set images vs. instruction images

I noticed that the pictures of many older sets show the instructions instead. Shouldn't the set image be either an official LEGO image or a photo taken from the upper side of the box (or side of the box if the set number is printed on the side instead of the top). If yes, would a scan of the LEGO announcement (for instance from old catalog or old ad) be considered as official LEGO image (and approved as)?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Those images are from Brickset, I believe scans of instructions give a better image than a picture of a 10-year-old box probably would. If a scan from a catalog was of similar resolution, that may be preferable, but I would imagine the images in catalogs are rather small.
  • I just tried for set 6080 and the scan seems fine. I'll submit it as alternate image. Have a look and tell me what you think. BTW, this made me think: why not add the foreign set names somewhere and to set tags for these names. Would be great for non-English users, I suppose.
  • I think that looks fine as an alternate, although you have scanned it in high-resolution, because it is physically a small image,it doesn't look as good at a larger size. I think I prefer the instructions images as a primary if they are of good quality simply because they are physically a bigger image so they look better at larger sizes.

Foreign set names is a good idea, I've added it on my list. I guess I can also integrate that when I do the translation of the whole site.