store front pricing display - does anyone else think a new customer might find it misleading?

assume I'm Mr Newbie..

OK, I've found myself browsing YELLOW FARM BRICKS store, I see a part that I want and see it is available in 10 colours, one being dark red.. great, I need 100 of those, price 2 pence, sounds good.. I click on it, 200 available in dark red, fantastic...OH, price each 50 pence, there are 2 available in black at 2 pence each... I feel a bit mislead to click on that item now, is that legal advertising?

sure I know how it works but I'm not comfortable with this. Should it say 10 colours available, price 2 pence to 50 pence depending on colour? That would be clumsy. How about it says price from 2 pence but if I hover my mouse pointer over the dark red colour it says price 50 pence?

I appreciate that is probably a lot of work, but I'm not very happy to advertise my dark red ones in my store front with price 2 pence displayed underneath. Obviously this is a non-issue for minifigs and sets.

what do others think?

Robert

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited July 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    It might help to explain the item shown in the picture on the category page correlates to the price, so if the dark red item is in the picture, the dark red price will be shown. The customer is never able to actually add something to their cart without seeing the price that correlates to the item they are trying to purchase. We could put "from" on all the prices in the category page potentially.
  • I agree it's a good point, I like the from ___ amount,

Myself if I was going to put something on a mouse over it would be quantity, or both.

I shop by quantity half as much or more as I do price. I was feeling similar with shopping, "ahh they have this, click, only one, disappointment"

Joe

• "It might help to explain the item shown in the picture on the category page correlates to the price, so if the dark red item is in the picture, the dark red price will be shown."

that would help remove any impression of being mislead, yes, but then it puts off a buyer who is looking for the black ones (Robert wants his cake and eat it... guilty!)

"The customer is never able to actually add something to their cart without seeing the price that correlates to the item they are trying to purchase."

agreed yes, it is the stage before that could be seen as misleading, I might not have bothered with this store at all if I saw the price was 50 pence, I was attracted by 2 pence and have wasted my time.

"We could put "from" on all the prices in the category page potentially."

that would seem to be the best quick fix IMO.

Thanks,

Robert
  • edited July 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Okay, I'm not a fan myself, but being the creator I will instinctively dislike anything that is different to what I have made.

If there is only one colour, or no colour, it will say "Price" otherwise it will say "From". Looks better than I thought it would
  • WOW that was quick, yes, looks OK to me now. I love the hover over idea on quantity and price though (as well as)... the more you do the more they'll want :D
  • Yes, pigeons. Just to check, Have you seen if you click the add to cart, it will show you a list with the prices and quantity etc?

I probably will make it so you can hover and it will change the picture/price. I have to have a think how to do it in a way that will not slow down the page load all.
  • yes indeed, once clicked on item all quantities and prices show to add to cart, that's good, no questions sir!

the hover would add a lot of value to buyers I think, that would be great, appreciate that page speed is important too - good call.
    Robert
  • ^^ Yes, hover -- or even just click the color box to refresh the tile with big picture and correct price. Click will be easier than hover, but hover would be more user intuitive.
  • Have you seen if you click the add to cart, it will show you a list with the prices and quantity etc?
    Actually, I quickly forgot that was there. :| I like the hover thing for it's own merits, the drop down great for adding from that page.

Seems like something like that for the "best selling"/ whatever section of the store page would be nice since there is no add to cart. (part of my forgetting) But I am torn a bit as a seller wanting customers deeper into my store.

• For me, it looks like it is only showing new prices with the from # and skipping used prices if they are there.