Synching software?

edited September 2014 in Brick Owl Vote Up3Vote Down
Hey all,

I've been running my store here and on the other sote for quite a while now. BO takes up a good portion of my orders, but unfortunately I'm still depending on the other site too.

Up to now I've been synching my inventory manually, but I've reached the ammount of sales where it's impossible for me too keep up with it, without making errors or falling behind.

Unfortunately I would have to give up selling on here, unless I manage to get some synching software. While I have no knowledge at all about programming, I know that some of you on here have managed to get something like this up and running.

Would anyone be willing to share that? I wouldn't mind a program that's still in beta or hard to work with, as I believe that I could figure stuff out on my own.

I'd also be willing to pay or donate something for it, so please send me a message if you're interested in helping me out.

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Comments

• 26 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Patrick. I use Brickpacker (http://www.brickpacker.com). Gerrit (@Superbrick) runs it and is very helpful. There is a small fee to use the service.

BD
  • edited September 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I've added a module to my administration software that enables me to do manual sync nice and fast. It opens up all items in a BO order on the other site's inventory in browser tabs and I just have to enter the correct numbers and press submit. The BL API is ridiculous, I don't get it at all, but for basic programmers like me this is a pretty neat option. It's basic, fast, and free. I'm considering making it a separate program so I can share it but I haven't fully decided on that yet. Anyway, just sharing my trick, in case that inspires anyone.
  • +1 for brickpacker.com.
  • Exactly as described, I can provide software that's beta and hard to work with. :p

I have suspended that project long enough, it has been competing with many other tasks and hobbies. I'll try to package something minimally user-friendly...
  • @Stragus

I would be very interested in that. Thanks!

Like I said, I don't mind it being hard to work with at all. Everything is better than the way I'm doing it now and I would hate to have to close my shop here, because I love selling on here.

Although I believe Brickpacker to be a good solution, it just isn't for me. I just don't like to give my order information and control over my inventory to a third party.

I'm not saying that it's owner isn't trustworthy or something, but that's just me liking to stay in control and all.
    @PSBricks

I am right there with you. Orders are being "read" by a 3rd party is not good for security purposes. Not that he isn't trust worthy, I am just a very secured person but I want to assure everyone who orders from me they won't have their personal information leaked.

I currently manually sync using BrickStock right now, and would be nice if I had a way to auto sync them that I could do myself. I know it is possible, some have done it, but I am no programer.

I would prefer to pay a flat fee for the program and run it on my computer, or even worst case scenario figure out how to set it up with my web hosting service, just not from someone else server who I don't know or have any control over.

Chris
  • @PSBricks @budgetkids Right. After a very long pause, I have resumed work on my little BrickSync. I'll aim to have a beta out in a week.

Getting something out of it (besides that warm fuzzy feeling you get for helping people :p) surely would be appreciated. It's quite a bit of work, over 25000 lines of code, some of it reused from other projects. It also would have been far less code if I had used external libraries instead of writing everything from scratch, but where's the fun in that? :)
  • I would be intrested in that software as well and definitely would not mind donating to the cause.
  • If I have the time to make it all a bit more user friendly I'll upload the methods I'm using as a stand alone thing as well.
    It opens items from a BO order in BL inventory in the browser so you can easily adjust everything without having to search or browse through your stuff. Not exactly "automatic" and not nearly as good as Stragus' stuff probably, but it works :D and it is also non-intrusive/transparant if you're into that.
    It also converts BL inventory to BO and has some additional conversion options (multiple auto price adjustments, BL/BO exclusive items). Not that that's all very difficult stuff, but it is instantaneous, so syncing BO to BL takes less than 10 seconds literally.
  • @stragus If this software works.. I'll be more than happy to pay you for your troubles. as would many on here. Keep us updated please.
    @brickstackers I don't mind keeping you updated, but there might be little point in publicly documenting progress before any release.

If it's of any interest, new stuff implemented today:
    - New translation database for BLID<->BOID built (and saved) on the fly as it sees items passing by.
    - Robustness in identifying lots from their BOID in case we never caught a reply to a /create query (someone tripped on the ethernet cable, etc.).
    - A bunch of commands to query or manipulate individual items (setquantity, setprice, etc.), from any of BLID, BOID, BlLotID, or BoLotID. Whole .bsx files can also be added to the inventory, of course.

I think we'll be good for some beta testing in the coming week...
  • @stragus Sounds great! I'd love to try it out. And of course a reward for all the hard work is in place!

Thanks for doing this!
  • Small update on BrickSync for anyone interested... I think the software is about ready for beta testing, but I'll be on travel from the 14th to the 20th (a whole week of work meetings to discuss some math problems, wonderful).

I'll have trouble providing any decent tech support before the 21th. Unless someone is feeling courageous :), I think it's probably preferable to wait until then?
  • Small update on BrickSync for anyone interested... I think the software is about ready for beta testing, but I'll be on travel from the 14th to the 20th (a whole week of work meetings to discuss some math problems, wonderful).

I'll have trouble providing any decent tech support before the 21th. Unless someone is feeling courageous :), I think it's probably preferable to wait until then?
    Ill go ahead and have a shot at it.

• I also would like to give it a shot :)

Steve
  • Since I am providing the BrickPacker service I feel that I should respond and provide a slightly different perspective.

It is true that whenever you use a website there is a possibility that whatever information you provide can be abused. I can understand that you do not feel comfortable using BrickPacker for that reason. I will tell you that I am only using the information that is provided for the order sync service.

When you use software written by someone else you place a similar trust in the person writing that software since it would be very easy for them to transfer whatever information you provide (for example the API key) to themselves. Unless you check every single line of the program (and understand what it is doing) and then compile it yourself (if needed) you will never know if the program is only doing what you think it is doing. As a result you will have to trust the writer of the program in the same way that you would have to trust the website owner.

Whenever you install a program on your computer you also put information on that computer at risk (at least on windows). There is not only the risk that the information you need to provide to the program is abused but the program can also obtain and pass along other information from your computer.

I have no reason to believe that Stragus is not trustworthy but when you use his software you would be trusting him while if you use BrickPacker you would be trusting me. If you want to stay in control then you would need to create your own program so you do not need to trust anyone else.

Regards,
    Gerrit
  • @EricHamby @brix4kix All right, you'll be the first two beta testers :). Give me a moment to start a 3-ways BrickOwl discussion a bit later today (I am presently at the PHL airport between two flights).

Regarding trust, I believe the damage that can be done with API keys is very limited in any case. Still, as usual, the best solution is open-source software: if you can't or won't personally review every line of code, you can often assume that others have done so.
  • @EricHamby @brix4kix All right, you'll be the first two beta testers :). Give me a moment to start a 3-ways BrickOwl discussion a bit later today (I am presently at the PHL airport between two flights).

Regarding trust, I believe the damage that can be done with API keys is very limited in any case. Still, as usual, the best solution is open-source software: if you can't or won't personally review every line of code, you can often assume that others have done so.
    Just let us know when your ready.
    Just let us know when your ready.
    Can't you see the private BrickOwl 3-ways discussion with brix4kix too? I can see it under the "Inbox" tab of the forum, I assumed you would be notified. Perhaps that feature isn't working so well and we should proceed by email then.
  • haha no its working... just not paying attention. apparently i need that lil red number to be larger haha.
  • Hi this is Steve sorry for being late but I got hit with a bunch of orders and other things. I am still wondering about the program? I have no computer skills am I going to get myself in trouble with this program, or would that make me a good tester?
  • @brix4kix It's command-line so it might feel counter-intuitive at first, but it's not exactly complicated.

I guess the most complex part might be the add/sub/loadprices/loadnotes/etc. commands expecting a path to a BrickStore .bsx file. Put the file in the same directory as the .exe and type add MyFile.bsx without forgetting the file extension (if the file name has spaces in it, use quotes such as loadprices "New Prices File.bsx").

I had plenty of feedback from another tester, there's a small (Windows-only?) minor glitch I'm trying to reproduce and fix before a public release (technical details: the code can think a lingering keep-alive socket to BL is still active while it's not (where did the FIN packet go?), but SSL_write() fails, possibly triggering a deep synchronization of BL as the code can't be sure if the write did go out or not. It also never occurs with sockets to BO, weird stuff.).
  • Remember that BL is... lets say the master with this. Your inventory here will come from BL, not the other way around. Make sure your BL is in order and perfect the way you want it before using the first time.
  • If it's possible, I would also love to try out the program. I just can't keep up with doing it manually any more, so it would be greatly appreciated,
  • @PSBricks Of course, it's coming. :) I'll post a new thread with the download links and some basic information.