails, but as I refunded, the money is back in the buyers account with no chance to retrieve it...
    Thing is, you can try to battle it with PP, but in the end, you spended a lot of energy on 'not much use', in this case I preferred putting the energy into preserving others in stead, call it noble if you like, I just feel it as a duty, as I hate injustice ;-)
  • Eh well, $22 isn't so bad. My scammer from Australia is trying the same thing with an order 10x that amount.

I have also changed my shipping methods to disable all non-tracked methods for expensive orders. I just hope customers will now think of using Request a quote... I really don't want any honest and reputable BrickOwl customer to pay Canada Post's absolutely ridiculous prices for international tracking! (it starts at $50 for 250g)
  • @Stragus
    Shipping in Belgium is fair, registered on top is quite high compared to other countries (and Canada seems to be outrages indeed), reason I do not enforce it on buyers, I go by the fact most buyers are honest, the rare rotten apple won't make me change the methods I have for many years now, in +1700 BL orders and +650 BO orders I've never had a problem of this kind, so wouldn't wanna punish any other potential buyer over it. If it would become more of a returning problem, then I would only lower my threshold for forced 'tracking', but that would still leave a decent bunch of potential 'losses'. Let's just remain positive in our thoughts most buyers are not here to rip off sellers ;-)
  • @RobErNat I would agree, hopefully you'll never encounter a 3 digits scam to change your mind!

Ideally, I would append a little script to the shipping methods... It would evaluate a customer's past feedback (from whom and how long ago) to decide if non-tracked shipping methods should be available for large orders or not. It could also determine if we should include extra insurance in the shipping rate. In some cases, it could even make available the very cheap and slow (4-6 weeks) surface shipping methods.

I really don't expect Lawrence to implement this anytime soon, but that would be an amazing little feature! :)
  • I'd probably drive to the address and doorstep them! :D
  • @Stragus
    3 digit scams are technicly not possible in my store, my store setup automaticly forces orders over 40 Euro to be with tracking, either registered shipment, either package with track and trace ;-)

• Hey we could all get together on this and offer to "pay a visit" to a scammer nearby on befhalf of the store owner ;-)

Fortunately scammers are few and far between, in any case you should be able to recover a good portion of actual cost by claiming the full value as a loss in your taxes.

On feedback I (still) see little point leaving a customer feedback, it's a royal pain the way the system is set up, even so I usually tackle it once a month - I leave feedback for those who have left for me, and generic feedback on orders over 90 days (as a claim is no longer possible)

and I agree to put your store name in - if nothing else it's advertising of sorts!

G

• 90 days (as a claim is no longer possible)

I would wait 90 days longer then, Claims are possible up to 180 days :)

• @Graham please keep hinting at threats out of the forum, I'd like this to be a friendly place.
  • That was my fault :) Said in jest.

@Lawrence, while you're around, what's your opinion of threads like these where members are named and shamed?
  • @Hoddie
    I can't speak for Admin, but know that I'm not in favor of hanging out dirty laundry when it comes down to issues with buyers (or sellers for that matter), but sometimes there is really no choice (IMHO), the circumstances just made it happen, if the messages from the other 2 sellers would have gotten in 6 and 15 hours earlier (so around the time I refunded), this would never have been on the forum, but would have gone straight to Admin, simple as that. I consider this matter closed (and we are deriving anyway), personally I've already moved beyond...

@Admin
    May I kindly request to close this thread (as users can't do that themselves -maybe an option in the future?-)
  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down

90 days (as a claim is no longer possible)

I would wait 90 days longer then, Claims are possible up to 180 days :)

Is that a change? I had a claim some years ago where PP didn't allow it because it was over 90 days

@Graham please keep hinting at threats out of the forum, I'd like this to be a friendly place.
    It was a "funny" hence the ;-) at the end of the line :-) my apologies in any case
  • @Graham

This is *new* since a few months, it was 45 or 90 days, depending on the country.