Slopes angle error

"Slope 33º" and "Slope 75º" are both incorrect

Slope 33 is 25º
&
Slope 75 is 73º

I measured first then note that TLG have them listed as such.

They need correcting here and on BL as well as "everywhere else"

Comments

• 32 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • the other slopes appear correct
  • Righto, you can submit a name change for them
  • The 33° slope is actually 26.57°. When you stack them the resulting slope is 31°. Double check carefully before you make a bunch of changes. I measured them all using CAD and created a detailed chart here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuEDt_1kbL4pdENvb3c5aTg2WHRQZ0NNaXFaemVZekE&usp=sharing#gid=0

Brian
  • I never thought the angle referred to the actual slope.

Rather, it's the angle of the slope of an hypothetical triangle covering the volume of the slope. Perhaps we should keep it that way?
  • Could you explain more by what you mean regarding a hypothetical triangle?
  • Hum. Doing the math for what I meant by "hypothetical triangle", I actually get 31.6 degrees. Forget I said anything, it's incorrect either way! :)
  • I think this is not a good idea. The AFOL community has known 33° and 75° as the names of the slopes for years and years. I think this will make it harder for buyers to find them. I don't think we have too many buyers with advanced geometry degrees. :)
  • I agree with DadsAFOL.

If it is a must for precise angles, maybe add it as a note or description. But I would leave the name the same.

Chris

• Folks this is ridiculous - It's wrong - just because its "always been this way" - is NOT a justified reason to not correct it!!

To put this against a moment in history - I think everyone will have learned of the uproar when it was "revealed" the Earth was a sphere and not a disc!

All because somewhere back in BL history "someone" lacked BASIC math skills - the angle is 25º measured using my Technical Drawing* equipment which concurrs with TLG's description.

*the same kit architects used before CAD

Same with the "alleged" 75º degree slope which IS 73º

If this was a Monty Python sketch maybe I'd laugh…

To close how can any of you "lets leave it wrong" crowd continue refferring to a 33º slope when it's not!

I rarely get uptight or angry - however in this case I will add "Absurd" and "Ludicrous"

AFoL's = Adults teach kids SO will you now be telling your kids that a 25º is actually called a 33º - think about it before adding any more negs...

This major error needs correcting universally - how come it went so long undetected?

Thank You

/rant
  • Personally, I would agree to correct the names if we can get LDraw to change as well.

Consistency is very important. There's a naming convention in place and BrickOwl alone doesn't have the leadership (yet :) ) to initiate such a change. If LDraw agrees to correct the part names, then BrickOwl should follow.
  • I don't really understand how it could be wrong, for so long. Could anyone shed some light on why they may be the way they are?
  • I believe TLG likes to round to the nearest 5° increment. In the case of the 33°/25° slope, I believe I read this was an error on TLGs part and they actually changed the description of the part once or twice. You also get minutely different angles whether you measure the slope face or the overall slope of a stack of the pieces.

Brian
  • Nobody ever really thought the earth was flat. The Flat Earth Society is a modern creation. Anyways, I agree they should be changed providing it's possible for the search engine to also identify them as the old angles which some people will certainly be searching for.

I wonder if the degrees symbol was added later and the 33/75/etc originally meant something else, much as some road signs warn of 1 in 3 slopes, etc. What exactly I'm not sure though.
  • I second Stragus, no need to change them since BrickOwl hasn't the power yet to set the bar. LDraw is sort of the standard for that. Perhaps the suggestion is best made over there.

Better yet, since LDraw generally uses TLG references in regards to slopes, call TLG and have them change it.

:-P

Brian
  • Hey Brian & Stragus two things :-

1) TLG refer to them all as 25º slopes - now i've only been back "into" LEGO since 2008 - since then (until 2011) I thought that BL represented the Bible of LEGO. So as to when and if TLG changed them - I have no knowledge.

2) If LDraw use TLG references then maybe they should update - I don't have the software, as I don't build that way…

The only reason I came across the error is when I found two windscreen pieces that have identical listings and almost got me with an incorrect order - they are both 1x3x4 however one has a 25º slope to it, the other (if I remember correctly) was 53º - I was going to edit them then I realized the slope that I had measured as 25º was the same as "slope 33º" so I held off the edit - and began this thread.

My Wife had a suggestion, at least for now, would be to incorporate "33" in the listing and perhaps label them as Slope 25º (Slope 33) or (AKA Slope 33) in brackets without the º symbol. I really feel the correct angle should be in the listing - because going forwards eventually it will be known as "Slope 25" or "Slope 25º"

I also discovered your 26.67º - I believe that is likely an incorrect entry of the part itself in LDraw - the physical part has a small lip at the front (approx ⅔ height of a tile), if that front lip is excluded/ignored and the piece is drawn to a point instead then you do get a slightly steeper angle - I got 27º ± (I can't measure accurately in less than 1º, altho it sat somewhere between 26ºand 27º.

Also if you build up the slopes you still have 25º only their are slight ridges due to the lip at front - I think the 31º maybe a cummulative error from th epoint above

This is also a good bit of PR if BrickOwl take the lead with this…

Once LDraw update their info - I guess BL will have to follow - I'm not in good favor there so someone who is better liked may fair better!

I also don't frequent other forums to spread this so perhaps someone else could?

I also feel the same ammendment should be made to as "Slope 73º (Slope 75)"

Thing is ALL the other slopes are correct 10º … 18º … 45º and 65º

Graham

• … and if interested i've been playing with my TD equipment (it was one of my favorite subjects - no surprise!!)

I have been able to reproduce ⋍33º with the flaws that caused this (Brian these are approx, within 0.5 mm)

If you take 1 stud length is 8mm and 1 stud high is 11mm - then you draw two sides of a triangle (I converted to cm's) 16mm (2 studs long) and 11mm high, then the angle between the longest side and the hypotenuse is close to 33º

the problem there is the 11mm includes the stud, and also that lip is ignored too (which is close to 2mm)

Maybe not quite "basic math" these days - certainly was in my day

There is the cause, Graham
  • In the BL catalog help section it notes:

"Slopes include an approximation of the degree of the slope in their descriptions. Some common degrees are 33, 45, 65, and 75."

I don't think it is likely that BL will ever change this policy. It just looks tidier on the page and is easier for people to remember and search for. I think the best we could expect (on BL, here, and elsewhere) is a "true angle" field, where the exact angle accurate to 2 decimal points could be stored and displayed. The "traditionally accepted" angle would still be the one included in the item name.

A real-world example is the ubiquitous 2 x 4 - the beam of wood, not the Lego brick ;). Notice the chart "North American Softwood Dimensional Lumber Sizes" in this Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumber

It lists "nominal" and "actual" values for each size. According to the chart, a "2 x 4" actually measures 1.5 x 3.5 inches. The paragraphs that follow contain a brief history of these nominal measurements. It is tradition that keeps this convention alive, to be sure, even though it could be construed as false advertising every time someone walks into Home Depot and sees signs for a 2 x 4 but walks out with something significantly smaller.

• … and if interested i've been playing with my TD equipment (it was one of my favorite subjects - no surprise!!)

I have been able to reproduce ⋍33º with the flaws that caused this (Brian these are approx, within 0.5 mm)

If you take 1 stud length is 8mm and 1 stud high is 11mm - then you draw two sides of a triangle (I converted to cm's) 16mm (2 studs long) and 11mm high, then the angle between the longest side and the hypotenuse is close to 33º

the problem there is the 11mm includes the stud, and also that lip is ignored too (which is close to 2mm)

Maybe not quite "basic math" these days - certainly was in my day

There is the cause, Graham
    Studs are 8mm wide, 9.6mm tall. The lip on the front is 1.6mm tall +/-. It can vary with the era of the part. The 33° slope is actually 26.57° across the face. Formula would be arctan(h/l) where h=9.6-1.6 and l=16.

Did you see my document at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuEDt_1kbL4pdENvb3c5aTg2WHRQZ0NNaXFaemVZekE&usp=sharing#gid=0

???

Brian

• @quigley

I used to sell carpets for many years.
    A standard 5X8 carpet in actuality is about 5.7ft by 7.8ft (depending on brand)
    Same thing for 8X11 carpets. We refereed to them as 5x8 rugs even though they really weren't, but if a person was needing to fit the carpet in a specific area, we would get them the exact measurement.

I like the idea of calling it the current name, but adding the "Actual measurement xx.xx" and also placing this in a tag so it is searchable. This is exactly how the area rug carpet industry does it.

Chris
  • I'm very frustrated that this change to the catalog was implemented without further discussion. Please at least put both the colloquial value in with the true value.

Something like "Slope 33º (act. 25º) 3 x 1"
    or "Slope 25º (aka 33º) 3 x 1"

I got a text from one of my employees yesterday trying to pull orders asking "what the hell is a slope 25º?"

BO is not a catalogue purist site. Its a commercial shopping site. We need to remember to keep it easy for buyers to find what they are looking for.

• In complete agreement with DadsAFOL there. BrickOwl can not initiate such a change from the established convention everywhere. Put the real angle in a separate field (not in the name) somewhere if you must.
  • @DadsAFOL
    @Stragus

Agreed. The "original" name should be in its name for customers who frequently buy.
    We have recently learned the truth about the angles, so buyers are definitely uninformed about this and will cause issues. If a seasoned seller like dadsAFOL crew can't figure it out, how is a buyer to do so?

Chris
  • The best thing to do would be to come to some sort of consensus and then submit a name edit request. The previous name changes were approved before this thread was created highlighting users differing views, subsequent requests have not yet been approved pending some sort of consensus/solution.
  • I prefer the first one @DadsAFOL stated: "Slope 33º (act. 25º) 3 x 1"

@Community is this good with you?
  • I should also add, I'm confused as to what the actual angles should be, when it's agreed how to format the name.
  • My vote: stick to LDraw naming conventions. If they change, then follow. Until then, a "Slope 33 3 x 1" should remain a "Slope 33 3 x 1" rather than a "Slope 33 (actual 25 or 31.6 depending on method) 3 x 1".
  • "Slope 33º (act. 25º) 3 x 1" works for me.
    I know it as a slope 33º and so do most buyer, even if they know the name is wrong for the angle.

Katie
  • edited May 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I'd go with what TLG currently calls them. Tag any other names/info.
  • Honestly before this I don't think I have paid attention to the number of degrees, I have a mental picture of it (3 stud run for one brick rise) and work with the part number or picture.

I don't figure many will be confused for long whatever it is named, makes little difference to me.
  • edited May 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    To actually propose wording

Slope 25° 1 X 3 (I could easily live with 3 x 1)

The LDraw name is attached to the part already. Peeron has the same name too. If these names are open to search people would find the part with the 33 name.

Leave it clean and tidy, the new generation coming from the LEGO site sees the same name as the pick a brick site. More people googling for their first time will see the name LEGO gives it, follow the larger emerging market rather than the smaller traditional market.

That's my pitch, second choice would be as Stragus suggested with the LEGO Name searchable. However the tags work best to search both names.
  • Honestly before this I don't think I have paid attention to the number of degrees, I have a mental picture of it (3 stud run for one brick rise) and work with the part number or picture.

I don't figure many will be confused for long whatever it is named, makes little difference to me.
    Point 2 agreed!

Point 1 - me neither until I came across those two "windscreens" with identical descriptions but different designs (slopes) - how to enter them to differentiate? I certainly couldn't submit an angle knowing it was wrong.

Hopefully someone will persuade BL - and LDraw IF they follow TLG convention then they just need an update :)

Sorted!! :)