Belgian VAT

"The Belgian VAT profile has been updated to no longer remove VAT from shipping costs as VAT does not apply to shipping costs in Belgium."

- "no longer remove VAT" and "VAT does not apply" cannot be reconciled with each other. One implies VAT will now be added, and the other implies the opposite :)

But, it is dangerous to automatically assume that VAT does not apply because if the shipping charge is actually a "shipping and handling" charge, VAT would still apply at the same rate as the highest rate being charged on the goods ordered, which in the case of Lego would be 21% , and in the case of books, 6%.

Basically, if your shipping charge is the actual cost of shipping then no VAT would be due. But if you lump in a surcharge for handling, packaging, payment processing, etc, then VAT would still apply.

Ideally it should be a per-store choice because as it stands you're making the choice for them and the choice might not be correct.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What a nuisance, I apologise for misinterpreting that. I have now reverted the change as on Brick Owl it is shipping and handling, not exact shipping.

I do later intend to make a more adjustable VAT system that stores can alter for their own needs.
  • And hopefully implement tax charges for USA stores too

Chris
  • @Admin, agree with @BudgetKids! Let me know if you need a summary of state sales taxes. I can get a copy of it for you Lawrence. (I'm a tax accountant by trade).
  • What a nuisance, I apologise for misinterpreting that. I have now reverted the change as on Brick Owl it is shipping and handling, not exact shipping.

I do later intend to make a more adjustable VAT system that stores can alter for their own needs.
    Thanks for reverting. I think it's the safest option at the moment.

• This should now be dealt with by the new tax system mentioned in the site updates