Help with Shipping Bands

US Sellers: How do you have your Priority Mail bands set up?

I've had a couple orders now that I have overcharged on shipping by a few dollars and had to issue a partial refund. I checked the DMM Notice, and it looks like I just set up the method for the highest zone. That covers my cost, but is probably off-putting to buyers looking at inflated shipping cost in their shopping cart.

So how can I set up Priority Mail rates accurately without risking undercharging for shipping?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's the same problem up here in Canada, we can't set per-province (or per-state) shipping methods, so we end up having to charge the same to everyone.

I'm sure that feature is on Admin's to-do list somewhere... :)
  • I do the same as you are doing now. Even with the volumetri-sizer thingy, it still can't tell me if your order would fit well into a flat rate bubble mailer. Chances are it will, but I don't know for sure until I pack it. Then I can refund all but $5.70 of your shipping charge.

From some of the orders I've received, people either don't care or aren't paying attention to the shipping charges. I had a $4.04 int'l order that was charged $6.16 for shipping. But I was able to send as an international flat and refund over $3 of shipping.

Maybe someday if a USPS API interface gets setup, that automagical shipping charge could base itself on the distance properly. Even then with the flat rate mailers, costs could go down.

Brian