Making last names required

For the shipping address, can you ( @admin ) make it so the last name is a required field. PayPal requires a last name to be entered in the shipping fields yet I have had a few customers that only gave their first.

Is this possible to do?
Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Last name is optional, as the first name may be a company name, so I won't be enforcing this one.
  • I personally think requiring a last name should be standard. A last name is required by usps and paypal in order to create a label. It only delays processing and shipment by not requiring a last name. Businesses are used to dealing with this issue, as I have a business and last name is standard on every website I can think of to make automated orders.
  • In the case of a last name field, you can always add Inc, or LLC, or Ltd. or GmbH in that field.
  • does paypal still cover the seller in case you put something like that in the last names field? since they always say the seller is only covered by the seller protection program when sending to the exact address provided..

• This does not have anything to do with paypal's seller protection-if you get paid through paypal you just click the button/link to print the label(this loads the sellers address automatically entered into paypal for you), this is in regards to all other forms of payment you get that you wish to print through paypal or usps.com. Those two sites, which are the only 2 I use, require a last name to be entered in the field. It will not allow you to proceed with the last name field blank.
  • yes, i had a costumer last week that only provided his first name.. I went to PayPal to print the shipping label using the Multi order shipping tool and it showed and red error next to the name.. had to prefer to the Payment notification e-mail to get the last name..

so, Brickowl and PayPal shipping only showed first name but the payment notification showed first and last name..

had this already happening to me 3 or 4 times.
  • Good catch on the payment notifications having the last name. I just shipped one out this morning, and did my standard which is to reenter the first name in all caps as the last name.
    I will remember to look next time.
    Katie
  • Same here.. Just shipped out two with no last name. I too think last name should be required.
  • I see it happens to be more common than I thought! I have had a few that had a first name only, but were non paypal payments. I find it funny that they allow a person to enter a name that throws up an error when going to ship to that name on file...I just assumed they were similar to my stripe orders where it comes through only with the 2 address fields, and no paypal. I had not experienced it from a paypal user, so I thought it was a moot point about the seller protection.
This discussion has been closed.