It's finally here!

edited July 2014 in General Vote Up4Vote Down
My building permit that is. After much planning and more waiting I can actually start our addition, here is my first broken ground picture.

I wanted to keep my store open as long as I could, but yesterday I had to put my inventory in storage. I already had the kids sleeping in one room, as that will now be a hallway it was hard to convince everybody sleeping in the living room was a better idea than closing up shop.

It will be so nice to for everyone to have their own room and have a new workshop with at least twice the space to fill up. :)

I don't know how much you all are interested but I will post some progress pics along the way.

Celebrating,

Joe

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited July 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Sure, feel free to share!

A workshop with twice the space means a BrickOwl store with twice the part count, right? :)
  • Residential construction? Yes, keep me updated please. :-)
  • Congrats.. I would love to follow this project.
  • I think twice the part count sounds good, I have a goal of 250 k and will see how well I can keep up to that. Sorting in the workshop instead of the living room will make everyone happy even if I don't fill it to the brim with parts. :)

I hit my first physical snag on Friday. Exposing the sewer to find the connection to the town, as I had the old cast iron and poured lead pipe from the house, I found the connection but something else as well.

It started out as one little void with a small splash, a bit more digging and I found the quite old septic tank. At least 2 meters deep now, as it would be under the "footing" I have to excavate and remove it, then fill it up 4" at a time in compacted gravel "lifts".

Better I found it now than a day or two before I scheduled pouring the concrete.

• hi nice you share this with us, good luck with building the extension !

just out of curiosity, how do you sort your lego ?

kind regards,
    peter
  • Bugger. Those pesky things always show up where you don't want them. Those and old drywells. Or wells.

Brian
  • just out of curiosity, how do you sort your lego ?
    Hi Peter,

Happy to try and paint a picture on how I do my sorting.

I use the trays from older LEGO_Ed sets to sort into.

width=

I make as much table area as I can to have as many out at the same time. I have more than 20 of both sizes of the trays so some of the larger compartment-ed trays and a few plastic shoe boxes as well if the set has some bigger parts or lots of one thing.

I try and have multiples of a set if possible, so I open all the sets and sort like bags together first. Small inside bags get put aside for the last when found inside a big one, many times all the small things are stored close to each other in my system.

I open one set of bags at a time into a shoe box sized bin that parts won't fall out of and I can get both my hands in to pick parts easily. Sometimes if lots of one set, this step is repeated so the sorting bin does not get too full to find things easily.

I set up the trays so like parts go together, black axles in this one, pins in that one, basically the same way my inventory bins are sorted. I chose a part or two and fill up my hands so I make as few movements to the trays as is reasonable, pick the next easiest colour or part in the box. I and my sorting box are mobile so I can work near the trays that are most relevant.

When things go well I end up with everything sorted into categories in stackable trays and visible for checking alternates. I go find out what alternates exist and note the quantities of each. Depending on the set I may check the full inventory and or check some of the more important quantities.

I try to put everything away into proper storage before I list them for sale, too many times I have sold something before it is put away and ran into time or memory issues because of it.

A few finer points here and there left out, always trying to get a bit better each time.

Joe
  • Hey all,

Been a long time since I stopped in, hope everyone is great. The addition is taking a bit longer than I first thought. :)) I had help with the concrete and spray foam insulation, everything else hs been me.

I hope to be open again by the end of this year, the office is last on the list for finishing.

Here are some pictures of where I am now. Tiling the upstairs bath this week.

Last pic is the room the store will be, looking forward to a shelf for each row of boxes. :)

• @walstib wow this looks very nice, good luck with the final steps !!