Have you made any School Boy Errors since you started selling?

So I've made a few mistakes since I started selling. Like sending wrong parts and wrong colours, but all can be expected.
I've even overpacked an order to Singapore which put it into a different price bracket!

But the other day while in a hurry I wrote in my sisters wedding anniversary card while leaning on my order picking area. I then proceeded to pick several orders before realising that my hands and picking area were covered in glitter!! :-/
(No complaints yet)

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Tinkerbell was helping you fill orders... Guess this is telling what my daughter was watching recently.
  • ABSOLUTELY.

I may not have realized the significance of slight variations of colors (med stone gray/light gray, dark stone gray/dark gray and reddish brown/dark red) until I had to EAT my mistakes. It was on the 'other site' when I was just starting, but the pain is still with me.

I also missed a couple of counts, although the overs and unders averaged out ;) it was still embarrassing. My wife was found this experience especially useful since in my other life I am a math teacher. I have defaulted to double/triple checking my counts (and colors) before sealing the package. I still catch an occasional mistake. On large orders, I usually put in a small 'extras' bag to cover any goofs until I can resolve any problem specifically. So far, since my early blunders, I haven't heard back from anyone.
  • Considering the amount of parts we handle, I've just accept that it happens and don't beat myself up anymore. Aside from the learning curve with the colour variations, my biggest mistake has been losing a bag of nearly 100 bricks. I think I must have taken out what I needed for an order, and then instead of putting them away packed them. I never heard back from the buyer but I assume I'd done this as I have never found the missing bag
  • edited June 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    One of my best best...

-Part missing in order to Russia, buyer made another small order I gave them free postage on, I forgot to add the missing part to that and had to send a second free envelope the next day with the part alone.

Cool thing I find is most of the time on the really dense errors buyers show how awesome most people are.

Biggest wrong part

-EV3 brick sent to customer instead of EV3 battery

Customer says thank you I will buy both.

-Sent order to wrong customer completely

Calls me to let me know the error, how he is driving up north for the weekend from somewhere else in the province, compared it to my address and would be going past 10 min from my house if I want to meet up and get it.

• My mistakes are usually reading the number left in stock and not the number ordered , or missing an item altogether as it was out of synch with my storage system and I have forgot about it as I scroll down the order page , had 1 or 2 inventory gremlins also
  • my schoolboy error was letting my kids help with listing when it's school holidays. when my daughter was around 6ish a few years ago she insisted on sorting my 2x2 bricks into colours and counting them for me. Brilliant, i thought, i could get on with some other stuff and leave her to it. she then decided to name each brick and they then had to have a conversation with each other about not being scared to go in the drawer. 3 hours later 200 2x2s were finally listed, but to this day i am still not allowed to close the drawer on those pieces because it's dark in the drawer!!!
  • Haha Locker 47

Thanks for reminding me not to let my kids get involved.
    My daughter who's 3 is already a little OCD. I've caught her a couple of times sorting the items on shelves in shops because they're not in the right place!!
  • I don't make any (school-boy) errors...
    `
    `
    `
    `
    `
    … I make "premature senior moment" errors

That said actually the recovery from errors is what makes you "a good store" - I have made some very costly transatlantic errors - that then turn into repeat customers.

We have an auto repair shop here in Asheville that always puts up interesting things on their sign.

At the moment it reads “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards”

G