Good news!?! I had to close my "other" store because of success on BO.

edited May 2014 in Brick Owl Vote Up14Vote Down
I had planned to keep both open for a while, but I have had SO much success (and general happiness) on BrickOwl that I have pulled the plug on my BL site. For the meager sales I was getting over there, the attempt to sync was much more trouble than it was worth.

A couple of things (beside sales) made this an easy decision.

First, the general constructive (pun intended) attitude shown by the members in the forum discussions. There seems to be a genuine intention to build something here AND to help others along the way. (My wife has lost all patience for my lego-related puns.)

Second, the admin is incredible. He seems to be a very talented designer and programmer. He also is very diplomatic and effective in dealing with a large group of members with ideas and suggestions. Again, I see very few complaints here versus the heavy dose of complaints on the other site's discussion boards. Lawrence, I appreciate what you are doing and wish you great success.

In fact, good luck to us all. (Pun suppressed.)

Paul

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Congrats Paul (and thanks for the puns, lol)!
  • I'm about to do the same. I am new to selling. I've have the same inventory listed on both sites. My sales here are 97% higher than the competition. I've tried different sales, raising and lowering prices, right now I have everything over there set at 6 mo max just because I was too lazy to delete my inventory there. They have promised an update for too long and it's just not worth it anymore. The new owners of that site are only going to ruin that community with the poor decisions and drama they have going on in their backend.

Thanks to the admin here for a wonderful site.

• I am also thinking about leaving the other site forever.
    After my reloctation, I only openend my store here and kept the other one closed.
    My sales are actually not good as on the other site, because of a different and smaller inventory.

I really like this site and Lawrence does a great job!
  • I do agree - there is quite a bit of business on this site - great job Lawrence!

For the first time ever I've even made it into the 'Popular Stores'! :-O
  • I do agree - there is quite a bit of business on this site - great job Lawrence!

For the first time ever I've even made it into the 'Popular Stores'! :-O
    I had more sales here than in other site as it often quiet. I had made it to 4th ranking knocking off brickshop to 5th for a long while until I closed my store at weekends which my ranking drop down slowly. Aslo summer coming and want to do things outside plus going to car boot sales which I think I brought up to 50000 so far this year and all are now sorted and stored in my dad's attic. They will be add it my inventory after my coming June vacation. It closed until July so I expect my ranking to drop further. Cannot go to 3rd as those 3 are powerful sellers.

So well done to this site.
  • What took you so long?!! ;)

… only kidding…

agree with all your statements, BrickOwl has a more user friendly experience for the customer which likely counts for much of the success (as well as a less "angry" forum) - also whilst it may be a little difficult searching inventory from a stores perspective - for the customer its easy.

• I'm not trying to derail the joy of this thread or anything but, I don't see how you can say that syncing up on both sites is more trouble than it's worth. I get far more sales in quantity on this site, but I still get the larger orders on the other site. It's a pain to sync them up and there is a learning curve I'll give you that, but it's so worth it.
  • The growth of a store is proportional to how much time is put in by people.

I run everything by myself and only have so many hours to do so in any given week. From experience I can only process about 120 orders of the size I receive (while maintaining inventory levels) in a month without going crazy or putting in more time than I should to maintain the family life I want.

I could contract this or that out, get an employee, but for a few reasons that is not on the radar for me now.

All that background to say I would be past my limits to sync on both sites now, and can sell more in less time here.

My store there I have a clean slate to tailor something to it's strengths that fits with my time.

There in no one answer for everybody is my real point.

Joe
  • I closed my Other store today and programmed my external website to direct traffic to Brick Owl. The other place did less than $90 for the whole month. So sad and not worth the effort to maintain the inventory on their site.
    Melissa
  • all above statements are true but do not forget the api <3 now it's possible to communicate with you inventory software without the hazzle !