Does anyone actually buy instructions?

I'm just wondering, with the instructions for all recent sets on lego.com, I'm not sure why anyone would buy them, or even if the instructions category on here is necessary.

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I personally haven't sold any, but I am trying to sell ones from a few sets that are no longer in production, Avatar and old Star Wars. For a complete category of items produced by LEGO I think it is necessary.
  • Yes. People buy them. I've sold a couple. It's not common, but it's actually kind of nice when they do, because it's a relatively big ticket item.
  • I'm just wondering, with the instructions for all recent sets on lego.com, I'm not sure why anyone would buy them, or even if the instructions category on here is necessary.
    I have sold a few and I prefer building using an instruction booklet.

• Apparently, there is some demand for the instructions from various large and iconic sets. I wouldn't bother keeping and trying to sell instructions though.
  • I have sold 8 total in just over a year. It is much nicer to build from the booklet.
  • I've sold several of instruction books from Architecture sets. Of course, these are exceptions since they contain much more than the typical building instructions.
  • I just send out a quote for one and have sold several (older) ones before, both used and new. But it takes a while before they gain value, so it depends wether you have the needed space to store them (same thing with boxes). Small instructions are offently not worthwhile to keep (recent ones), bigger (and rarer) ones might give some good returns in the long run...
  • Have also sold 2 or 3 from newish sets. Not sure if it worth the storage space!
    I guess customers might find your store via searching for Lego instructions online, which could lead to sales in other parts.
  • Have just tried searching for a recent set I added with instructions via Google.
    Brickowl was number 2 in the search, but it took me to the free instructions PDF download.
    No mention of being able to buy them.

http://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-colby-city-showdown-set-79109-instructions/viewer

@admin could a note be added about buying the physical instructions?

I did find that clicking 'set' then clicking back on the 'instructions' button showed me the physical instructions.

• Very true, the sites profiles good on Google, so the more variaty online here, the more customers are going to be drawn towards the Owl, and while they might not end up buying the instruction, at least they will have found the site and it's many other items :-)

I have less problems with storage, not that I have a hugh house, but I'm preparing space for boxes and instructions in the crawl attick (the lowering corners behind the rooms) just for that purpose.
    Behind the 'playroom' the wall is about 3 meters long and about 1.5 meter high, enough to put in a nice shelf (maybe even in 2 rows), so I'm going to make some small doors to be able to crawl in there and store boxes and instructions. Right now it's just lost space... A bit inconveniant if I have to pick out something (but it wouldn't be every day), but at least I can keep it all available :-)
  • I collect physical instructions, so we are out there. I am only missing two or three to have all the "modern" technic sets.

The motorized At-At was the hardest set to find and was not cheap. Those a fine example of how they can increase in value relatively quickly depending on the set.

• I have a buyer on another site who regulary buys instructions and little leaflets or other similar stuff. Last time he told me he had over 700, so right now he must be closing in to 1000 even though he does not have all the sets. So yes, instructionscollectors are out there, but wether that makes it worthwhile for all sellers to keep instructions around for years is questionable (particulary if lack of space), after all, some raise value because a lot of sellers tossed theirs after partout :D
  • I used to sell them on a rare basis in the past, until I decided to stop doing it.
    - Too much volume/weight storage per turnover
    - Too much packaging time and material needed to pack them

What I do now is save them all up and sell them in lots outside of my shop. You can add them to your stockroom so you'll at least have a list with instructions you have when you're offering them.

I sold 60kg of instructions to a guy who parts in sets. Even though almost all of them were recent sets, mostly minor sets, insignificant sets, he still wanted to have them all. I sold them for really cheap, obviously, but having someone pick them up for a bit of money is better than having to dump them yourself :)
  • I've sold a few. I have decided not to inventory every set of instructions I come across. I will inventory bigger and more exclusive set instructions. They take up too much room, you have to provide excellent packaging to protect them, and they usually end up weighing more than what people pay for in shipping.
  • I bought a load not so long ago on the other site. A seller had free shipping for up to 2kg over a certain price threshold that I had already met and they had them for 1p-5p a set of instructions. So I bought loads for a quid and the kids cut them up and use them for collages.
  • On the same topic of this thread, if anybody has the instructions for the Death Star II (10143). I am looking to get my hands on a copy and would be willing to discuss buying it from you.
  • Instruction books sold pretty well in my eBay store. I suspect a lot of customers thought they were buying the set and were surprised to see only books :) I quit selling them and don't have any listed on Brick Owl.
  • Thank for the replies everyone, I guess I'll list some more when I have time and see what happens.