Buyer Address Discrepancies

edited May 2014 in Brick Owl Vote Up0Vote Down
I notice my order details page on BO includes the buyer's "billing address" as well as their "shipping address". Most of the time these addresses are the same. However, sometimes they are not. And sometimes the PayPal address is completely different.

My questions:

1. Why provide two addresses? What is the difference between the billing and shipping address? Is one provided when the buyer signs up to BO and the other the buyer's PayPal address? If so, which is which? And if one address is supposed to be the PayPal address, how can I get a PayPal payment with a completely different address than both?

2. On the other site, when faced with address discrepancies like this, I delay shipping and message the buyer asking them to clarify the proper address (while emphasizing that PayPal wants me to ship to their PayPal address). Here, when the billing and shipping addresses do not match, it seems more intuitive that you ship to the shipping address and not to the billing address. However, I wonder if buyers are aware of this? And can it just be assumed that their order should ship to the shipping address and not the billing address?

Personally, I would like BO to do more to let buyers know that when these addresses do not match, sellers will ship to the shipping (PayPal?) address and not the billing address. Since I can't really say this in my store terms (since store terms here don't seem to matter), I think BO needs to do more to clarify this for buyers and sellers. Perhaps by doing so we may see a reduction in claims for orders not received.

Thor

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think billing and shipping addresses are just what the name says: billing is the address associated with payment (where the credit card bill/bank statement goes); shipping is the address where the buyer wants the product to be delivered. I think that should be clear to every buyer (or at least the ones used to online shopping).

As for the reasons why someone should have different shipping/billing addresses I will give a couple of examples of my own customers: one has a vacation house where he likes to receive the Lego despite having the billing address in the city; another was generous and wanted to gift a set to a third party, hence the different address.

Ideally they will add the shipping address to the PayPal account so that PayPal/shipping match but there is no need for billing/shipping to match.