Please consider retrospectively revising Feedback Boost

My personal view on the feedback boost is that although it is a good idea it should have been capped at a low but sufficiently high enough number to provide buyer confidence but not introduce such a large distortion; that is the very large 'feedback gap' between those who received the largest boosts and those at the bottom.

In other words, a +100 feedback sufficiently shows that you are trustworthy seller but if you have a +5000 feedback thanks to 10 years on BL or EB then it can only provide an unfair advantage on BO over those stores starting with a significantly lower feedback.

Who are we trying to reward here? The customer with better informed choices or stores that were established on other marketplaces many years ago?

Would you buy from a store with 0 feedback when you see another with the same item, maybe a tad more expensive, but no doubt safer as it has a +5000 feedback? We might choose the 0 feedback store because we know how this 'store boost' was implemented but we of course are primarily sellers and not buyers.

I understand that Admin may want to give new buyers the impression that 10,000s of sales have occurred on BO through transferring of feedback from other marketplaces. Although I can see the logic with this move I think it should be reviewed (and hopefully retrospectively 'corrected') in the short-to-medium term.

I am quite happy with the work being done by Admin and the nature and format of providing incremental improvements as time goes by. It is after-all a learning curve for all.

As a side note, having a low boost cap that by definition is standard enables all to make proper comparisons at how well stores are doing on BO and introduces some credibility and meaningfulness to the BO numbers shown.

Comments

• 37 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I agree but it's probably a little late to start removing thousands of feedback scores.

As for the cap, I think diminishing returns would have worked well. Let's say, a boost equal to the square root of the external feedback (or, less harshly, x^0.7 or so).
  • I agree that at one point in time the boosts should simply be removed and it would level things a little bit. However it is too soon IMHO. This site is still pretty new (allthough getting close to 1 year), and it is in the buyers advantage to see sellers with higher feedback scores to make them confident in their transaction. Once they are confident, they will buy from sellers with lower scores, it think BL is the perfect example for that, any low feedbacker can start selling and make their way up the ladder in FB scores. I started selling just over 5 years ago on BL (with FB 2) and now I'm getting closer to the top 500 feedbackers (not that bad considering the number op people) there. For BO I used my Ebay score, it was more then enough. But after nearly 250 transactions on BO (in 7 months), my extra FB is only 108, so buyers leaving feedback is quite on the low end... In about a year it will probably be close to 250 (wild estimation based on number of transactions), I would consider that a more reasonable score for myself and won't hasistate to request the boost to be removed. I think 2 years (after starting date) would be a good time to remove all boosts, as by that time things will have grown enough to get rid of the boosts. That is my personal opinion, but I hope Admin will have a similar opinion on such, because indeed right now it ain't quite fair for the people who started later on...
    But remember in the mean while: good prices and decent inventory will give you the orders to build FB ;)
  • edited May 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I also see the boost with mixed feelings. It is a very nice incentive to sellers to risk moving to a relatively new venue without completely loosing the reputation built on other sites.

I like the idea about the about removing the boost at some point in time. RobErNat, I'm not sure if you were meaning to remove all boosts after BO has been up for two years OR that an individual's boost be removed after two years on BO.
    I think 2 years (after starting date) would be a good time to remove all boosts, as by that time things will have grown enough to get rid of the boosts.
    I would suggest a Solomon-like approach of giving the boost (for two years or so), but displaying a symbol next to the FB that indicates the boost. (Maybe this could be shown with an * which is used in some record books to show that the accomplishment is not exactly like that of others in the list.) A successful seller might well choose to forgo the boost, especially after the initial assistance, to remove the 'assisted' tag. Once I build a decent FB number on BO, I would certainly rather be judged on that alone rather than the boost.

• A personal request for removal of boost will always be granted I assume.
    And I did mean the removal of boosts for **all** people after 2 years, but that last thing is something to be considered by Admin.
  • I also like the idea of removing the feedback boost for all members at some point in time.
  • I think you are overstating the importance, with the way the site operates, most buyers will have used wish list and or been referred by RB or WoB or BS.

Then the instant checkout gets rid of the doubts elsewhere (i.e. all the hidden fees), the only things from a buyers perspective will be "did I get what I paid for in a timely manor" and the absence of feedback left by the customer is actually a sign that they were "satisfied"

I don't mind either way however if someone is looking at your feedback they can see the "boost" clearly.

The advantage here goes to sellers with large number of lots and reasonable prices - NOT popularity OR feedback # - I think it would be better to remove (or re-name) the "popular stores" list rather than worry about the FB boost personally.

A more important measure of a good seller is % positive (like eBay)

Graham
  • I think the 'popular stores' list is based on either number of transactions, either based on fees paid to this site, and has nothing to do with past feedback boosts. Those people who are on the list are really doing the bigger number of transactions (or paying the larger number of fees). So this is not relevant to the 'boost' thing I think.
    And feedback IS relevant, maybe not for some buyers, but I have lived a progressive growth the past 5 years on BL and it is clear to me FB **does** play a role, the more you have, the easier orders roll in, even if prices are a little higher. At every extra few hundred FB's, I felt it was simply easier to sell things and get more orders without even list that much more. Proof is that the past 8 or 9 months I hardly added 20.000 parts, yet I have sold over 35.000 (BO/BL combined), so my shop is drying out (from my point of view), yet orders kept rolling in (except this week maybe LOL). FB contributes to 'buyers feeling confident', imagine all shops would have started at FB 0 here, BO would have had a difficult start IMHO.
  • As a new seller who started in July 13 I was a little put off by starting at 0 when lots of sellers had boosted feedback in the 1000's I didn't think I'd stand much chance.

With stock of under 10000 I only had a couple of sales in 2013, things picked up in January (10 orders) so I kept adding and investing.

Now in May with 50000+ stock and feedback of just over 100 I've made it into the Popular stores list. I didn't think I'd come close to making that list in my first year!

I'm now wondering how important feedback really is?
    There's 3 or 4 stores in the Popular list with feedback under 500

• I believe feedback makes a huge difference when it's low, though I don't think there's much difference above 500 or so.

I started at zero on BrickOwl (and it's too late to ask for a boost since I already have BO feedback), and orders are markedly smaller than expected. People are cautious with low feedback. I have had several orders in the 3 digits on a different marketplace, not a single one on BrickOwl.
  • Yep, very true, but what if all sellers here started with zero? Would new sellers like you have a chance?
    Maybe not, because if all sellers would have started on zero, maybe the site woudn't have taken off the way it did now. Because buyers might have taken the wrong descisions and buy from the wrong seller and be scared way.
    What buyers 'needed' was confidence in the site, the sellers who started out here 'early' (with FB boosts) helped to do that by having their 'past' experiance visualised to potential buyers. I truly believe without that, the site would have had a much harder start. Once the confidence was there for the buyers, it's obvious it is less problematic to buy from a low feedbacker, because in the mean while, they trust 'the site', but that trust has been build by the sellers, with the experiance and showing so by FB numbers...

Best proof is that things picked up for you in january, 6 months after the start of this website, because in those six months fresh buyers have explored this site and got their confidence build up, so yes, a seller with good intentions like yourself grew a little in those early months, but now is 'rocking' because you proved yourself in the mean while...
    And that is exactly the point of that FB boost Admin implemented in the first place... It opened paths to be walked on by others, a path opened by some established sellers :)

I'm glad you're doing well, and a few other newer shops as well, as it only confirms this site is growing and this will bring new buyers to the site and generate more orders for all shops around, so we all need to be happy about that.

But make no mistake, FB wil always be looked at by a number of buyers, the more you have the easier it will go for you. Mark my words and remember them when you have reached 500 FB's, it makes a huge difference ;-)

• Well I've put my money where my mouth is ... I just asked admin to remove my feedback boost.

I concur with what others have said before: it's only partially the feedback number that gets you orders. The most important thing is a wide variety of bricks, a sufficient number of bricks, good prices but most importantly: good service, customer communication and prompt handling/shipping.

So I'm quite confident this change in my feedback number won't affect my future orders.
  • Hi Bart, well done for starting the precedent, and since you already reached a nice feedback score, I'm sure indeed it won't make the slightest difference for you :)
  • In the above thread, I mentioned that I would ask to have my boost removed when I'd reach 250 'Brickowl' feedbacks, back then, in may 2014 I estimated it would be a year later considering the number of transactions, we are 10 months later and the point has been reached, it only prooves this site is growing and the number of orders that comes along with it just as well. So today is the day I need to keep the above promise :-)

@Lawrence
    Please remove my 'boost' feedbacks, thanks in advance !
  • Hi, I just start on Brickowl and got my first feedback. But now I see some shops got more then 4000 with some feedbackboost? I got also a shop on bricklink over ten years now. I seems a little unfar to see the feedbackboost with some shops. Because now with my first feedback, I can't claim feedbackboost anymore?! I think.. or everyone gets a feedbackboost or none.

• @Wereldstenen
    Those are the rules, once you get a first feedback, boost is no longer possible...
    Personally I think it's no longer needed to have boosts btw, the site has been running for nearly 2 years now, a lot of sellers with 'boosts' did a good job to build confidence to buyers, and those same sellers have build up nice FB scores in the mean while...And the site has also proven what's it worthed at the same time.
    So if you do a good job, then there is no reason to have a boosts at this point. In regards to sellers who had boosts in the past, I think anyone should put in a goal or a target and have the boost removed once the target is reached, and as stated earlier in this thread, a full removal of all boosts should be considered by Admin in the long run (IMHO) to have all sellers play at the same level. But that is his decision and at his discretion, just in the same way as it his discretion to have set the rules regarding FB boosts in the first place ;-)
  • I notice a boost mistake been taken place on Cora Creations store as she got 3000 FB here before she closed it while in BL was around 700 that time. I got 300 boost when I first started here and around over 300 in BL that time.
  • edited April 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Jiries
    Cora Creations feedback boost was afaik not the 'BL' score, but the 'Ebay' score (if I remember well)
    My boost was my Ebay score as well (well, 1 of 2 Ebay accounts actually, the other one has more): 500, while on BL I had about 1800, I saw no need whatsoever to 'import' 1800 FB's, 500 was just fine to get started :P
    FB boost where always 'rounded' to the 'hundred' lower FB, so 320 or 365 or 398 are always rounded towards 300.
  • Some people received boosts from other marketplaces such as eBay.

The rule that says it's too late for the boost once you have received your first BrickOwl feedback doesn't make much sense to me either... I have also been caught by this.

I'm not against the concept of recognizing external feedback, but it really shouldn't be worth as much as true BrickOwl feedback. It's also problematic because only about 30% of BrickOwl customers leave feedback.
  • @Stragus
    Do you really think it makes a difference whether you had a boost or not?
    You say 30% leave feedback, so you had roughly 460 orders so far? I wouldn't call that bad, particulary since you opened your store here about 1 year ago. As far as I can tell, that's better then you did on BL during that same period, so is the 'non' import of FB 'hurting' you, I don't think so ;-)

If buyers 'lack' giving feedback, then it most likely means they don't care for it, so why would they care about you only having 138 feedbacks and another one having 6800 FB's when placing their order ?
    They just want the LEGO they are looking for...
    And the 70% who are not leaving FB: well, as long as they don't contact you for an issue, or don't give you a neutral or negative, they have to be considered 'happy buyers' just as well, together with the 30% that does leave FB ;-)
  • edited April 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Do you really think it makes a difference whether you had a boost or not?
    Yes, it makes a difference. It gives confidence to customers, you don't receive many 3 digits orders when your feedback score has a single digit!
    You say 30% leave feedback, so you had roughly 460 orders so far? I wouldn't call that bad, particulary since you opened your store here about 1 year ago. As far as I can tell, that's better then you did on BL during that same period, so is the 'non' import of FB 'hurting' you, I don't think so ;-)
    485 orders in 11 months, but we are doing better on BrickOwl because it's a superior marketplace, not because we have less feedback. :p

Personally, I don't think the feedback score matters much once it's above 100. But having to start from zero just because one forgot to claim a boost before testing the marketplace (like, placing an order) is a strange rule.
  • @Stragus
    Hundreds of sellers started with FB Zero on other marketplaces and they managed to grow their store regardless of it.
    Briwkowl, 'as a site' would have had a tougher start if we all started with FB 0, so the import of FB's was a good move to build buyers confidence. Now the site has thousands of buyers and sellers who builded up FB on BO and so now the confidence in both site and sellers is good enough to actually consider to simply stop boosts and/or remove them for all people (IMO).

The downside of boosts is that any seller with an accumulated amount of many neutrals and negatives on other marketplaces, but who's total amount of FB is largely positive, get a start clean start on BO, if *only* their Positives are imported, then BO would actually 'mask' the reality, and from a buyers perspective that wouldn't be fair at all... and far worse then having to start at 0 right now IMHO.

Remember the Ckolodny case, over a hundred neutrals and negatives on BL, but his overal FB score was still around 300 positives, imagine he would have been allowed to only import his positives here on BO. The result would have been catastrophic for buyers here.

• Boosts don't only take into account positive feedback.
  • @Lawrence
    I'd like to define that statement (sorry).
    The boost is just a number, a rounded number, therefor it skips off negatives and neutrals.
    As far as I know it doesn't influence the % a seller has (or does it?)
    And the 'imported' FB 'statement's are not displayed either.

Unless you can point out to a seller who has a non 100% positive feedback, but who got 100% positives on BO so far.

e.g. Seller johnsma (and it's really a random example, I could have picked any) did have neutrals and negatives yet 2600 FB's where imported:
    johnsma2000 has received a feedback boost of 2,600 based on their feedback performance on other marketplaces.
    It does not say: of which 3 where neutral and 4 where negative (and those 7 where from prior to the start of BO)

The percentage here on BO for that seller is a well deserved 100%, but among those 2600 imported FB's there where neutrals and negatives, the total was more then 2600 when the import took place, but some of the neutrals and negatives where received during the build up of those 2600 FB's, so those have not been in taken in consideration in any way or displayed in any way, so from my point of view only 'positives' where taken in consideration to do boosts.

I'm sure I can find another few dozen examples like that, so prove me wrong on the contrary by pointing out to a seller who's boosts are displaying 'less' favorable allthough he/she would have a perfect BO record.

At your descretion I'm sure you would refuse to import a FB score if the seller has too many negatives or neutrals, that is your perogative offcourse, but from my point of view, boosts, *if* imported do not include neutrals or negatives, as it's just a rounded number, without any background (not even the site it came from).

Eric

• @RobErNat I never said I was against the feedback boost. :) I only said that the boost being restricted to zero feedback accounts is a strange rule. It's very easy to receive a few feedbacks while testing the marketplace, and then the opportunity for a feedback boost has passed forever.
  • @Robernat you're correct, non positive feedback is noted in the boost system, but it is only reflected in the eventual score, not the percentage. I've decided not to retrospectively change this, but instead put a time limit on boosts.
  • change feedback to number of orders a store has received
  • Yes, please reflect the total number of orders a store has received.
  • I would like to see:

orders: yyy
    average shipping time: d days
  • I too like the idea of showing the number orders received and processed. This would be nice to have customers see in addition to the feedback.

I don't think it is possible to have an average shipping time displayed since many customers request orders be held open so they can add to an existing order (Skews the ship time) I think this was a topic sometime back and Lawrence said it had too many variables.
  • I'm curious why people think the number of orders matters? Also, if this is displayed alongside feedback, wouldn't it possibly discourage people from buying? 200 orders but only 70 customers bothered to leave feedback?
  • ^ I have received 61 BO feedback for 334 orders. I think that rate of FB completion (<20%) is typical here.

Let's assume that everyone who has a negative experience will leave a negative FB. There are reasons this is a good assumption, but I'll try to stay on topic.

People (or at least me) look for negative FB. That number of negative FB needs to be normalized to draw a meaningful conclusion. So I can compare to a firm number, like total orders processed, or to a fuzzy number, like number of orders processed for which customers chose to leave FB.
  • I agree with showing the count of orders somewhere, just the feedback isn't representative of the activity level of BrickOwl sellers.
  • I agree with Hoddie and goshe7, im affraid the diffirence in orders received and received FB is to far off, wich can cause a negative feeling from a buyers pov. On the other hand, why do i now sit on the buyers chair...... i dont really know what they think :)
  • On the other hand, why do i now sit on the buyers chair...... i dont really know what they think :)
    I'm a buyer! :p ( @BrickFeverParts, I just placed an order with you two hours ago and I think you should review the text for payment methods, the part about sending an invoice doesn't make sense on BrickOwl)

Back on topic; with such a low percentage of customers leaving feedback, all sellers and the whole marketplace appear far less active than they actually are. That's bad for many reasons, for customers and new potential sellers. Just showing the raw count of orders somewhere would make a difference.
  • @Stragus OOPS, probably copy/paste from somewhere, will fix that asap, thanks! :)

I already forgot about your order, has been shipped ages ago :P
  • @Lawrence
    Thanks for reviewing the boosts system, in the long run it will give a better reflection on how sellers are doing and it will level more between the 'very active' sellers here who actually are building up their score here and a few less active sellers who have way more FB's because they where 'imported'.

Does the change you made started it's count on april 13th 2015 for all sellers? Does this mean that on april 13th 2016 all sellers who started earlier on on BO will have their boost removed? Just asking as I still see many of the earlier stores carrying their boost.

@polarbomber
    @khle
    Personally I consider 'number of orders' received 'personal' information and I'm therefor entirely opposed to displaying such. It is of no-ones business to know how many orders a seller has received of the course of years (and besides, a system like that would allow anyone to start making statistics on the total amount of orders are being processed on the site as a whole).

True, the number of FB's received from buyers might be on the low end, but it's like that (apparently) for all sellers, so why worry about it? All sellers are playing on the same grounds, so quite fair... The site has been running only for less then 2 years, so it's only natural sellers only have FB's in the hundreds, in the long run, 5 or 10 years from now, some will be in the thousands, it's a natural flow. And maybe by then the buyers will be more familiar with the FB system and so numbers received might even rise more.