Using BrickStock to import inventory

I have been relying on BrickOwl internal database for uploads for quite some time now.

However I need to go back to using BrickStock, when sets on BO aren't complete and/or accurate

Question... when an upload contains MF's (or parts) that are not in the BO database what happens?

Also I have forgotten the correct settings required to upload and merge with current inventory.

Thanks!

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @Graham
    If you upload a file and the BLID is not found on BO, the items will not be listed.
    That is one of the reasons Stragus is working on a new program, that will fully support the BOID's of each item.
    If you're not syncing (bricksync generates an error file) then you have no way of knowing whether the item got listed or not...
    If you use the BO inventory and compare it to actual inventory, then at least you know what is 'not' in the inventory and if willing to do the effort, at least you can adjust the inventory for the future.

@stargus: made me realise you should build in a 'compare inventory' in BM (let's just call it like that for now), by importing the Brickstock XML and the BO inventory and 'compare' to find out what 'might' be missing in the BO inventory, so one would know what needs to be added or adjusted. Would be quite handy :-)

• @Graham In case it helps, you can retrieve your current BrickOwl inventory as a BSX file with:
    http://www.bricksync.net/owl2bsx/

@RobErNat You can retrieve the two inventories then subtract one from the other, whatever remains is the difference. :) Although that doesn't show non-quantity differences such as pricing... Alternatively, BrickSync should keep things very much in sync (command "verify" to check, or "owlresolve" to list all BLIDs unknown to BrickOwl).
  • When you upload a .bsx file containing parts that BO doesn't recognise, it simply skips them and then lists all the skipped ones. You can then add them manually if you want.
  • @Graham In case it helps, you can retrieve your current BrickOwl inventory as a BSX file with:
    Man youve been busy! - I missed that THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Off to download in a minute :)

Does that mean I can also edit inventory in BrickStock and upload changes to BrickOwl?

Cheers Graham
  • I've also forgotten what are the optimum settings to use when importing a BSX file
    i.e. how to merge with current inventory

Thanks

@Stragus I downloaded, added API key inserted it as per document - when executed opens and runs terminal but returns error as below, I am using a MacPro running OS10.7.5

Last login: Sat Mar 7 09:53:22 on ttys000
    grahams-mac-pro:~ indigoking$ /Applications/owl2bsx-osx64/owl2bsx ; exit;Illegal instruction: 4
    logout

[Process completed]

• @Stragus I downloaded, added API key inserted it as per document - when executed opens and runs terminal but returns error as below, I am using a MacPro running OS10.7.5
    Last login: Sat Mar 7 09:53:22 on ttys000
    grahams-mac-pro:~ indigoking$ /Applications/owl2bsx-osx64/owl2bsx ; exit;Illegal instruction: 4
    logout
    Woah, that's very weird, you are getting an illegal instruction error even before the very first printf() in main()! It just ran fine on two OSX machines I have remote access to, and I didn't compile with any special support for AVX or other instruction sets.

Is your OSX running 64 bits? If you are familiar with gdb/lldb, I really wonder what illegal instruction it would be encountering...

Can you do a "md5 owl2bsx" to check the binary's checksum?
  • Just checked by processor name according to Apple Website it is 64bit

Dual-Core Intel Xeon 64 bit

Did you mean run "md5 owl2bsx" in terminal? If so returns "md5: owl2bsx: No such file or directory"

(exactly is written between " ")

File does exist! I put the folder in Applications, and ran "owl2bsx" from there?

G
  • @Stragus any ideas? I am dying to be able to use BS with BO…

Cheers G
  • @Graham Let's switch to private messages to try to debug this, I'll write later today. I wanted to check the md5sum in case you would somehow have a bad or corrupted executable.
  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Both BrickSync and owl2bsx have been updated to run smoothly on older versions of OSX, which was the problem @Graham encountered. The database snapshot included in owl2bsx was also fully updated.

owl2bsx 1.0.1:

Rant starts
    When compiling software on OSX, it turns out that, by default, it produces executables that only run on the latest and shiniest version of OSX. If an obscure non-standard switch to change that behavior isn't used (-mmacosx-version-min), the executables will just crash with this wonderfully helpful Illegal instruction error message on older OSX versions.

Arggh, come on Apple! That's terrible!
    Rant ends
  • @Stragus

Thanks mate I shall give it a go later :)

After being an Apple "Fan Boy" to "loyal customer" over the best part of 20 years - I think I'm at a point where ive had enough - I know all y'all win doze users will agree - however I have a bigger beef with Gates' and MS in general, so what to do?
    I have discovered that Linux is now much more user friendly, for us less capable - and am hoping to start the switch - the beauty is it works apparently across platforms…

Back to Apple - they keep forcing updates, the last straw for me was after updating iPhone to iOS8.1 I was unable to use hot spot, support told me to download the new version iOS 8.1.2 - which I couldn't unless i updated iTunes - which I did and regret. Then it turned out that hotspot would only work with iOS 8.1.2 (on iPhone) AND OSX 10 (the new one with a silly name) on my Mac(s) - which both being "older" won't run!

The latest iOS update seems to have fixed hotspot but now I'm stuck with a Cr1p version of iTunes that can't be downgraded!

Hence I am now looking at the Linux world - waiting on some DVD-r disks - fingers crossed!
  • @Graham Linux is the way to go! :) I have been using it about exclusively for the past 12 years.

For a new user, I would suggest Linux Mint. I'm on Gentoo, the perfect distribution for programmers and Linux experts (but don't even think about trying it until you have spent a few years among penguins, seriously).
  • @Graham

I am sorry about your phone/hotspot issues! I normally don't publicize this because I don't want to be a personal support technician for people, but I work for Verizon Wireless. If you want we can talk about your iphone issues.

Secondly, go to this website:
    http://filehippo.com/download_itunes_64/59925/

That is to Filehippo.com which does a lot of things such as checks for program updates on your computer. One of the things it does is store old versions of programs. If you look to the right it will show you a few versions of itunes and then says "view more" click that, then you can pick any version from the newest 12.1.1 back to 8.0.2

Enjoy!
    Chris

PS. make sure to uninstall your new iTunes before installing an older one.

*Legal disclaimer* I work for Verizon Wireless, anything in this discussion or private message that is discussed is not endorsed by Verizon and I am not getting paid for any help I may provide. Any "facts" or "opinions" are given from me personally and not on the behalf of Verizon while not at work.

(yes Verizon Wireless makes us write that type of statement when talking about Verizon Wireless off work)
  • Oh boy oh boy - I knew nothing of this thanks Chris, and Stragus earlier :)