3rd Decimal Pricing?

It looks like the site was built to only support 2 decimals in pricing. Will that be expanding? It makes a difference in large quantities to buyers. It also looks a little strange on importing BL inventory that had tier discounts.

If this will not be expanding, can you clarify the rounding behavior? On import, does it round to the nearest whole cent, or does it round up? For example, does $0.034 become $0.03 or $0.04? Make a huge difference to sellers trying to manage tight margins on low value parts.

Thanks!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey,

The site "should" support 3rd decimal pricing. Prices are shown in some places with 2DP for example on cart totals and then 3DP on actual prices.

You should be able to import prices with 3DP, if this is not the case, please let me know.
  • Ah, I found the problem. BL exports the csv with the fractions. But if you open the csv in Excel and make changes and save it as csv, you lose the fractions. So BL synced sellers be aware of that.
  • Not sure how much of a pain it would be, but I would like to suggest that 3 decimal pricing be allowed only on cheap parts, say under 25 cents. Otherwise it leads to silly pricing on expensive items just to rank higher in the listings. There is a significant difference between $0.025 and $0.030 if you buy large quantities. However, there really is no significant difference between $99.999 and $99.995.
  • @SirTroy A valid point, but ultimately someone has to be cheapest. We will be implementing sorting by minimum shipped price by default and more expensive items once we work out how to store the shipping cost for every single lot to every single country!
  • I have to disagree with Troy's part of this suggestion. 3 decimal pricing should be allowed for those who want it. At least for items priced up to $1.00. It is not simply about undercutting the competition's price by a tenth of a penny (although I don't think that is really a problem either for bulk items). If you allow percentage off sales and tiered pricing, 3 decimal pricing is inevitable even for items above 25 cents.

Let's say I have something regularly priced at $0.35. If I have a 10% off sale, the price will go down to $0.315. If you do away with 3 decimal pricing above 25 cents, will this 31.5 cent sales price be rounded up to 32 cents? If so, then I cannot truthfully claim or advertise a 10% off sale (since after rounding up to 32 cents, my regularly priced 35 cent item is now discounted only by 8.6%).

Or suppose I have a few thousand of those 35 cent parts and want to use tiered pricing based on percentages. For example, let's suppose I want my default tier price discounts to be 5% off for a quantity of 10 or more, 10% off for a quantity of 100 or more and 15% off for a quantity of 1000 or more. For my 35 cent part, the tiered pricing would then be $0.333 for 10 or more, $0.315 for 100 or more and $0.298 for 1000 or more. But if BO did not allow 3 decimal pricing, my tiered prices would then be $0.33 for 10 or more (a 5.7% discount), $0.32 for 100 or more (an 8.6% discount), and $0.30 for 1000 or more (a 14.3% discount).

In all honesty, I really don't see the problem with 3 decimal pricing, even when used to just slightly undercut the competition. If ten sellers are tied for the lowest price on something at $0.50, what is so wrong if another seller wants to price their item at $0.498 so they can better compete with those ten sellers? Is this really such a great sin that we have to ban it outright and inconvenience those who want to use percentage sales and tiered pricing? Seriously, I don't see any problem or sin with 3 decimal pricing.

Thor