Little bug in sorting the parts list

edited August 2014 in Site Issues Vote Up3Vote Down
For my received orders I sort the items this way:

Condition - Category - Name (ID) Color - Note

To get this, I first click on the arrow next to the "Category - Name (ID) Color - Note" column, then on the one for the "conditon" column.

However, while BrickOwl provides that way of sorting, it doesn't remember it. Whenever I close and reopen or open another order, the parts are sorted by conditon only and after that the order seems to be random.

It is persistent behaviour, and I can't think of how this could be considered a feature, so that leaves it a bug then. Can it be fixed? Would be neat if it'd remember my setting so I won't have to click the arrows every time. Thanks!

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You have to use the shift key while selecting both columns. Works great for me and it remembers the settings. Must be said: just on a Windows computer.
    I still have not figured out how I can do his on a tablet...

Frank
  • That works, thanks Frank! Yeah, would love for that to work on my tablet as well.. I'll give it a try this afternoon..
  • Nope, I can't get it to work either. Maybe it will when I attach a keyboard, but I don't have it around right now. Would be good if this got fixed, because having the same order of parts on both my tablet and PC makes things much more orderly for me.
  • The sorting is saved on the local computer, in the web browser, it is not saved on your account.
  • Yeah but on my tablet it keeps forgetting the setting like described in my original post. Every time I go back and forth or go to another order, the items are scrambled again. Frank's fix involved holding down Shift, and as there is no Shift key on a tablet it can't be done there.
  • Righto, your tablet might not support local storage, which is how the sorting is saved on the browser.
  • No, listen :D

I want to sort things: Condition / Category

To do this, I press the arrow for the Category column, and then I press the arrow for the Condition column. That way it uses Condition as the first criterium (used parts end up below) and within both the new and the used parts it sorts them by Category. This is just what I need.

But then.... when you go back and forth, on which ever machine, it loses that setting. It only remembers the Condition sorting and forgets the secondary Category sorting.

Frank's way to fix is is by holding shift down and then pressing the arrow. That way, both columns get a blue arrow, and that way it works and it is remembered.

Buttttttt... tablets don't have the shift key, so can't do that there. The tablet would probably remember it if I could do it, but I can't.

So, if the system could remember the setting when doing it the shift-less way I did at first, it would work on tablets as well.

Hope this is clearer :D
  • Oh, I follow now. When you press one column, and then press another column, without holding the shift key, the last column you click on, is the column you are sorting by, and that is what will be saved. By holding the shift key, you are telling it that you want to sort by both columns, and both columns will be saved. The only way to tell it you want to sort by two columns every time, is by holding the shift key.
  • Yeah, exactly. Well, in my case I can solve it by attaching a keyboard to the tablet once, do it, and then never touch the columns again :D But for people with other tablets (worse ones like Ipads :P ), they can't do it, which is a shame..
  • Almost 2 years later, this is still not fixed... I had been using tablets and my phone which do not have a shift function and therefore couldn't get my sorting preferences remembered. It eventually drove me to focus on selling on BL... I'm picking up business again here but having to (remember to) set my sorting options each time I open a pending order is still rather tedious..
    The only way to tell it you want to sort by two columns every time, is by holding the shift key.
    Please, please, add a button for it... I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem; being able to sort items well is a crucial part of this type of business..

• Ok, if it's not possible to improve the interface, let me ask something else -

What _are_ items currently sorted by, by default? The problem is that I cannot set "condition" as the primary sorting and "category/name" as secondary. "condition" is the primary, so far so good, but within "new" and "used", the items appear to me to be completely randomly sorted. Is there any logic to it? If so, is it necessary to have it that way, or can we have "category/name" as the default instead? I don't think anyone benefits from a randomly sorted list.
  • Thank you for bringing that to my attention, the default has now been updated so that it is sorted by condition and then the category/name column second. The browser will probably have stored the current sorting preference, so to return to the default, you would probably need to clear your cookies on the device.
  • Thanks, that helps!

What I meant was slightly different, but it amounts to the same thing. I was thinking that whenever items are sorted only by condition and nothing else, have the items within "new" and within "used" appear in the order consistent with "category/name" instead of some random order. But this works too.

Maybe still nice to have an alternative to the shift key in the interface for tablet users to customise their primary and secondary sorting column, but for me personally this pragmatic kind of fix solves my situation. Thanks!
  • Seems this problem is back... items again appear randomly ordered...
  • The sorting is remembered on your browser, so if your browser deletes the information stored on it, you would need to sort the columns again as before
  • Once I press "condition", it splits New and Used but within New and Used the items are once again ordered at random, just like before the fix you created July 11.. Should be Animals-Bricks-Plates-Slopes-Tiles, etc..
  • Could you let me know which order you have this issue on, and I can then try to recreate that
  • 3685584 for example.
    After July 11 if I would press the arrow on Condition it would sort Animal-Container-Hinge and then the used bricks. Now it's the same as how it was before that date, when sorted by condition these 3 new items appear sorted randomly.
  • Ah, I forgot what change I had made. I previously changed it so that the default sorting would be better, it sounds like you have probably clicked on one of the column names by mistake at some point and changed the sorting. To go back to the default sorting, you would need to clear your browser's settings, probably clearing the cookies may do it.
  • Oops, yes, I did something wrong. Just opened it on another device and it sorts by both columns properly!