Tax questions

edited July 2014 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
I have some questions about the tax feature.
- What is it used for precisely? Only for calculating fees due to BO, or is it for personal administration as well (in the latter case it is inadequate, see below)?
- Does it cause items for people outside of the tax zone to appear cheaper, or is the price the same and the tax simply deducted when the buyer is from within the tax zone?

I noticed tax is calculated over the item price only. For example, I got this:

Sub Total EUR 12.97
Shipping EUR 1.05
Incl. 21.00% Tax EUR 2.25
Order Total EUR 14.02

Calculating it back, it seems the tax is only taken from the sub total and not from the additional charges. Is that because it is only intended to calculate fees due to BO (which is 2,5% of sub total and not handling charges)? If so it is rather tricky for your personal administration, as to me it implies it is the total amount of tax on that order as a whole.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's been a while since I worked at HMRC, and VAT was never my speciality, but I'm pretty sure that VAT would be due on the shipping charge at the same rate as that due on the goods being supplied.
  • Yeah, shipping is debatable maybe, but handling & packaging for sure.
  • We have tax profiles for the EU VAT and Norway. We have a variable to specify if Tax Should be applied to shipping. As a result of stores in the Netherlands and Denmark informing us that it should not be, it is marked as not having tax applied. Do you believe this to be incorrect, and if so, could you point to some further information on this in specific regard to the Netherlands?

If you have VAT enabled for your store, for countries that VAT does not apply to, the VAT will be removed from the price of the item.

Tax Settings has nothing to do with the commission.
  • Hi Lawrence,
    Good question. I think in the NL, VAT on actual postage stamps is controversial - there is no tax on it, unless a "business" person touches it - then the "added value" appears out of nothing and has to come out of his pocket rather than the company PostNL. However, the line between "adding value" and simply buying shipping on behalf of another person is unclear (basically there is no line). Also, the tax agency says it is a 'necessary evil' because otherwise they can't know if you're hiding part of your profit in shipping costs. On the other hand, however, that same agency requires you to keep track of all details of your business in invoices and if they would take the time to practise what they preach and look into it, they could verify it without the "necessary" evil.
    All in all I bet it's one of these many fiscal adventures you could win a lawsuit over. Looking at their terms, most professional Dutch sellers on the competition don't seem to calculate VAT over the shipping costs. I don't either.

VAT on handling & packaging should of course always be there no matter the circumstances or country. So that is the tricky bit - Brick Owl could take the simple approach and calculate VAT on the whole shipping cost variable, or you can split it up into actual postage (possibly no VAT if desired) and commercial handling&packaging (VAT). You have a fair reason to calculate VAT on everything, as that is the Dutch tax agency's official statement on their website. At any rate, the way it is right now may cause Dutch sellers to forget to manually add VAT on their handling & packaging.

Personally, though, the system as it is now will probably work for me; I will just parse the order in my own software. It'll take the Brick Owl calculated tax on the parts, and it will know how much handling tax to add to that. (That is, if I know how to put individual orders into my software.. I already saw I can download orders, but I'm not yet sure which orders it will download, it'd be useful for me to be able to parse them one at a time, so individual download buttons on each order in the list)
  • edited July 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Surely "handling and packaging" is a business cost that should simply be factored into your margins? I'm sure many companies do wrap this into their shipping costs in order to make it a 'per order' cost rather than a 'per item' cost, but if handling and packaging is subject to VAT while shipping is not, combining the two wouldn't be the best idea, if only because I imagine doing so means the combined total would be subject to VAT - and why increase the cost to your customers if you didn't have to?

To get the best out of BO you have to understand the differences between BL vs BO pricing.

On BL, many stores will itemise every little thing. For example:

Cost of parts £2.12
    Paypal cost £0.82
    Handling cost £1.00
    Packaging cost £0.50
    Shipping £2.41
    Total £6.85 (of which £1.31 is VAT)

This is great as you know exactly what you're paying for, but it comes at a cost. There's a delay between placing your order and being able to make payment, which may impact on how quickly you receive your order. There's a time cost for the buyer if they want to get the cheapest possible price, as they have to review the terms of many stores and make many calculations. There's also a time cost for the seller because they have to make calculations every time an order is received.

As a seller on BO you have to choose up-front how to factor these costs into your pricing. Do you inflate your item pricing, your shipping costs, or both? You can combine your packaging and handling costs into your shipping prices, and a small amount to cover the basic PayPal fee, and then inflate your item prices slightly to cover the PayPal % fee. Whatever you choose to do you're never going to truly replicate what you could do on BL. This probably means that sometimes the customer will end up paying a little more, sometimes they'll pay a little less.

So you might end up with:

Cost of parts £2.65
    Shipping £4.26
    Total £6.91 (of which £1.32 is VAT)

Although everything isn't openly itemised, the pricing remains transparent. It could be argued more so than on BL because it's now infinitely easier for a customer to directly compare several sellers without having to worry about ad-hoc fees and charges that vary from store to store. In most cases a customer is also able to pay immediately which reduces the delay in receiving their order.

As a buyer as well as a seller I absolutely prefer the BO method. I'm also more certain that the BO way is compliant with the relevant EU regulations that demand clear pricing, and less sure about the BL way because often the fees and charges are hidden in the small print.

Sorry for the long post :D
  • I don't think most buyers care about accelerating the shipping by 1 to 24 hours. Most importantly, as a buyer, the BrickOwl method allows one to maximize value for shipping.

It's easy to fill up a cart while trying to stay under some weight threshold that doubles the shipping rate. When a shipping quote has to be requested, you may not know if you are 10g above some limit that doubles your shipping rate. Optimizing value for shipping in that case involves a lot more work and a fair dose of guessing.
  • Yeah you're right Hoddie, the BO way is more quick & dirty but also more transparent. The only trouble however, is that it comes up with a VAT amount that is not the actual VAT amount. If you're aware of that, no problem, but it could be misleading for inexperienced sellers.

@Stragus: Actually, I don't think that is true for most people. BL features item weight as well, and I have a table of shipping costs. Also, in every invoice (4 a day) I explicitly write "X gram left without additional shipping costs" - and very few people ever add anything. Even if it's just a few gram over a limit. I would totally do what you say though, but I'm Dutch.. :D
  • edited July 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Probably the best thing to do would be to make the shipping tax optional for the store, so they can make their own decision about whether it applies or not.
  • You're probably right @Stragus, most won't worry about a day or two, but some BL sellers openly admit it can be 1-2 weeks before they even get back to you with a total price. That's understandable for the smaller seller who does it as a hobby when they get chance, but such delays can be minimised here on BO because the seller can make it so buyers are able to check-out instantly.

@Admin, since you mentioned VAT profiles above, I wondered how BO handled the oddball territories such as the Channel Islands, Heligoland, Livigno and Monaco for example? Some like Gibraltar and Monaco have their own entry in the shipping tables so it's easy to choose whether to apply VAT or not, but others like the Channel Islands and the Canary Islands do not. I just wondered if the VAT treatment of such places was done under the hood as it were?
  • That sounds good Lawrence :) At least that way it forces sellers to think about it rather than implying something potentially incorrect.