Inventory help.

edited October 2014 in Brick Owl Vote Up0Vote Down
Hi Folks,

Is there any way that I can download the inventory from BrickOwl and use software like BrickStock to make changes to my inventory? If so, how can I do this?

Thanks for help!

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There's presently no way to convert a BrickOwl inventory to BSX.

(I intend to write software that will solve that, but that doesn't help your current problem...)
  • I just saw your post in the other forum too. If you tell us what the problem is exactly, we might be able to help.
  • Thank you for the comments.

Here's my problem:
    I was running BrickSync (excellent software by the way!!!). I saved it on my home-server (RAID) and all was well (it was running from that location). However, my home server went down last night (down for good - at least for the next few days).

I then, this morning, executed BrickSync from a file that I had on another computer since a couple of weeks ago (I previously initalized it). In the process it deleted inventory from BrickLink (about 10K plus parts) that I added to BL in the meantime.

My BO inventory is still correct as BO has backups but BL doesn't - so there isn't really any way to get my BL inventory back to where it should be except manually going through 3,700 lots?

Any help would be much appreciated!
  • edited October 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Oh darn, running from an old state file and inventory is a big no-no. It will propagate orders that have already been processed, subtracting inventory twice and other issues.

There's no way to grab inventory + state file + order directory from your RAID? Plug that drive in a different computer and copy data/?

An initialization from scratch would have been much better than running from an old state...
  • Thanks again for the response.

I am trying yo get access to the files at the moment but the drives are in a RAID format (was all on a WDX My Cloud) - would UBUNTU allow me to read RAID files?
  • Forgot to mention - it's a 4 drive RAID system - with Raid 5 I believe (in other words when one drive goes down it can rebuild). The drives aren't affected. The root cause is a bad install of new frimware - and it won't allow me to access the server anymore...
    Do you have an image of the whole drive? You could try mounting that file. Most RAID formats put the meta-data at the end of the drive (I think?).

What was the time system and RAID? Perhaps something like:
    mount -t ext4 YourDiskImage /mnt/mountpoint

Edit: just saw your new post about RAID 5, mount won't work there...
  • I believe I need to have all 4 drives connected to read any data off them... hm. Maybe starting in UBUNTU.
  • If you have all the drives and/or complete images of the drives at hand, you can mount the RAID in software in Linux.

It's messy stuff and I wouldn't want to give incorrect information, but there are various guides online on the steps required...
  • Can one mount RAID drives in windows?
  • No idea, I know very little of Windows... but if I had to guess, it's probably done with paid commercial software.
  • I'm going to add an extra protection to BrickSync in case anyone else tries to run from an old state as you did. The software will save the current BL inventory as BSX before applying the required changes for synchronization.

Sorry that I didn't foresee such a thing could happen!
  • If I do this in Ubuntu, can I connect one of the four RAID 5 drives and access the data on it individually or do I need to connect all four drives at the same time?
  • Thanks for adding the extra security - no worries, it was a stupid move on my behalf.
  • Is there no way that the BO inventory could be translated and saved as a BSX - that would pretty much solve all my problems.
    With RAID 5, the data is distributed in a strange way (unlike RAID 1 which just mirrors everything on every drive). It shouldn't be too hard if you have physical access to the four drives (the part about WDX My Cloud had me confused if the drives were local or remote).

I think you should be able to do:
    sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
    sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/md0 /mnt/MyRaid
    but I don't have much experience with this, note to adjust the file system (ext4) to match.

Translating a BrickOwl inventory into BSX requires a complete offline database of BOIDs and BLIDs, a database which still needs to be assembled. It's not exactly trivial...
  • True, as BO uses its own ids...

Thanks for all your help! Do all four drives need to be connected to the computer at the same time - as I can only connect one at a time...
  • Yes, the four drives would have to be connected at the same time for the commands above.

Otherwise, you could copy (dd) the "image" of every RAID drive to your local drive as a file, then mount the RAID out of the hard drive images. This is a little messy, but mostly, it may be a problem to store 4 complete drive images! If your RAID was made of four 1TB disks, then that's 4TB of data.

Sorry, I don't see an easy solution, besides plugging all the RAID drives simultaneously one way or the other.
  • In total it's 4 x 2 TB - I do have a 5TB and 4TB external hard drive - I can copy two two the one and two to the other - would that work with the above commands.

I've always been a Windows user...
  • If you can have access to the 4 complete drive images at the same time, then you would be able to mount the RAID, but not with the commands above. These user-friendly commands assume real drives are plugged in.

Mounting a RAID from image files is messy. I couldn't help much with that part but Google seems to know the details... I never looked into that kind of RAID for exactly that reason, I sleep better knowing I could mount any one drive with all my data!
  • @khle

It is possible to transfer you inventory from Brick Owl to BL using @superbrick's application at brickpacker.com. Although that is not the intended use of the program, it works- I have done it in the past. Brickpacker is a paid service so you will have to work it out with Gerrit.
  • I bought a new cloud server enclosure and it appears to work... last time I bought a WD product I can tell ya.

Thanks for everyone's help - especially Stragus!!!