Buyer claim he didn't receive a package but tracking shows it was delivered

I know there is no magic formula but how do you handle the case where a buyer claim he didn't receive an order but tracking shows it was delivered ? There is no specific red flag in the order. Buyer is fairly new with only 3 FB.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Does your tracking also provide details on what adress it has been delivered?
  • This is the generic USPS tracking which doesn't: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input?qtc_tLabels1=LZ313963831US

But I am assume that behind the scene the post office has more info.

Communication with customers is very difficult, she seems to only answer sideways to my questions and only in the middle of the night so we loose 24h each time...
  • Wow, quick delivery time!

It depends i guess, not with all tracable shipments is a signature required, so if they delivered with neighbours or something and no signature needed, the mailman just state parcel succesfull delivered.

Perhaps on your side USPS can look into it and perhaps provide with extra info......
    Mentione to your buyer that your now contacting USPS from your side asking for additional info and wait a few days for that.

the time diffirence can be difficult, but that is what it is.

If you show to buyer your effort to find out, they will normally have some patience and perhaps can ask with there direct neigbours if they have received anything.
    I guess a mailman Always need to provide with a note on actual adress stating on wich *other* adress the parcel has been delivered.

Just start with contacting USPS......

Good luck!
  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Package shows as delivered, you have done what you need, if customer gave you incorrect address that isn't your problem, if Royal Mail delivered to the wrong address that isn't your problem (AFAIK)
    If you have the shipping label, scan form or scan receipt from PO, then that should satisfy a PP complaint.

I recently had a large order go MIA to UK, last scan showed acceptance at local PO, I had a decent customer, to whom I explained sometimes customs can hold an item for "quite a while" - he/she didn't file a claim, after 2 months it arrived.

Also FYI your local PO have a more detailed view of tracking than you do, suggest have them run it thru their system.

Now if it is truly lost - both you and the customer **SHOULD** be covered by PP - check transaction detail on PP - it should show as to wether it is "eligible" or not, in most cases this will apply as long as you ship to the address provided by PP (and can prove it)

Also a silly mistake I made once was entering incorrect track # on BrickOwl - so it showed as delivered - but it was another order to a different customer!

G
  • I went through the local PO and they were not helpful (they claimed that because it was a first class mail international they can't even process an inquiry).

I have shipped to the Paypal address and it shows as Eligible (I have the internet receipt and of course the tracking above that matches).

Are you suggesting that she should open a Paypal Claim and would get her money back from Paypal ?

Emmanuel

• From Paypal: "First Class Mail International is not covered under Seller Protection since the receipt only shows which post office the order was delivered to, not the customer's address."

I was hoping to put all those fees to good use...
  • Did you not ship First Class Package International Service? ($6.16 online or $6.55 at the counter to start) That should give you delivery confirmation to the UK and protects you from a paypal dispute. If you shipped the cheapo First Class Mail International, than you may have a problem even if the status shows delivery.
  • The receipt shows "First-Class Package International Service®" (I had to purchase it from USPS as paypal only does envelope and this order would not have fit following the 3/4" rule).
    Thanks @pumbaugh for highlighting this.

So if she were to open a claim would we both be protected ?

• I believe you would be, that is my understanding. I honestly do not know what they would cover for your buyer, I am primarily a seller only, thus my focus tends to be there when I read/research. Of course paypal probably feels free to interpret their own rules at their own discretion ;)
  • So are you saying that PayPal will cover a lost package if the First Class Int. Package shows delivered but customer says they didn't get it?
  • In most cases you should be - well hey IF you are planning on refunding anyway - you have nothing to loose!!!
    PayPal AFAIK do not ding you for non-receipt. Packages DO get lost (and eh-hem "lost" ;-) )

I've had 2 such - 1 time PayPal refunded both parties, the other time not…

No animosity let the customer file a claim, they get their money back - you present your evidence - you will need either a copy of the label (I save all mine as pdf's for this very reason) and/OR the scan receipt if your PO does enter them at the counter, OR the scan page if you left it for the carrier… You may be able to present the tracking # and a copy of the Brick Owl invoice showing address etc…

HTH - but remember that package MAY yet show up - so suggest ask customer to "be patient" for at least 6 weeks - there are many reasons why it may not have made it - wrong address - occupants away etc.

Best Graham