no shipping method available although enabled

So I disabled the 'request quote' (see post 'no item in quote'), and tried it out by filling a shopping cart in my store. My shipping methods are by price band, and they ARE enabled. But when I view my cart, it doesn't give the shipping cost but says 'no shipping method available'. What's wrong (it worked for my first order here, but now it doesn't any more)?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think that for every time you make changes to your shipping method you need to reset the countries that you ship to. I have been having trouble with this as well. See my post to come.
    Katie
  • thanks, I tried. But still doesn't work.
  • I even recreated the shipping method, disabled the old one and enabled the new one - and it still doesn't work. HELP !!! what else can I do?
  • ok, I made it work at least for Germany (recreated shipping methods several times, and got something usable in the end). Not exactly how I wanted it, but it works. As I have chosen my shipping costs by price band, I wanted just one method, so that the buyer would see the cost upfront without having to choose/tick anything. But it only worked with 2 methods (problem of shipping method name, I suppose).
  • Hi,

Very sorry for the trouble you had, there was a bug in the code that meant when you had a total dimensions limit, but no individual dimensions limit, it got confused. It should now be working correctly for any shipping methods that have a total dimensions limit.
  • thanks, you're the best. And sorry, if you got confused by the total dimensions limit but this is necessary (and even a maximum weight limit should be necessary) as German Post has restrictions. If by chance these restrictions are not met (very unlikely, but could happen), then shipping would have to be done by carrier at much higher prices.
  • Yes, totally understood, you have the same airmail restrictions as we do in the UK. You can do the weight limit on weight banded shipping options, but not price banded. I will add it to my list to allow it for shipping methods that are based on price bands.
  • I've chosen the price band as IMO it's a very good way to help buyers to calculate by themselves upfront and to easily adjust their shopping cart. And it might invite to buy more (that's why I have free shipping for high orders). And the weight band is not good for me, as I pack items separately and certainly use much more protection than sellers normally do.