are off site links allowed on your store home page ?

What are the rules about embedding links in your store home page to other sites ? for example am i allowed to link to my ebay store , or my flickr account etc , or at the most extreme can i sell advertising space on my home page ? jc

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Whatever seems reasonable, linking to social media is fine, linking to other places you sell Lego is not.
  • Rules that ask users to be reasonable usually don't work. Everyone has a different way of reasoning. It's probably a good idea to document the boundaries of reasonable for store-homepage linking. Not the most urgent thing of course...
  • Yes, because as a seller it is perfectly reasonable TO ME that I link to everywhere that I sell LEGO.

You will have to be VERY specific about what is allowed and what is not allowed.

For example, here is a link to my BrickLink store:
    http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=mnementh

Probably not going to be be allowed.

But, what about:
    "Check out Sir Troy's Toy Kingdom on BrickLink"
    or
    "Check out Troy's Surplus on Amazon"

There is no direct link, but the necessary information is there for people to navigate on their own.

One thing that my experience at BrickLink has shown is that if you do not specifically forbid something, people will assume it is OK and cite the lack of a rule against it as justification.

Troy
  • Dealing with this kind of stuff really kills your motivation. I would hope that this stage people would be reasonable so I can focus on developing the site rather than developing rules.
  • This is why I dealt with such things at BrickLink, to shield Dan from having to deal with it so that he could concentrate on more important tasks.

It would be great if you could say "The intent is to not allow anything that would drive sales to other sites" and have people abide by that. But they won't. Most will, but there will always be some that push the envelope to gain an advantage.

So you end up splitting hairs with people. Where they think that it is OK to type out the URL to the store as long as it isn't clickable and thus "not a link".

Troy

• Ah, that's quite interesting, I didn't consider he would have gone through the same kind of stuff.

I think I will leave it as is for now because I do not mind if people want to link to the Lego shop or a ridiculous eBay listing. I only mind if people start saying "don't buy from here, buy from me at this other website instead"
  • I'm getting

Welcome to my sandbox. We would like you to play nice, by our best judgment now.

Please abide by the spirit of said law, until it and it's interpretation can be written down fully.

This is a never ending process, so please be patient.
  • That about sums it up. I will also add, please do not sing loudly and terribly out your window, it may annoy neighbours trying to make websites.