Please add 2 features for response to quote requests

It would be very helpful to be able to enter 2 quotes for different shipping options usually 1st Class or Priority

and it would be equally helpful to have an "add optional note" for entering an explanation etc

Thanks G

Comments

• 33 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • hi
    yes, for some countries I prefer for ship as registered (insurance) but now it's only possible for 1 quote, I think I lost orders on this way.
    When a 2nd quotes is filled with registered/insurance possible, think it will be easier.
    OK, now I sent messages with a lot of info.
    ;)
    Stefaan
  • good idea, I agree!
  • I agree with the above.
  • It would indeed be helpfull if we had 2 options when providing a quote, with a text field (regardless wether with preset text or an editable one) to give buyers more then 1 option. I usually give the cheapest, but that always means there is no tracking, I'd like my buyers to be aware of that and the secondary option might allow me to have the tracked version available as well when providing a quote.
  • @Admin,

Is there a plan to implement including a note with the quote?

Also, is it possible to retrieve an old quoted value? I just received a quote request for an item I've issued a quote for in the past. At the time I made no record of it and I will probably have to measure/weight again. It would be very helpful to have access to the history of quotes issued.

Thanks
    BD
  • I can imagine that maybe a lot of rewiring of the system would need to be required if a single quote had a dual value, but if there'd just be a comment field then that would be good. You can give out a quote like "hi I picked priority airmail for you on this one, if that's not what you want, send me another request". A comment field in requesting the quote would be just as important, a buyer can respond that way or on his own initiative request a particular kind of shipping method.
  • edited August 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I don't have any plans to have the possibility to submit multiple quote responses, the preference is for stores to use built-in shipping methods as much as possible and for the quote system to be a fallback. There is a task to allow notes to be submitted with quotes though. You can currently send the customer a message if you want to send something along with the quote.
  • Thank you. Inclusion of a note was my primary question. Glad there is a plan to implement it as it looks cleaner than receiving a quote and then a message about it (from the customer's perspective).

The other question was whether it is possible to access a history of quotes issued. Surely there must be a record somewhere, right?

Thanks again.
    BD
  • To get to quotes history.

My store - quotes - all quotes.

This will only show quotes that haven't been ordered. I think there's a time limit for how long they stay there.
    Quotes are actually carts, if they clear the quote from the cart by adding to the cart, then the quote is gone. There isn't any history at the moment, of course technically anything could be implemented. My thoughts on this are similar to before in that I I would prefer the normal shipping system be used rather than putting more advanced features into the quote system..
  • Good to hear an optional note when giving quotes is on the list. Is there / will there also be an optional note feature in requesting a quote? It'd probably be good if buyers can be like "hi I want cheapest possible / insured / whatever" or stuff like "I wanted to pick priority airmail but I wasn't sure if this part would fit, could you check".
  • I believe we are all using quotes because of the parts and minifigs which are assumed to have very large dimensions.

If we could solve that issue, the need for quotes would mostly disappear. Perhaps all parts/minifigs could have a field of packing/approximate dimensions, which would be used in place of the real exact, built dimensions? I really think we need a solution to this. We shouldn't have to use quotes in the first place!
  • Customers can currently put a note on quotes. I would prefer dimensions are submitted for items in the catalog rather than making stopgap solutions.
  • I honestly only have weight bands set up for my store, not very detailed at all(no volume specific methods or regional rates). I almost never get quotes and when I do it is for something over 5 lbs or so as my limits only go up that high. Why are others getting so many quote requests? I know many countries have vastly different methods and costs, but it seems easiest to input some general guidelines and run with it. RARELY will someone order something that is vastly overcharged on shipping(think I had an instruction book or something that was able to be shipped cheaper, I refunded the extra and the buyer thought I was a rock star for just being honest). If the farthest corner of the country buys just enough I will lose a little on the shipping I charge, but most others have say a 30-75 cent buffer built in to cover materials and perhaps lessen the sting of a miscalculated charge. Don't sweat the pennies on a decent sized order. I get on average 3 orders a day while I am opened here(been a few small vacations lately) and have had a total of 3 quotes/requests in the last 6 months. Am I missing a lot of sales at my store? I don't think so for the size of my store, perhaps the ease of checkout, ie not having to get a quote offsets that small percentage? I get a good amount of overseas orders with my unfortunately high USA shipping rates, I think convenience is the key factor on this site perhaps vs some other marketplaces. Get your store to the point they can checkout instantly and pay, then work on tweaking it imo. That was my plan, just have not felt the need to tweak my original setup much. The beauty of having all my orders flow in without ever having to give a shipping estimate or quote or having people ask about shipping charges is a dream for a medium size seller like me. The hours saved per week is invaluable in my setup. Just my thoughts, sorry for the wall of text.

Patrick
  • I honestly only have weight bands set up for my store, not very detailed at all(no volume specific methods or regional rates). I almost never get quotes and when I do it is for something over 5 lbs or so as my limits only go up that high. Why are others getting so many quote requests?
    Because in some countries, including Canada, sending packages under a certain thickness (20mm in Canada) is much cheaper than parcels.

BrickOwl assumes that minifigs are huge and don't fit under 20mm, and calculates the expensive parcel rate for any order including such a part. To avoid that, we flag "Force quote request" on all minifigs, so that we can actually charge the low shipping rate for such thin orders (rather than scaring away customers).

The result is that we receive a bunch of quote requests.
  • You could always spend an hour adding dimensions to figures rather than 5 minutes per day responding to quote requests :) 12 days in and you're in time profit. In theory anyhow.

If all sellers who force quote requests, including me, set aside an hour or so to add some dimensions, we could make a real difference.
  • I should add that the reason I don't do this myself is that the catalogue update process is clumsy and slow.

The Exo-Suit set is a classic example. I created the inventory, had it partially approved before it was decided to see if the inventory would auto-update direct from Lego. Fair enough, but this meant a 4-5 day delay. I then created the mini-figures, which took 2-3 days to approve, with one of them being created with an error, which again took 2-3 days to correct. And now the inventory contains mini-figures and the parts separately. When I attempt to edit the inventory, what's presented to me is a different inventory to the one that actually appears on the inventory tab, which seems to indicate that someone else is also trying to tinker with it. A couple of weeks in and this one set has taken 30 minutes or so of my time and it's still not right. I still can't part out the set without doing each part individually.

As I touched on in another thread, a couple of updates I submitted have been sat there for months, without explanation until I mentioned them on the forum. The whole process is extremely frustrating and does not encourage you to do your bit.

Frankly the experiences I've had make having to deal with quotes by far the better option.
  • Until you enter all your dimensions, why wouldn't you allow the safer shipping method along with the request a quote option?(maybe put a brief line in your front page about asking for a quote if they think shipping can be manually calculated cheaper). You may be scaring more customers away by forcing them to ask for a quote instead of just paying the higher shipping option. I get many customers routinely paying for USPS Priority instead of USPS first class to simply get their parts 1 day quicker. As I said, many people are looking for the convenience of paying x price and being done. Not wanting to wait on a store to respond to their quote, log back in, finish the order etc. I would suggest all sellers setup the automated payment methods(stripe/paypal) and the auto shipping calculations and run it for a few months and see how well it actually works. Everyone wants a fix/scenario coded in for every situation, that is probably not going to be possible. See how the basic parameters fit your store and then tweak from there. Not all transactions will be ideal on either end, but once you spend a little time getting all your missing dimensions in, I think the program works pretty amazingly. I could incorporate dozens of more options to my shipping methods to possibly save customers a few dollars here or there, but do they really want to see 8 different ways I could ship their order? I doubt it. Again, just my thoughts and overwhelmingly positive experiences with the system. I can understand you thinking that something is going to scare people away, but I am amazed at the amount of people who will buy 2$ of parts from me and not bat an eye at $6.55 for the first ounce to ship internationally. This is pretty much the standard default shipping rate for international customers from the USA.
  • Most postal services in the EU allow you to send a small parcel as a letter providing you keep the width low (in Belgium it's less than 30mm, in the UK less than 20mm I believe). This offers many advantages. Firstly, as they're being treated as letters rather than parcels, it isn't necessary to complete customs forms and thus reduces the work for the seller, and potentially the fees payable by the customer. Secondly, these are usually processed by automated systems in the receiving country and so long as the address is printed this can greatly speed up the delivery. Thirdly, these parcels fit within most standard letterboxes which removes the need for the customer to be home in order to accept the order. Finally, you can put these small parcels into any post box and don't have to visit the Post Office or have a courier come and collect them. This can help speed things up for some sellers and reduce costs further (for example there's a post box right outside my home).

The trouble with the standard default minifigure dimensions is that they're set too big for these parcels despite the fact that 99.99% of figures would comfortably fit within them.

As a seller the available options are to (1) Force a quote request, (2) accept that your figure will show a much larger shipping cost in the listings and put you at a significant disadvantage over many sellers; or (3) go in and add the dimensions. (3) isn't an option for some due to the issues I outlined in a post above, and (1) is surely better than (2) unless you're the only seller offering that particular figure for sale?
    Until you enter all your dimensions, why wouldn't you allow the safer shipping method along with the request a quote option?(maybe put a brief line in your front page about asking for a quote if they think shipping can be manually calculated cheaper).
    I think seeing the parcel rate would scare customers much more. The difference is huge. We are talking about $1.80 for Oversized Mail compared to about $12 for a parcel.
    You could always spend an hour adding dimensions to figures rather than 5 minutes per day responding to quote requests
    In theory, yes, but BrickOwl wants "built" dimensions for minifigs, so it's not just a matter of measuring. You have to assemble brand new minifigs (making them used) just to measure them. I tried submitting approximative dimensions by measuring the parts themselves (which may be off by 2-3mm, worst case?) and they were rejected. Worse than that, the "built" dimensions are useless. Some minifigs have wings that extend beyond 20mm, but when disassembled, they do fit quite well under 20mm.

We need a real solution to this, and submitting missing exact assembled dimensions is not it.
  • I believe (2) is better than (1). They can still request a quote even with a shipping cost shown if you allow it. What is preventing any of the benefits you mention from being attained by showing the higher price? Are you going to package it a much larger parcel than necessary just because the system believes it needs a larger parcel? As far as (3) goes, any time I have entered a length, width, or height it has been updated within 24 hours. Some add/creates are trickier as the inventories are automated/updated/pulled in from various places. I would think it natural these would be a bit more of a problem, but that doesn't prevent any of the other items missing dimensions from getting updated. I would also suggest contacting Lawrence directly if you have specific questions or issues. He has always been quick to respond and address any issues I have had...and I have had a few. I have screwed up catalog updates, edits you name it....a quick email note to Lawrence and some hours passed I get a fix or a note letting me know he is looking into it.

If I want to order a figure and I can see a price from seller A and Seller B wants me to submit a quote request and wait to hear back from them, I am choosing Seller A everytime ....not everyone is like me, but I am pretty sure I am also not alone.
    Consider this scenario. Two sellers are selling a mini-figure for the same price. The list shows:

Seller (1) forces quote request
    Seller (2) shows postage cost $3.45

In this case you'd go for (2) but plenty of others will be tempted to check the postage price of (1).

Seller (1) shows postage cost $8.50
    Seller (2) shows postage cost $3.45

In this case most buyers would go straight for (2). Unless perhaps if they were looking to order multiple figures or add some parts/sets to their order, but even then they'd most likely visit (2)'s store first and would probably get no further.

As you can see forcing a quote request has to be preferable. Of course you might miss some impulse sales but if you let the list show a vastly over-estimated shipping price, that'll put almost all buyers off. At least forcing a quote request gets you some sales because curious buyers, or maybe just those who are used to checking out the postage prices on each store's BL splash page, will click through and see what the postage rate might be. I know this is the case because I've had quite a few orders where people are buying just a mini-figure or a mini-figure and a handful of parts, and all of them came via quote request. I probably would never have got these orders had I let the system list the wrong shipping price.

Of course, ideally I'd add the dimensions but as was pointed out by someone else above, I'm not willing to assemble the figures in order to take measurements as I would then consider these figures to be used. Also updating the catalogue is not a user-friendly experience so there's very little incentive for me to do this.

• Of course, ideally I'd add the dimensions but as was pointed out by someone else above, I'm not willing to assemble the figures in order to take measurements as I would then consider these figures to be used. Also updating the catalogue is not a user-friendly experience so there's very little incentive for me to do this.
    You admit here, this is an answer, but unwilling to take part in the solution. Instead you want someone to develop a new system to take care of everything for you. Is the system ideal? No, but it works if people put the info into it. I find editing the catalog a breeze and miles better than elsewhere.

Again, perhaps you only see the price as the only factor in purchasing something, many others do not. Convenience is king for many people.
  • Did you read the paragraph above about the Exo-Suit? It still isn't right after almost two weeks. And I don't want a new system to be developed, I want the existing default dimensions for mini-figures to be altered slightly. Talk about reading what you want to read...
  • Not to mention that I will not assemble figures just to measure them simply because this then prevents me from selling them as new.
  • Did you read my post above where I addressed your inventory issue? I think the same can be said of you......

If you do not want to contribute measurements to the catalog, don't complain about how it works imo. How else would one get the measurements without putting it together? You want buyers now to edit the catalog for sellers convenience since you will not assemble a figure to add valuable information to the catalog? If you can't stand occasionally putting a figure together to help contribute to the catalog/community, I don't know how else one would expect dimensions to ever get entered into the catalog. Perhaps my issues are minimal as I choose to direct them to the appropriate party instead of posting on the forum. Now that you have gone to attacking my reading comprehension when questions can be clearly raised about yours, I will leave this thread. Good luck to all!
  • Yeah, sorry but I do contribute many updates to the catalogue, just not in regard to minifigures. I wouldn't expect anybody to go out of their way and de-value their own inventory just to make things better for their competition, especially when a perfectly reasonable solution exists - adjust the default dimensions slightly.

It's not that I "can't stand putting a figure together" - it's that once I do that it loses about 30% of its value. Show me another retailer who would be willing to wipe 30% off their inventory just to secure a fraction more sales.
    pumbaugh Catalog Points Total: 228 (member for 1 year 1 month)
    Hoddie Catalog Points Total: 456 (member for 9 months 3 weeks)

I do my share. As such I think it's reasonable that I'm allowed to suggest improvements to the system we have to use. I'm sorry you don't agree. Could I do more? Of course, and I'd be much more inclined to do so if the process was more user-friendly.

As it stands right now, the catalogue becomes more out-dated the more that time passes. If people aren't keeping on top of it now - for whatever reasons, whether you agree with them or not - then the system clearly isn't working.
  • Absolute last comment, but I have and will assemble a figure again in the future for the sole purpose of adding data to the catalog. Where do you think all the data came from? Buyers assembling their figures and then entering the values? If I have ten figures that sell for 3$ each and I assemble one losing 1/3 his value to 2$, I know have 29$ worth of stock vs 30$. Nowhere near the 1/3 of my entire inventory being "wiped". Some sellers only think of their own issues and limitations, others think about the bigger picture and the value of a complete catalog's value to sellers. Apologies for responding again, promise will be my last in this thread.
    Did you stop to think that maybe not all sellers deal in volume? Why are you closing yourself off from a discussion? Over a perceived insult? For what it's worth I didn't question your reading comprehension ability, at least that wasn't my intention, I was simply trying to direct you to a post I'd made earlier in the thread where I believe I already provided the answer to the questions you later asked.

I'd also like to make the point that having assembled dimensions could lead to inaccurate shipping calculations because I'm sure most sellers don't send figures assembled. What we have is a situation where the defaults are far too big for 99.9% of figures, and where the accepted dimensions are too small for shipping calculations. Either way isn't ideal and someone above alluded to the fact that a compromise set of figures was declined.
  • This is getting far too personal.
This discussion has been closed.