Please make order maintainance more accessible for customers

Yes, again a topic about this :)

1. Payment status:
So since most of my buyers fail to update the order status to "payment submitted", I have included the request in caps lock in the payment method description. Results so far: Out of 5 relevant orders, 1 buyer succesfully changed the status to "payment submitted", one sent an e-mail with "payment submitted", one wrote "payment submitted" in the comment field of the bank transaction, and two did not do anything.
On Bricklink, only 1 in about 20 customers do not update the status after submitting the payment - quite a contrast! (I really need this info, otherwise it's really difficult to spot a payment and in large volumes it can't be done without a high error ratio)

I think it's safe to conclude that updating the order status is not in the customers' routine. Even when explicitly asked they don't do it, and apparently' that's not because they're lazy but it seems many simply don't know how to do it. The system works excellent, but could this somehow be improved visually? I assume an order that is on "pending" adds to the number in the upper right corner of to-do items for the buyer, but maybe this number could be red or a message could be displayed to tell them they still have to perform payment and/or indicate payment was submitted?

2. Feedback:
A similar story for feedback: Very, very few customers leave feedback compared to what I am used to. I don't really mind since I don't think the difference between 2000 and 3000 feedback matters to anyone, but I'm just reporting this for the general cause. I recently had a happy customer who I asked to leave feedback, and it turned out I had to describe to them how this is done. While the quotation mark symbols are esthetically very neat (just like pretty much anything about this site :) ), it seems customers have some trouble figuring it out.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Just now another customer mailed me to thank me for the order, he was also unaware of the feedback system...
  • A little red number next to Feedback menu could show how many orders are still waiting feedback, with direct links to these orders from the Feedback page.

I am pretty sure most customers have no idea how to leave feedback, and would gladly do so if it were obvious how to proceed!
  • Exactly :) And the same for getting people to update the order status when the ball is in their court. For sellers that only takes a little reminder like the number in the top right corner - since they need to run their shop properly to stay in business - but when the ball is in the buyer's court, it may require a bit of extra stimulation.
    With all due respect many buyers seem more clumsy/unexperienced here than on BL :P So while I do think this site has a more friendly interface than BL, with the crowd it is attracting it may need to be even friendlier. Because I agree, people are not lazy here, they simply don't know how it's done :)
  • Again I have a buyer who is sending me an e-mail they've submitted payment but the status has not been updated on the site in spite of my explicit request.. (My shop is a bit low key these days, I haven't had any orders with succesfully updated payments in the meantime)
  • As far as buyers not updating the payment status, I have had no personal trouble with that. But on the issue of feedback:
    I strive to give excellent customer service, and the feedback I get reflects this. Sales have been a bit slow the last couple of weeks, but even with that, I am proud to have made the home page of stores, and have successfully held that position for a month now.
    That being said, I have received only one feedback since the 20th of this month. From the site's perspective, if I am one of the "top" stores. That does not look good. Of course there are times when I've gotten 4 or 5 in one day. It appears right now I'm in the middle of a dry spell. I have some continuous repeat buyers who never leave feedback. I think if the system just promoted it a little more some of these buyers would be more than happy to leave feedback. They keep returning so obviously I must be doing something right.
    On this site we are going to get a lot more drive through buyer than on BL. With that we are going to get less feedback naturally, as many of these buyers will get their order, and not give the site a second thought. That is why I think it is very critical that we make feedback as convenient as possible for the buyers who repeatedly use this site. I might have 100 drive through buyers who's orders went great, and everything was fine. They don't return to leave feedback, but guaranteed the one who is mad because he is missing a part or his order took an extra week to get to him, will more than likely be the one to come and leave feedback.
    Yes, I think the ease of leaving feedback for the buyer could be greatly improved/promoted.
    Katie
  • We've updated the "orders placed" page with very prominent "leave feedback" buttons, so the customer doesn't have to go into the order itself.
  • Lawrence, that is AWESOME. Hopefully that will help increase our feedback left globally!! :-)
  • This is definitely working. I used to get feedback on orders maybe once every to days (with over 100 orders a month). Since the 10th, I've got a few feedbacks daily, some from orders that were placed months ago!

Great work as usual @Lawrence ! Once you have enough feedback, it doesn't really matter to the buyer wether you have 500 or 1000 positive feedbacks, but it's always encouraging to myself. So this is my positive feedback to you!
  • I cheerfully echo what @Brikomania said!!
  • That's great about the feedback!
    I forgot all about this topic, it was 6 years ago :) Last I remember, before I closed here, buyers were actually almost all properly setting their orders to "payment submitted" when they sent the payment. Not sure if I added even more text in caps or the site now encourages buyers more to update it, but it works.
    Anyway, since we have iDeal, I expect that when I reopen here my payments are going to be onsite, so the issue disappears, which is even better! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.