PayPal thief (davidizaguirre) ripped me off..

Please don't turn this into a thread that gets closed :-

I know some others got scammed too :-

user "davidizaguirre" (user now has limited access) filed a chargeback after marking order received AND leaving feedback, I supplied tracking info and everything else required by PayPal.

PayPal found in MY favor and removed the hold..
2 weeks later "Update to reversal" - money removed(stolen)

No indication why.

I plan on sending this thief an email, and to those that also got ripped why not do the same? (the email shows on transaction detail page)

Graham

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Perhaps you could file a police report with the City of Houston as per the previous thread (which I can't find). You might also consider filing an Internet Crime complaint with ic3: http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx.

Sending an email direct to the thief won't deter him much.

As far as I know, Paypal is still duking it out with the credit card company.

Brian
  • Also, I just checked my Paypal disputes and it appears they closed the case, did NOT remove funds from my account, but did charge me a chargeback fee equal to about 29% of the original transaction.

Does that mean Paypal sided with the sellers?
  • It was closed in my case as well and funds given back to me ($8), but they never charged me a chargeback fee. Seems odd
  • Thanks Brian - OK I'm going to follow thru too - I admit I wasn't as it was $10 + change - however a crime is a crime regardless of amount - I also read Thor's input on that thread.

What I don't get is why PayPal are acting differently? I shipped to the PayPal address provided, however looking at it again I notice the address is unconfirmed and unverified - which is why PayPal state I didn't meet their requirements for seller protection.

I guess i'll have to make a (dreaded) call to PayPal as well

Graham
  • If PayPal are willing to provide financial services to someone without first confirming their address, they're the ones who should take the risk in my opinion. Unfortunately legislation is lagging far behind when it comes to online payments.
  • What I don't get is why PayPal are acting differently? I shipped to the PayPal address provided, however looking at it again I notice the address is unconfirmed and unverified - which is why PayPal state I didn't meet their requirements for seller protection.

I guess i'll have to make a (dreaded) call to PayPal as well

Graham
    Buyer is not making a claim for goods not received, buyer is making a claim for unauthorized use of a credit card. I first shipped to the Paypal address and I have a tracking number that says "not deliverable as addressed". It came back to me and I sent a second time to the correct address. Nonetheless, buyer does not deny that he received the package.

Good luck,

Brian
  • If PayPal are willing to provide financial services to someone without first confirming their address, they're the ones who should take the risk in my opinion. Unfortunately legislation is lagging far behind when it comes to online payments.
    "Should" is certainly correct - as to how a financial organization this big avoids any kind of scrutiny let alone legislation/regulation is beyond me - and we thought "banksters" were rogues!...
  • They're not a bank. They are a glorified credit card service provider.
  • Well I had a very welcome surprise this morning - the customer contacted me (and offerred to pay)

I have asked him to visit the forum to offer explanation so I will leave it there for now.

I will add that in my opinion the customer is honest - and the explanation explains why some were charged back and others not.

Graham
  • I'm willing to concede honesty unless we find out Houston Police made a visit or two. ;-)

Brian
  • Just got an email from him as well
  • Ditto. Pondering how to proceed.

Brian
  • Did he tell you he would pay you back??
  • Yes. I told him I would have to wait for the Paypal dispute decision and Houston police investigation. Oh, and by the way, what is his real name since David Izaguirre on N. Estelle St. appears to be a 90 something year old man according to public records.

Brian
  • He offered to make payment - as I **thought** it sounded genuine, I told him not to worry about it ($10) - to wit he thanked me.

In light of what Brian has discovered - I again have my doubts.

However having been thru ID theft twice (Visa customer service in India/Pakistan - compiled lists of "good" targets with good ratings and sold them to crooks!) - I kinda know what it's like.

The stolen C Card with friends PPal account makes sense and why some sales went thru and others didn't.

The customer may be a minor with the same name - otherwise it's a scam.

In any event it's a lesson learned, and I shall certainly be keeping a close eye on the verified/confirmed status with new customers, and be thankful it's the first time!

I had suggested Admin adding some kind of warning flag at top of order page if there are any anomalies and also including funding method as well as "Seller Protection" status in the Payment box - I don't believe my suggestion went anywhere.

As times get harder, I feel it prudent to be more diligent and careful, Graham