How is the weight of a set meassured?

I am not a real catalog contributor so far, so forgive me if it is a stupid question ;)

I have had some orders that contain sets with catalog weights that are clearly not correct (as example a 6606 for 1.5 kilo). I would be happy to give the actual weight of the set in order to make shipment costs more accurate, however:

I do not have the boxes that came with these old sets. Is there a way to give a better weight anyway? Without the box and stating it so? Give an estamination of the boxs weight? Parts and instructions separate?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Weight of sets=MISB Weight
  • edited August 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    As a side note, when listing a used set, you can use the personal weight field if box and/or instruction are missing. You can also add you personal weight in the listing afterwards by going to your inventory, sets, but you need to be in 'advanced' mode to see the weight field, there you can enter the weight you took from your used set, and it will be displayed to potential buyers (and also during a request quote)

Cheers, Eric
  • In addition to what Eric says, there will never be an "accurate" catalog weight for all sets, it will only be a guide weight. There is often quite a sigificant variation in set weights across a whole lifetime of production (in our experience more than enough to cross shipping bands). The card used in different batches of set boxes can vary and the way sets are packed even changes. We have had many sets where some instructions and sticker sheets are tossed into the box loose whereas others of the same set are packed in a bag with a card insert to keep them straight (and of course adds weight). On another site this was dicussed to death and there were numerous futile changes to catalog weights because one member's set weighed different to another's.

Robert
  • I was afraid of those answers. Like I said, I am not a catalog expert, and I mostly "do" old sets. I can enter my own weight (bricks + instructions 99% of the time), but it feels kind of stupid entering this for my set only, knowing there are many sellers out there with the exact same used set (so without box).

In my opinion a (time consuming) option would be entering the weights seperatly and upon selling have these selection boxes:

- Bricks
    - Instrucions
    - Box

But then again: set with or withous extra parts...mmm. Not easy.

I still wonder how my 6606 weights 1.5 kilo however. Must have contained a hell of a large box, and some extra parts..

• No, set 6066 doesn't have that weight, when Lawrence created the database, all sets without a known weight where put at a weight of 1500 grams (even CMF's and polybags), as it would cover 95% of all sets (from the ones that didn't have a weight) and to make sure it would force buyers (smart enough to realise the weight isn't correct) to request a quote ;)
    Looking at the size of the set, it's most likely around 50/60 grams with box, so entering 70 grams for a boxed set would do the trick, allthough it wouldn't be the correct weight, but still better then 1500 grams I suppose.
    It's up to Admin to allow such estimations or not.