How to make first class default shipping method

I recently added a priority mail shipping option, but I noticed after a few sales that most people are selecting this method even if their order can ship at the cheaper price. I went into my store to check things out, and I see that it is showing as the default shipping method. It is appearing second on the list. For example
First class $3.00
Priority mail $6.05
but the priority mail is selected.
I tried disabling the first class and resetting it, but it did not become the default. I don't need buyer's with 1 oz orders getting confused and selecting it. Also, when you are shopping it shows shipping as $6.05 and not $3.00 which unless you go into the cart and see the cheaper option, this can be a huge turn off. I also tried to set my band up, on the priority mail so that it wouldn't catch these smaller orders, but I can't mess with the starting point which is 0

Any ideas?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Is the "Local collection" checkbox ticked? I can't think of anything else.
  • No it is not checked. I have just removed the priority mail option for now and added another tier to my first class. It's not exactly the best way to do it, but at least the buyer can see the lower cost reflected in the cart prior to checkout.
  • Does both have a different band setting (weight, sizes and/or volume)?
    If so, the chances are high your buyers had something in cart that doesn't have a 'known' size or weight yet in the database, leading them to only have the more expensive shippingmethod on checkout. Go over your orders from those buyers and check 'unusual' items (so basic bricks and such can be excluded) to find out wether one or more items didn't have a 'known size'.
    Recently had a buyer end up (with autocheckout/payment) with a package rate because 2 items didn't have sizes, so the system overcalculated.
    If you really wanna check, fill a cart with the stuff your buyer(s) bought (in worst case, if sold out, temporily add them again -- use a very high price, so no buyer would buy them --) then try a checkout by choosing buyers location and find out for yourself wether your buyer had both options or not.
  • That suggestion sounds sensible. Just to point out on the inventory screen there are links to items missing information on the left. There are some on the dashboard also.
  • Let me clarify. It was giving the buyer (me) BOTH options-- first class at $3 and priority at $6.05. The priority was the one automatically selected by the system, and therefore the one that showed on the side "quick" view of the cart. I could have selected the first class option, but the priority was the one preselected by the system. I had two buyers checkout with carts of just an ounce or two and opted to use the priority mail shipping option. Now, in both of those cases I don't know if they wanted the more expensive option, didn't see the cheaper shipping option, or possible weren't even offered the cheaper shipping option. I only know that in my trial test, I was given both option, but the default was the more expensive.
  • I had this problem in the beginning myself. I got around it by deleting the priority method and then creating it again. Now first class is the default option.
  • Just to clarify, if you are using your own cart to test, it will remember your shipping method s you can't really test what a fresh customer would see