Error Message and Sales Tax Questions

Good morning!

I am getting serious (rawr!) about setting up our Brick Owl store and am trying to get all my settings in order.

I have an error message on my store page: "You have shipping methods set up to ship to more countries than you have payment methods allow. Edit your payment methods to apply to more countries"

When I click the link, I am not quite seeing what the error message wants me to do. I have PayPal enabled as my only payment option, but can accept foreign payments through them (business account) so I'm not sure why I'm getting an error message?

Also, as long as I'm asking: Where can I set up my California Sales Tax rate? I see a place to do VAT tax, but not U.S. sales tax.

Thank you! Apologies in advance if I'm missing obvious stuff, feel free to point and laugh. :)

Pam
Genteel Frog

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • For the Paypal payment method, you probably want to configure it to accept payment from all countries. You should be able to pick "World" as a region, to automatically select all countries.

No idea about the sales tax though :), perhaps someone else can help with that.
  • Stragus, when you say "configure it" do you mean configure it here on Brick Owl, or is that a PayPal setting I need to change on PayPal?
  • Hi @admin would it be possible to add a drop down for US sales tax on the "tax" tab? Attached is a listing of the states with their 2014 tax rate.
  • That's on BrickOwl, you can reserve payment methods for certain countries. Paypal should usually be set on World though.
  • Hi @admin would it be possible to add a drop down for US sales tax on the "tax" tab? Attached is a listing of the states with their 2014 tax rate.
    Your file does list the state tax rates which is a VERY good start, at least then us sellers would have to "eat" the taxes on the county/city level instead of the entire thing!
    "You have shipping methods set up to ship to more countries than you have payment methods allow. Edit your payment methods to apply to more countries"
    Go to:
    My Store>> Settings tab>> Payment Methods>> click your payment method>> look for the drop down highlighted as "Apply a region to the country list".

From that drop down you can do "world" to accept payment from everywhere. Or like me, I select which countries I accept payment from, if you look below that under the section highlighted as
    "Select which countries this payment method applies to."

-Chris
  • @budgetkids @admin

Maybe for the city taxes have an open field for the respective seller to add their city tax rates. I wasn't able to find an inclusive accurate list for cities/counties.
  • Thanks, Chris, for the info - was able to get my settings cleaned up and clear the error message. :)

Definitely we need a place to enter sales tax (even if we have to manually enter a rate instead of a handy drop down).
  • Thats where the problem comes in at. I have worked with Admin in the past about the tax issue. I do operate as a business and am forced to pay taxes (even if my customers aren't charged them here).

The zip codes are typed in by people and not systematically verified. I have had an order once with a missing digit which i had to contact the seller about. Plus, taxes can even be split up. I used to live in an area (Manhattan, Kansas) where different parts of the same exact city are taxed differently depending on the 9 digit zip code.

To top it off, taxes (at least here in MN) are taxed at the rate of the shipping address, not my actual location in Mankato, MN.

It is a hard thing to do but very necessary. Even if I had to pay an extra charge just so admin could redirect the system to check on the tax rate I would do so. Just not a lot though because honestly I don't get to many orders from MN, maybe 3 out of 100 orders or even less?

Chris
  • I am in a difficult position sales tax wise because I'm in California - every venue I've sold on (for books or LEGO), my order rate is generally 10% plus to addresses in California. That's a fairly big tax hit to absorb.

I don't need anything fancy, just a way to have checkout calculate the extra 8% for any order being shipped within California. I can cope with the local/regional tax issues myself.
  • Ouch! I know Cali has HUGE tax rates. I agree with you, even state level tax rates to at least help mitigate the costs substantially would be very nice to have.
  • Ouch! I know Cali has HUGE tax rates. I agree with you, even state level tax rates to at least help mitigate the costs substantially would be very nice to have.
    You call 10% "huge"? Try taxes outside America ;)
  • 10% is my percentage of customers who occur in my home state, and as such are subject to my home state's sales tax rate (in my area of my state, 8%).

Sales tax is only one of many taxes in the U.S. - believe me, we're becoming more European in that regard by the moment. :D