part variations and catalog divergence

a few questions...

Example

part 62821

The image you have in your catalog if for the new variation of this part. Interestingly it does NOT have inner tabs but what may be described as a box.

The previous variation has a few differences in the mold, the "tabs" being the most obvious, and I have seen some interesting things done with that old kind to "lock" the differential where you could not do it with the new ones.

The two parts are not distinguished on bricklink. (No need to go into details.) Maybe they will be one day.

So first, I don't know if I am asking too soon, but I have not seen info for creating variants. I'm assuming it would be as easy as create item and explain? Fix up the name of the new one...

Second, just to make sure I have my thinking right. This catalog stands alone, has whatever you chose to have in it. Any catalog divergence elsewhere will be maintained best you can with external id's put on an item. Resolving items that diverge between one source and another, especially in regards to a CSV file sync, will be our own issue to deal with.

Thanks

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I often think of ways I could have been more clear, I am not asking nor suggesting you to solve these kind of issues between catalogs. Just making a plan for managing inventory. I am liking that this catalog stands alone, not just a copy of Peeron... :)
  • The short answer is, we will support variants, we will try to add entries for all of them, and have them linked up so you can see a part comes in many variants. Sellers can decide if they want to list of variants, or not. All parts can have external IDs attached to them to support importing.
  • Thanks,

I might have long questions but I have no problem with short answers.
  • So, how do I edit variants? Take the simple 2x4 plate 3020. There's no choice 'variants' in the top line, and the part is said to be in ABS. Now, if I want to do the inventory for some vintage sets, I can't choose for example CA, ABS pat pend etc as there's no such entry. As common parts will have many variants, I would like to have 'variants' in the top line, and then the possibility to edit the listed variants (and/or to add more).