Feedback Question

I'm curious about what percentage of customers are leaving feedback. Any seller who is willing, please reply with how many of your customers are leaving feedback for you Thanks...

Comments

• 26 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @lotsofbricks of my 13 sales, I received 3 feedback, all positive. Each order I ship includes a hand written thank you for your purchase note.
  • Right now it is at 33%.
    I also include a thank you note telling them that I have left positive feedback and would appreciate feedback in return.
    Katie
  • 51 sales, 13 feedback. I'm not especially bothered to be honest, the only thing it does is show that you're an active store really.
  • According to the system I've had 168 orders to date and received 36 feedback, though I think three of those were me as a buyer. So it looks like 33/168 = 19.6%. Katie, you're apparently rockin' it. I don't include a thank you note if that helps your survey. I also leave feedback in bi-weekly batches, more or less.

Brian
  • ~20%

no reminders or incentives given, my feedback left when shipped.
  • 40% - according to the system I had 438 orders and received 176 feedback (but the last 10 buyers can't have received their order yet).
    I leave feedback immediately when the order is paid. And most orders contain a letter where I ask to mark the order as received and say that I would appreciate if they find a moment to leave feedback.
    Renate
  • Thanks for the replies. Knowing this will help me to estimate how successful (hopefully) I might be as a seller. I've been looking at the feedback of a lot of sellers and I'll be able to get an idea of how many orders they're receiving.
  • 36% for me.
    I tend to leave feedback in bulk once a month. Haven't asked for feedback for a while now.
  • 37% for me.
    I've stopped giving feedback to my buyers as there is not much to say anyway. They immediately paid when placing their order. Instead of saying thank you in feedback I prefer to handle their order with care and make sure it gets to them safe and in a speedy fashion. This approach seems to work: I have lots and lots of returning buyers.
  • 35% if I exclude orders which couldn't have arrived yet.
    Hellmouth, I think leaving feedback for buyers is still a good idea. If nothing else, it gives an idea to other sellers if the buyer is totally new (and might therefore require guidance), or if he's an experienced buyer.
  • ... it gives an idea to other sellers if the buyer is totally new (and might therefore require guidance), or if he's an experienced buyer.
    Yes, good idea. I forgot about that :)

• I would suggest not leaving feedback until a few weeks after the order has been sent, just in case there's problems.
  • The way I see it, if a problem happens after a few weeks I can remove the feedback and report the issues.

I ran this through my time=$ calculator and liked the speed of assuming the best.

• @Markyd7 Bulk once a month works on the speed factor, new honest buyers have "experience" sooner the "assuming the best" direction in the comment.

No worries either way, I never used to leave feedback early, I've just currently rationalized in this direction.

Side note: I did not factor in packages in route or combined shipping orders to my percentage, somewhat higher doing this.
  • Thanks for the replies. Knowing this will help me to estimate how successful (hopefully) I might be as a seller. I've been looking at the feedback of a lot of sellers and I'll be able to get an idea of how many orders they're receiving.
    Thanks for asking the question @lotsofbricks. I'm new to BO, although still migrating from the other guys, and I am also reassured by the responses you got.

(This is meant as a positive observation.) My sales have been slow in materializing, and I had begun to worry that I had left a reliable, although not exhilarating sales venue, to come to a new, eager, but fairly lonesome startup. The sales have started and now are about equal to the results on BL. ALSO, with the response on the percentage of feedback/sales, it is easy to back into reassuring sales numbers for many of the mid- to large-sellers.

Summary analysis: BrickOwl is REAL and worthy of consideration as an alternative selling venue.

I make the assumption that MORE sellers ==> (eventually) MORE buyers. Therefore, I am encouraged by the new sellers who choose to sign up.

Before jumping, I read most of the forum posts. I will admit that the lack of self-promotion and claims of success, etc, slowed my decision. I suspect that more sellers might join with a little more evidence of success (e.g., short personal stories of success, hints on how to successfully migrate with minimal pain, generalized reports on 'typical' sales expectations, etc).

I'm very curious how others made the decision to "jump" or at least to co-exist on both sites.

• edited May 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Before jumping, I read most of the forum posts. I will admit that the lack of self-promotion and claims of success, etc, slowed my decision. I suspect that more sellers might join with a little more evidence of success (e.g., short personal stories of success, hints on how to successfully migrate with minimal pain, generalized reports on 'typical' sales expectations, etc).
    As a "small" seller (80k parts) present on both marketplaces with the same inventory, I think BrickOwl is doing quite well. I agree BrickOwl could use a little more publicity (and more of a community in the forum?). The admin has been very quiet but he has delivered, I think the publicity should come from us, the users.

I'll be doing my part to help shortly... (synchronization software now standing at over 10000 lines of code, writing everything from scratch in raw C takes longer but it seemed more fun somehow :p )
  • 36%, not including pending and just shipped orders.

Comparing to BL, I get 5 times more orders here in the same period.
    Average order value is similar on both sides.

Isabel
  • Since opening day (september 29th) 248 orders, 102 FB's from buyers, so 41%
    on BL it turns around 85%.
    I do add a note in each order (nicely explaining about FB) and also run a customers loyalty program, reason maybe I'm a little over average %-wise
  • Around 30% FB on my sales. Seems to be the normal average here.
  • Stragus said:

... it gives an idea to other sellers if the buyer is totally new (and might therefore require guidance), or if he's an experienced buyer.

It's not just only that, it is also 'showing' the new buyers how it works by a leaving feedback: they will see their own number grow and realise there is a feedback system. As usual there is always a % of buyers that will never leave feedback, but the others can be 'learned' along the way. The small buyers now can become the bigger ones and so it is in everyones advantage to leave feedback, even if one doesn't get one in return.
    It will take some time (and maybe a little approvement from Admins side), but % will grow over time I think.

I agree we also need to be a bit more of a community around here, to be honest I have read many posts the past few months, but didn't particulary go into getting 'in' the threads. The past week I've been trying to do that a little more, and I think it is in the advantage of the site we all do so.
    The growth of BO depends on it, buyers will come to the forum to seek information or help, but if there is no one around with aquick answer that won't do any good.

As a sidenote: From my point of view, and the comments made by others in this thread, things are running quite well, and what we need to concentrate on it to help buyers find the things they are looking for. One major issue is the lack of images on older items, from what I can tell Admin is doing huge efforts to keep the catalog up to date with new items, but the site needs help on all the 'missing pictures' and descriptions. And that help needs to be provided by the sellers, remember your future sales will depend on it.
    A number of people (including myself) are doing efforts to do this (and I can tell it helps, as I recently sold some Fabuland items and Belville items here after putting in some pictures or after others had put in pictures). It means there is the same potential market as on BL, and buyers also searching for those older items and not just the new 'hot' items. But it simply can't be done by a handfull of people and others sitting on their chairs and do nothing... If we want this site to grow it requires **everybody's** effort into doing so, partculary from the sellers. Bl has a nice database, but it has been build by hundreds of contributors, not just by 10 or 15...
    Admin is offently busy with 'site' issues and is also taking care of approvals and adding new things in catalog, so bugging him all the time won't be of much help to that. I'm offering full support to anyone who has questions about items, adding pictures (and editing them) and guidelines (as much as I have figured out so far offcourse LOL), so welcome to PM anytime ;)

Eric
  • edited May 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    One major issue is the lack of images on older items, from what I can tell Admin is doing huge efforts to keep the catalog up to date with new items, but the site needs help on all the 'missing pictures' and descriptions. And that help needs to be provided by the sellers, remember your future sales will depend on it. [...snip...] But it simply can't be done by a handfull of people and others sitting on their chairs and do nothing... If we want this site to grow it requires **everybody's** effort into doing so, partculary from the sellers.
    That's easier said than done. I have taken photos of some of the most useless Lego parts around ( http://www.brickowl.com/search/catalog?query=93080 ), but most people don't have Fabuland or Belville parts at hand to take pictures of them :).
  • There is no such thing as a useless LEGO part. It might be useless for you, but that doesn't mean it's useless for buyers around the world, and you only need a few to get rid off your items.
    I recently added some Scala pictures, I don't collect it, but I don't mind buying them when I get the chance, because I know somewhere there is someone who needs some of it. Once the pictures where in, I added the parts (mainly clothes and such) to my inventory here and on BL and not half a day later one sold (on BL however), so there is a potential for each and every part.
    Fabuland and Belville where a random example because I recently added a few pictures and so did Renate. And it lead to BO orders (in my case). But it works for all things you know, printed and stickered items, heads, torsos, minifigs etc. There is still a huge bunch missing and people do have it in their inventory (I can tell when I add pictures), but apparently they are not being bothered by it and simply await when someone else adds a picture :-(
    People who downloaded their inventory can easely match parts from their BL inventory and their BO store data, so it's quite easy to fill some gaps and add a picture (even if it's not a very good one). And people who are good with descriptions also could simply add some, while browsing the catalog. And there is a lot of other data that needs to be added or checked, like sizes (a lot of 'real' sizes are not correct due to the simplistic conversion from bricksize to metric sizes) and weights as well.
    So a huge job, but it can't be done by a few... because the few don't 'have' it all and because they also have other occupations (like filling orders or adding to the store). The more people who spend time (and it doesn't need to be much) adding data, the faster it will grow for all of us...
  • @RobErNat Couldn't agree with you more! Although I am a small store, I've made it my goal to have no items in my store that are missing images, weights, themes, or not included in an inventory. Outside of my small store, I've been trying to tackle the minifigures who are missing a theme.

At the end of the day, the database and sales will only be what we put into it :)

**Side note to Admin, would it be possible to add a change log to the Catalog for people to see updates as they flow through? Thanks!