Free Shipping/choice of shipping

Have had a few local orders recently.
So have offered these customers free shipping if they collect. One of the customers asked if she can still choose the options for delivered by post. Is this possible?

Mark

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You can have many different shipping methods, including normal post and free collection, the customer can choose which to use.
  • @Mark this is what I do.
    I have a shipping option set-up for free delivery to my local area (Mankato, MN). I can't wait till BO expands so I can have this show for just Minnesota orders. I have not had anyone in Alaska yet request free delivery :P

Chris
  • We could also use per-province shipping methods up north :p. The parcel rates vary quite a bit within Canada.
  • I'd love to see a way of setting shipping methods up based on how www.ecwid.com does it. They allow you to design shipping 'zones' which can be entire continents, groups of countries (such as the EU) or even a single postal code within a particular city. You then set up shipping methods, and decide which methods apply to which zones, and then how much each combination costs. It sounds like a lot of work but it's very intuitive and you can easily ignore the complexity if you don't need it.

They provide default zones but allow users to delete these and make their own. This is useful for instance if one country's postal system considers the Isle of Man a part of the UK and thus charges the same rates, but another does not.

Ideally I'd like to see something that allows me to do the following:

Zones
    -----
    0: Everywhere
    1: UK
    2: UK excluding < these > post codes
    3: UK excluding < these > post codes
    4: UK post codes < these > only
    5: Europe
    6: Europe excluding < these countries >
    7: < these countries >
    8: Ukraine
    etc

Methods
    -------
    #: Quote Request
    A: Regular shipping
    B: Expedited shipping
    C: Same day
    D: Local pick-up
    E: Free shipping

Combinations (this is also where you'd set up thresholds, weight bands, etc.)
    ------------
    0D: £0
    0#: Quote Request
    1A: £1.10 < 100g, £2.30 < 200g, etc.
    1E: £0 subject to < threshold >
    2B: £8.80 < 1kg
    3C: £18.20 < 1kg
    4E: £0 subject to < threshold > (which would be lower than 1E)
    5A: £3.30 < 200g, etc.
    8*: deny custom

The * wildcard would allow you to over-ride what would otherwise be valid combinations. For example, an 8* would remove the 5A combination when the buyer lives in Ukraine. This would allow you to set a flat-rate price or perhaps deny shipping to a particular destination without having to manually alter all the other combinations. This would also allow you to make quick, short-term changes for promotional or political reasons.

If a particular address qualifies for multiples of the same method, for example a store has 'Regular Shipping' to Europe and also a cheaper 'Regular Shipping' to France, Belgium and Netherlands, only the cheapest 'Regular Shipping' should be offered.

It would also allow you to state whether orders destined for each zone should be charged VAT or Sales Tax, and potentially at what rate.

I imagine this would be a nightmare to set up but it offers the complexity we need in order to expand on the options we offer for buyers.
  • Eww, I never imagined something so complex, just optional subdivisions of certain countries (states, provinces, etc.) where it makes a difference.

I would assume Admin has more urgent features to work on, given the time investment required.
  • Thanks @admin I thought as much.
    @budgetkids I'll keep that in mind. I'm happy to refund postage and make contact at the moment.