New here, little shipping cost settings help?

Hi there! I apologise if this has been asked a bunch of times before, I just couldn't find it. If I look up for example a minifig that I have in my store, say, http://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-elizabeth-swann-turner-minifigure#buy

For a Dutch buyer, it says shipping is EUR 6,75. However, I've specified a cheaper option of EUR 0,64 with the appropriate dimension restrictions. Obviously this would fit in 300x240x25mm.. so what's up?

Thanks! :)

Mathieu

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It appears all the dimensions are not entered into the catalog for that minifig. Default is to larger than normal dimensions I believe. If you Edit/Add the dimensions to the catalog, once it is approved it should show the more appropriate shipping rates.
  • Ok, well at least it seems so far I did everything correct then, good to know :) I'll look into what contributions I can make, thanks!

For now though, what's the best strategy to make the ugly 6,75 shipping disappear? Remove the shipping options altogether and stick to quotes entirely, or is there a better way?
  • Also, I noticed that another Dutch store manages to get the system to output €1,50 for them. I wonder how they do that, if it's a catalog error..
  • I'd guess that seller has chosen to exaggerate the maximum dimensions of that shipping option in order to ensure the default minifig measurements fit within it.
  • I would say the best way would be to input the measurements :) I keep a ruler on my work desk now to randomly pull parts in my inventory every few days and input the missing dimensions. There should be a handy link on your "My Store" page that links you to all your lots missing dimensions ;)
  • Thanks guys. Fixed it by increasing the width for now, and will probably add some dimensions later.

How does BO calculate if an order is gonna fit though, does anyone know that? I mean, it can't just add everything up unless you like your parts molten and then cast into a single solid block of plastic :D I guess it's always gonna be a rough estimation.. I just hope it's gonna be fairly accurate.
  • I have had no real issues, maybe one or two out of hundreds of orders, so it makes it excellent in my book, but I only worry about weight. Remember to give room for packaging in your weight calculations. I leave about 15grams for small orders in each shipping band and 25grams in my larger bands before it starts going to box rates....I know each country is very different with shipping, just one thing I see people forget to incorporate to their bands.
  • The best solution would be the measure the minifig and input the dimensions in the system.

The second best option is to enable the check box "Force Quote" on all minifigs.
  • How does BO calculate if an order is gonna fit though, does anyone know that?
    To the best of my understanding.

Each part/item gets a imaginary box drawn around it's entered dimensions.

If just weight and maximum dimensions are considered (no volumetric limits chosen for the shipping method); If all of the boxes independent of each other could fit within the dimension limit, it would be shown as an option on checkout. There could be too much volume to fit a given method, but it is a case by case scenario.

If there is a volume limit as well the system does a bunch of fancy rotating and puzzling to find a best fit for all the "boxes" in the order and compares this to both the dimension limit and the volumetric limit.

Happy to be corrected if I am off somewhere, fits my experience.
  • Thanks for the replies guys. That sounds like a pretty decent algorithm if that really is how it works. Once we have all the dimensions right and the community keeps it up to date, that could be a pretty powerful system :)