Inventory Backups

I intend to implement a system to delete inventory backups, as they will take up more and more space as time goes on. These are the ones which you can access here http://www.brickowl.com/mystore/inventory/backups not our own database backups.

I haven't decided on the exact schedule, but it will be something like keeping every backup from the last month, then only one backup a week for the next few months, and then only one backup a month beyond that. The idea being you should always be able to retrieve old backups, but you won't be able to download one for every single day from that old time period.

I wanted to see if there are any objections to this?

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This does not bother my store at all. Just prefer an official letter be sent to all stores to let us know before the change occurs so every back-up we may want to keep can be downloaded to our computer before this is implemented.

Chris
  • If the lot history stays, I see no need for myself to have more than a couple of backups.

Brian
  • No objection here, the proposed schedule is very reasonable.
  • I didn't even realise such backups where kept daily (neither that they where downloadable) :\">
    On other sites I usually make backups myself every few weeks, because if the system falls apart (we know the example of that) it's simply better to have a personal backup.

I'd like to make a suggestion: There are probably many sellers who do not know there are such backups, so why not make a weekly routine asking sellers to download their storebackup. With the option to 'decline' or 'download'(with a preset for a location on the Hard drive). That way sellers are advised taking an offline backup is usefull and all would be more tempted to do so if the system asks for it. That way BO could reduce the number of backups to 'every' day the last 2 weeks, twice a week the next 2 weeks, 2 per month next 2-6 months, then no backup (after all, so much inventory changes in 6 months that it's rather pointless to keep it longer then that). It would allow to free up a lot of systemresources and people are simply more tempted to make backups if 'someone' (something) reminds them to do so (most -including myself- are simply too lazy or too busy to plan it on frequent bases, an invitation is simply more efficient).
    Remember the number of stores is growing, the number of items listed is growing, so freeing up systemresources (and I assume online buildinginstructions have been removed for that reason, online chat as well) is the most natural action for a webmaster ;)
  • I disagree on actively asking sellers to download backups or decline the offer. In fact, I hate when any software forces such pointless interaction, like Google+ constantly asking to "Find my friends". Sellers who want backups will download them.
  • No objections here. 30 days is plenty for me.
  • @stragus
    I don't like it either when websites 'ask' me to do something, but a difference must be considered when a website is hosting your 'money' (because after all, your inventory data is 'money' right ? ), it should be appreciated if a site like BO actually would offer such service, and in worst case, *if* such would be implemented, an initial message asking you wether you want the system to 'invite' you weekly (or monthly) to do a regular backup or not might be an option, that way sellers can choose, you can decline the first activation (but activate later on), and others could request to get a reminder weekly (or monthly) with an accept or decline offer.

As a matter of fact, another option is to have a page with a setting to a folder on the C-drive (or any other drive) with an automated backup of ones inventory based on sellers preference (twice a week,weekly, every 2 weeks, 1 month), and once downloaded (max setting would be a month), BO could purge the data based on sellers preference, still keep daily data for 2 weeks (being a hosting service), and purge faster (it could stick to once per month). I wouldn't mind that either, as long there is a notification the download was done (and then every few months one could go to the folder on the harddrive to delete old data).

Remember some money related questions (like paying your fees or certain other costs) also usually generate a nice reminder on most wesites :D
    Quite surprised BO hasn't that yet, a nice red banner would work (at least for me, otherwise I tend to forget and realise after a few days money is 'due') :))

Remember storing data costs money (quite reasonable, but still...), the more stores, the more data (not even considering the 'catalog data' and 'orders data', so in the long run higher costs, keeping costs down by actively storing some backups on a sellers harddrive (usually more then enough space) is cost effective and storage friendly ;)

Besides, now that the extra field for 'packing' dimensions is online (yes it is Alexis), admin now needs to reduce a bit of other data :D (just kidding)
  • edited August 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @stragus
    Besides, now that the extra field for 'packing' dimensions is online (yes it is Alexis), admin now needs to reduce a bit of other data :D (just kidding)
    Ahhh! The packing dimension fields are online and running!!!1one

We didn't get a post in Site Updates, it appears our admin is performing some very nice stealth updates! ;) Thanks Lawrence!
  • It was posted in the 'site updates' on 25/08 ;)
    But I noticed before reading as I wanted to enter the size of a Belville fig and suddenly 2 fields showed (and I used both offcourse) :)
  • @RobErNat Indeed. Silly me, I realize two update messages were posted at the same time and I somehow only read the last one.
  • This sounds more than reasonable. I can even imagine in the future it will be necessary to start chopping up after 1 week rather than after 1 month..
  • No problem for me. Personally I do not need a backup which goes back a long time. Even one week seems reasonable.
  • @lawrence: any thoughts about an automated system as I suggested to 'invite' sellers to get a backup (or a presetting by the seller for automated backup)?
  • I'm happy with the current system.
  • I'm glad you're happy although it doens't make me happier :P
    I really do no wanna have to think about making personal backups on my hardrive (and neither should any seller who desires it), after all we live in an automated world... If I tell my windows to backup my hardrive once a week, it will do so (wether usufull or not). A lot of people do not have IT skills like you do and are depending on the features offered by a site like this, I fully understand from your point of view it would require some programming and maybe even some system resources, and maybe you assume the way the site keeps backups is suffisiant, but can you guarantee it's 100% foolproof? I saw what happend on BL when it was hacked, accounts merged, data corrupted, and then failing to fully restore backups etc.
    I was glad I had a backup from my inventory, allthough it was a month old (not that I needed it in the end), but just in case. I can't imagine someone with IT skills like you can't set this up, not for your own peace of mind, but then at least for the peace of mind of the users. I know one can do it manually, but like many I'm not the kind of guy who want's to be thinking all the time on doing so. After all, I'm sure the BO backup is automated just as well, I'm sure you don't do that manually either ;-)
  • @RobErNat Automatic backups are great, but I think inviting people to download them can mostly just be annoying. And it's hardly "automatic".

The API provides an easy way to fetch the whole inventory (a single wget line in a terminal or script), although the reply in is JSON format while BrickOwl only accept XML or BSX files. It's unfortunate that a conversion requires some coding, that point could be improved.

I don't see a need to create a tiny program just for backups, although it would be simple (BrickSync does make a full backup as BSX at every order or addition of inventory).
This discussion has been closed.