Suggestion: Show remaining weight in weightband

On regular bases I have customers ending up with a cart that is slightly higher then my presetted weightband, result is that they end up in the next weight band, so they could add a bunch within the same shippingcost and might stimulate them to do so= good for buyer + seller + site as it maximizes the potential within an order.

It would be great if the system would display somewhere (example below) how much weight is possible in addition to current cart, with currently selected method. (basicly it is just a calculation: weightband limit minus cartweight= remaining weight).
In the example below, the selected method is limited to 70 grams (my preset), cartweight is 5 grams, so remaining is 65 grams.

In worst case just showing the weightband the seller has presetted to give buyers a clue would be helpfull too. This info can simply be retrieved in the sellers setup of the weightband (second image). Soon the buyers cart is higher, the next limit would be shown (third image)

Eric

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Very good idea. On BL I always include this calculation in my invoices and every now and then buyers decide to add more. Buyers on BO don't have that luxury so this would be an excellent alternative. Actually it'd be even better, since it's much less trouble to add more while you're still shopping anyway.

All too often I get orders with extremely non-economic shipping charges. While it doesn't matter for me as a seller, it still just feels better shipping out knowing people actually get proper value for their money.. :P
  • This has been discussed before if I remember correctly.
    I think it came down to how it looked on the site and size of items being added might fit in the weight limit but not size.
    Previously we got the 'Your cart weighs approximately' added.
  • As mentioned above, this wouldn't work so well as shipping methods rely on a lot more than just weight. It wouldn't be very helpful to tell the customer they can add another 100 g, and then when they add a 10g BURP, the shipping price increases.
  • @Admin: Exactly the point, if a buyer would add a BURP (taking your example) the 'method' would change for most sellers towards 'package' (so obvious in the cart overview), so the buyer will realise such an item increases postal costs quite a bit, therefor it stimulates the 'learning process' of the buyer(s), they will probably remove it from cart and search for other stuff that does fit the weight band...
  • Maybe a link in the cart that says
    "Want to Maximize the shipping cost on this order?"

And from there a more detailed pop-up explaining how to maximize the shipping.

"There is x mount of weight left until the next shipping band. Please keep in mind that shipping tables are set by weight and size so larger items might bump you into a higher shipping bracket whereas smaller items might not.
    Also if your shipping options changes to a quote request for no apparent reason, it could be that the item you have added does not have a cataloged weight for the system to account for."

I'm not a writer, but you get the idea.
    Katie
  • I think that's too verbose. What about a simple note in the cart that says:

This shipping method could accommodate an extra X grams for the same shipping rate.

The note could change when the volume is already close to the maximum for that shipping method, to just let the buyer knows that it's not a limitation of weight but volume.
  • Love this idea. I currently message my buyers to let them know there's more weight and or volume available. I would also like to see # of lots remaining based on lot restrictions if this was an option as well.

Cory
This discussion has been closed.