Adding extra costs after checkout?

edited September 2014 in Brick Owl Vote Up0Vote Down
Hello,

Is it possible to add extra costs after the order has been paid for? I have a customer that picked a wrong shipping method, leading to me having to ask for additional payment to be able to ship the order.

I know that I can just ask them to pay the remaining costs through paypal, but it would be more professional if this could be done through BO in my opinion.

We have the chance to change shipping methods ourselves, so maybe that could lead to increasing the costs too? And if so, maybe another fee could be built in to pay for the additional paypal cost?

Thanks,

Patrick

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited September 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hmm, if you tweak around your shipping methods you are probably able to prevent this from happening again in the future. It'll never be 100% accurate, but if you set the margin so that you're safe, you will have to refund rather than ask for more money, which is always better news to bring :D

(Or you can pocket the difference if you so please, after all it's the S&H the customer has agreed on :) )
  • Thanks for the advice, but my shipping methods aren't the problem. I just offer free shipping on minifigures and have specified that the method is only to be used for that.

Now the buyer added some parts to the order, but still chose the free shipping method for minifigures. I don't mind that when it falls within the same weight range, but I can not pay extra shipping for a few low value parts. Hence the need for the additional costs.
  • edited September 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    In that case you should tick the local collection option on the shipping method setting, read the description by the option to understand
  • I'll try that. Thanks!
  • Just had this issue also. I charge $3 for local delivery of items in the Las Vegas area. Had an order from New York use the shipping method.
  • @EricHamby you should tick the local collection option on the shipping method setting, read the description by the option to understand
  • It is but doesn't that just mean its not checked by default? Any customer can still check the shipping option cant they?
  • Thats correct. Depending how much of an issue it becomes you may want to weight up the cost/benefits of offering that method.
  • Well its only happen once so shouldn't be much of an issue. There is always one you know lol.
  • We tried a shipping method for stickers only, but too many customers hosed it up that we had to disable the method. Admin, maybe an enhancement that restricts a shipping method with positive or negative rules?

Examples:
    All items in order must be mini figures
    All items in order must be stickers
    If any item in order is raised baseplate

etc.
  • You could acheive the stickers only rate by applying a dimension limit (ie height limit), baseplates I cover by adding custom weight to include a box.